Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety bird
It drives me nuts when I hear that the fuel surcharge doesn't always go to the person who is PAYING for the DANGED FUEL.

I'm going to stop posting now so as to avoid a really long rant. People are just crooks.
It drives me nuts when I hear that there are supposed businessmen that will accept a load knowing there isn't enough $$ in it to make a profit.

Tell me again why do we need legislation to protect stupid people? :roll:

Suppose this law passes and the brokers just play with the numbers lowering the rate and adding a FSC. Half of these boneheads would be wetting themselves that they are getting a FSC when in reality the load pays the same as before. It is all smoke and mirrors.
Here we go again.

I think we are missing the main benefit of a transparent, 100% pass through FSC. That is, when a broker charges the shipper and extra $50 due solely to an increase in fuel price, said broker will be forced to pass it on or explain to the shipper where that money went. I support mandatory transparency with a stiff penalty for violators.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Board Regular

And Rank, I support truck owners being smart enough when the broker tells him there is no FSC to say thanks but no thanks and keep looking. If enough did that, then the brokers would have to cough it up, as they wouldn't have any trucks. It is simple supply and demand. As long as there are those that will take substandard rates, the brokers will keep offering them.

We don't need the government meddling in every failing business trying to prop them up.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Just because it doesn't include a FSC, a rate is substandard?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The fuel surcharge is irrelevant if the rate is high enough. I would not turn down a load simply because there wasn't a fsc as long as the rate was there.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member

As an O/O leased into a company:

One year ago I looked at the rate, and decided if it was good enough without the fsc. It didn't matter what area the load was going into for delivery, or IF there would be a load out of that area.

Six months ago, I started looking at where was the load going, and how much deadhead was I going to have to do, if I accepted the load at the offered rate.

Five months ago I started adding the Linehaul and the FSC, running the practical miles, and looking at where was the next load coming from. Five month's ago I started turning down loads on a regular basis, simply because of where they went.

Last month I started telling the dispatchers, on the qualcomm not the cell phone, that if the rate, fsc and the load accessorials did not make a load profitable, why should I take it. I have sent practical mileage figures on every load for the last month, with the breakdown of how much I expected to spend on fuel, how much it would cost in tolls, and how much it would cost to deadhead to the closest terminal.

Since I started doing all of these things, my rates to the truck have been marginally better.....but only marginally.

I see guy's on here yapping about "supposed businessmen" and their rate acceptance practices. What qualifications do those whom berate others have, as it pertains to the discussion, or rates to the truck in general?

Do I agree with this legislation? No---absolutely not. The Congressman whom wrote it knows less about "To the Truck" mileage rates and the fuel surcharge, than he does about the color of his car, or the cost of a bottle of milk.

Do Brokers need to be honest on their "pass through" methods when it comes to paying a fair rate to the truck. Yes...but congress is not going to make that happen. That horse already left the barn years ago, and is not going back in. The percentage of fair and honest Brokers out there is smaller now than it has ever been. There are those whom used to pay a fair rate to the truck, whom no longer do so. CHRobinson and Landstar are examples of two brokerages that I know of, whom have lost their luster, due to unfair pricing practices.

Do truck owners need to practice better math skills, as it pertains to their trucking operations? Yes..absolutely...but once a truck owner has slid behind the 8-ball, when it comes to low rates, it becomes an uphill battle to get out from behind that 8-ball.

We aren't all working through brokers. Some of us must deal directly with the Carrier with whom we are leased, and have little imput when it comes to load rates and fuel surcharges. The only thing we have control of, is how much do we deadhead..or sit at home.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Part Time;

I guess I don't see how a transparent FSC is propping up a failing trucking company. Nor do I see how a 100% pass thru is propping up a failing trucking company. If anything, it will benefit the shipper more than the truck because once the shipper sees that the truck is not getting it, he will stop paying some of it.

I am not advocating setting rates or giving a truck more money. Only that the rate, however you want to cut it up, is known to all.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
And Rank, I support truck owners being smart enough when the broker tells him there is no FSC to say thanks but no thanks and keep looking. If enough did that, then the brokers would have to cough it up, as they wouldn't have any trucks. It is simple supply and demand. As long as there are those that will take substandard rates, the brokers will keep offering them.

We don't need the government meddling in every failing business trying to prop them up.
As an independent ,FSC is moot unless you're setting up a contract with a shipper.
I can see how it would help leased operators though.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohaa
Quote:

As an independent ,FSC is moot unless you're setting up a contract with a shipper.
I can see how it would help leased operators though.
Not necessarily. Say I move one load for a broker that is paying me $1400. With rate disclosure on the BOL, it may be seen that the shipper is paying $1,000 + $750 FSC.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Not necessarily. Say I move one load for a broker that is paying me $1400. With rate disclosure on the BOL, it may be seen that the shipper is paying $1,000 + $750 FSC.
It doesn't mean you're going to get more money.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
As I have stated and hoohah reiterated, a FSC is great for a leased O/O, but for us independants it is a moot point.

As for your example above.... work on your negotiating skills, and the broker is allowed to make money...