User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Merrick, also you can set the ECM on the truck to have it shut down at lets say ten minutes or a pre-determined amount of time. Also, it's hard to get an average speed of 60. With traffic and stops in there it is usually lower. Unless your running the wide open country side the entire time.
Does he know you have this device on the truck? I'll agree with the other guys. Just let him know nicely what you want him to improve on, and if he doesn't try then you know he doesn't care. Give him a little time and then make your decision.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Update:

04/08/2008 19:00 n/a
Latest reading 04/14/2008 07:00 n/a
Report duration 132.00 hours n/a
DISTANCE/FUEL
Odometer 137524.9 to 140397.4 n/a
Total Distance 2,872.5 miles avg 522.3 / day
Total Fuel 502.750 gallons n/a
Average MPG 5.71 miles/gallon n/a
Average Speed 61.1 mph n/a
TIME BREAKOUT
Engine Time 74.51 hours 56.5%
Moving Time 47.04 hours 35.6%
Over RPM Time 0.00 minutes 0.0%
Over Speed Time 30.39 hours 64.6%
Excess Speed Time 0.06 hours 0.1%
IDLE BREAKOUT
Long Idle Time 25.31 hours 34.0%
Long Idle Count 44 avg 34.51 mins each
Long Idle Fuel 8.467 gallons avg 0.19 gals each
Short Idle Time 2.16 hours 2.9%
Short Idle Count 197 avg 40 seconds each
Short Idle Fuel 1.618 gallons avg 0.01 gals each
PTO BREAKOUT

Ok thanks for all the comments. First off I have a driver already for the truck that I know won't idle. This other guy is new for my friend; he didn't have a truck for him yet.

I don't know, maybe this thing is wrong, how could it only average 8 gallons for 25 hours? As for whether he knows how to use the APU I asked him numerous times if he understood how to use it.

You know, I hear you guys about being overly strict 'bout things but the way I look at it, I will do anything for a driver. I will pay them virtually immediately on receipt of clean paperwork. I will get them home if they need to. I expect the same in return.

On top of that, this guy is running like a cowboy. I don't think he sleeps. He did like 1000 + miles without sleeping. I tried to tell him to slow down and take it easy but he "needs to make money".

He's making money alright. He left Thursday and delivers tomorrow and has grossed to the truck $5300.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Long Idle Time 25.31 hours 34.0%
Long Idle Count 44 avg 34.51 mins each
Long Idle Fuel 8.467 gallons avg 0.19 gals each
Yeah I wondered about that also? Could that be for the APU? seems like that would be the average for an apu .3 gals an hour.

If he is averaging 60+ mph he running her hard,mostly 65-70+,it would be hard to get a rolling avg. above 50mph,I think that is where your fuel milage is taking a hit.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Merrick...

From reading your posts I have always thought you had a good grasp on running a business. But, putting a driver in your one truck operation is a terrible idea with the current economics of scale.... Above your post stated the driver ran 1k miles w/o sleep.... consider the liability if he crashes into the Smith family on their summer vacation..... IMHO what you are doing, the liabilities far outweigh the returns.... My 2 cents...
Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Mike, APU is not counted for the idling. Well I would think it wouldn't be. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and ask. I don't see how it could track the APU, it works off the ECM.

Big D, thanks for your comments and you are right and I didn't agree to him doing that.

What happened, I'm not sure if I mentioned this already, the broker CHR was pushing him. I kept calling them up and then finally I kind of lost it with them. The guy told me "well I asked the driver if he could make it and he said yes."

I told him it was my truck and as for asking the driver, you don't put a chocolate cake in front of a 10 year old. The broker admitted that he won't be standing there with me in court if something happens.

This guy won't listen to me and that is another reason he is getting out of the truck. Believe me I'm not going to lose my safety rating and/or my house over this guy.

As to putting a man in a one truck operation, that's why I'm going to buy another one . No I'm kidding. I actually liked being out there, and who knows maybe I'll end up out there again. I just want to explore other avenues as well.

Thanks again for the comments.

PS. I just called People Net and asked how it could have idled 25 hours and only used 8 gallons but he didn't know.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
... the broker CHR was pushing him..
Brokers NEVER get the cell phone numbers of my drivers. Brokers deal only with me and I have lost loads over this issue but too bad for them.

Idling aside, sounds like this driver aint all that bad. He's not afraid of the miles at least. If you're paying a driver by the mile, he's going to put as many miles under him as he can....and that means speeding, or log violations or both. You need to give him a different carrot if you want him to do otherwise. We have great drivers but they are all 70+ mph drivers and are not interested in MPG's whatsoever. If I slowed them down they would quit.

Best to figure on 4 mpg when doing your cost with a driver driven truck.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

I have to admit Rank this guy knows how to move. He's happy too. I think he's always dealt with Mickey Mouse operators. He said today all he needs is better music system in the truck and he'd move right in.

By the way Rank, I just ordered this new thing that you might be interested in.

www.magicjack.com/7/index.asp

Supposedly for $40 for the unit, and all calls to U.S. and Canada are free. Hope it is of some use for you.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Why not take the truck to the dealer and have the ECM adjusted to shut the truck down after 5 minutes of idling?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll have to say. I'm going against conventional wisdom here.. I agree with Merrick.. when ever i worked for someone. i did what they wanted. the way they wanted. NO incentives. imo... folks have gotten soft & lazy. dont dare ask employees to do something specific. if may offend them. I'm just old school. boss's usually demand performance. not ask for it. I'm not saying i would fire the guy. but i sure would find out what the idling was for.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Board Regular

Can the driver, Heavy is right. To many soft minded lazy (you fill in the blank) people out here. If he cannot follow directions now, what makes any of you think he will follow them tomorrow?

Been there, DONE THAT! And damn glad to be rid of them all!

Just kidding, kinda. But with taxes, workmans comp and unemployment insurance, it was cheaper in the long run to sell my 5 trucks and trailers. Long story, just glad it is all gone.

Mike