User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A question to you O/O

First off I want to say this is not an add or anything I just need some information and feel that going to the source is the best course of action for me to take.

Here is the question. I am thinking about doing books for o/o's from home. My uncle is an o/o and I know what kinds of things that need to be taken care of. I am sure there are drivers out there like him that know a bit about computers but not enough to take care of all the things that need to be taken care of while an o/o is out on the road. I am based in Joplin Mo a Trucking town to be shure.

The services I would offer would be like a secritary would. Organizing all paperwork and keeping files ready for tax time, along with having all your taxes ready itemized for the tax professionals. ( I am not a tax person and would not market that I am) But would take your taxes to whomever you wished or mailed them to whomever you wished. O/O's could call me and talk to a live person and I would take care of most anything that they needed. Including but not limited to organizing reciepts, making hotel reservations, resturaunt reservations, making phone calls on your behalf, sending emails, letters, balancing check books, making online money transfers and anything that a trucker can come up with can be discussed but not guarnteed.

So, do you O/O's think that this type of service is needed in the trucking comunity? Do you think that this is something that other truckers would use? I would chage 100-300 a month depending on the amount of service I need to provide to the trucker. Prices would be on a person to person bases.

Any thoughts let me know.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Keeping the books including quarterly fuel tax reporting doesn't take more than an hour or two per month. As far as motel reservations go, that is easily accomplished from the truck, restaurant resvervations aren't on most drivers radar.
$100.00 to $300.00 per month seems a bit steep for a stay at home mommy with spelling issues, most home based bookkeepers charge much less.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:29 PM
BANNED
Default Re: A question to you O/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommyof3
First off I want to say this is not an add or anything I just need some information and feel that going to the source is the best course of action for me to take.

Here is the question. I am thinking about doing books for o/o's from home. My uncle is an o/o and I know what kinds of things that need to be taken care of. I am sure there are drivers out there like him that know a bit about computers but not enough to take care of all the things that need to be taken care of while an o/o is out on the road. I am based in Joplin Mo a Trucking town to be shure.

The services I would offer would be like a secritary would. Organizing all paperwork and keeping files ready for tax time, along with having all your taxes ready itemized for the tax professionals. ( I am not a tax person and would not market that I am) But would take your taxes to whomever you wished or mailed them to whomever you wished. O/O's could call me and talk to a live person and I would take care of most anything that they needed. Including but not limited to organizing reciepts, making hotel reservations, resturaunt reservations, making phone calls on your behalf, sending emails, letters, balancing check books, making online money transfers and anything that a trucker can come up with can be discussed but not guarnteed.

So, do you O/O's think that this type of service is needed in the trucking comunity? Do you think that this is something that other truckers would use? I would chage 100-300 a month depending on the amount of service I need to provide to the trucker. Prices would be on a person to person bases.

Any thoughts let me know.

Two thoughts......

One.... I would not entrust my financials to anyone who cannot spell even the simplest of words....

Two.... I would hope the OP has signed the appropriate advertising contract with the owners of this site....
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Rookie

Again this is not an ad, I am not currently doing anything. I am wanting to know and have some feed back on the idea. I am not sure how much to charge, how much would be needed or if it would even work out. This would not be my ONLY job and am there for don't need to make that much it was just what I was thinking depending on what needed to be done. The fact that I am asking for opinions and getting rudeness does not go to show that this site is the right place for me to seek advice from some of the most trusted professionals in this county.

I know, and have been on the road with truck drivers. I know there is a lot to take care of. My uncle pays someone 100 a month to take care of everything he needs and he is the one that gave me the idea. Sorry about my type-o's as well I will try to be more alert when I post on here not to offend the collage grads.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
collage grads
Would that be people that graduate with a degree in cutting out magazine pictures and glueing them to posterboard?

:?

As far as your request, it wouldn't be considered spam except that you have put it in your sig line to contact you regarding services. Therefore, it is spam and is advertising and if you haven't cleared it with the owners of the site, you are violating the terms of service.

The moderators and posters on this site take a very dim view regarding spam. If it looks like it and smells like it, it probably is. I would clear your ad request with the site owners and then post in the appropriate forum.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Again this is not an ad, I am not currently doing anything. I am wanting to know and have some feed back on the idea. I am not sure how much to charge, how much would be needed or if it would even work out. This would not be my ONLY job and am there for don't need to make that much it was just what I was thinking depending on what needed to be done. That is not a sentence... The fact that I am asking for opinions and getting rudeness does not go to show that this site is the right place for me to seek advice from some of the most trusted professionals in this county. Again... terrible sentence structure I know, and have been on the road with truck drivers. I know there is a lot to take care of. My uncle pays someone 100 a month to take care of everything he needs and he is the one that gave me the idea. Sorry about my type-o's as well I will try to be more alert when I post on here not to offend the collage Sigh.. I give up... grads
And yes this is an advertisement for services......
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Your sig line has been removed, by the way. Please do not use the sig line to advertise...it is a very quick way to lose your posting privileges.

I see no problem with asking questions on what drivers would consider a worthwhile service. But keep it to questions and do not advertise for people to contact you for your services. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Again this is not an ad, I am not currently doing anything. I am wanting to know and have some feed back on the idea. I am not sure how much to charge, how much would be needed or if it would even work out. This would not be my ONLY job and am there for don't need to make that much it was just what I was thinking depending on what needed to be done. The fact that I am asking for opinions and getting rudeness does not go to show that this site is the right place for me to seek advice from some of the most trusted professionals in this county.

I know, and have been on the road with truck drivers. I know there is a lot to take care of. My uncle pays someone 100 a month to take care of everything he needs and he is the one that gave me the idea. Sorry about my type-o's as well I will try to be more alert when I post on here not to offend the collage grads.
the fact that you can't handle what little criticism the drivers on here handed you should be proof enough that you are not thick skinned enough to deal with drivers. As for collage grads you probably should watch making comments like that. there are plenty of people who went to collage and then chose to drive a truck. sorry not all truck drivers are stupid and most can spot a scam a mile away. for what ever reason people seem to think that drivers make an easy target. honestly there are companies and people out there that can do all of what you are offering and they can do it better, cheaper and have experience.

little advice, its not a good idea to come onto a site, ask for advice and then bite the hand that feeds. certainly not good if you where planning on soliciting any of the people on here for your services. In the future when you ask a question be prepared to handle the answers, even if they are not what you want to hear. A good business owner accepts the negative, learns from it and adjusts. A poor business owner gets defensive alienates themselves and trudges stubbornly down a losing path.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Rookie

Sorry about the signature line. I thought at the time I put it on there that it would only go on emails. That is my fault. I am sorry. I did remove it though even before the admin.

Again, I really want some solid advice. Is this a service that truckers would use? I had a site tell me that only o/o's would use this kind of a service and that is why I came here. I am just wanting some information. I am not wanting to cause anyone any trouble or anything like that. If you all would rather me take my question else where just say so.

Thank you,
smommyof3
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Rookie

the fact that you can't handle what little criticism the drivers on here handed you should be proof enough that you are not thick skinned enough to deal with drivers. As for collage grads you probably should watch making comments like that. there are plenty of people who went to collage and then chose to drive a truck. sorry not all truck drivers are stupid and most can spot a scam a mile away. for what ever reason people seem to think that drivers make an easy target. honestly there are companies and people out there that can do all of what you are offering and they can do it better, cheaper and have experience.

I didn't mean to imply that truckers are stupid, I was actually meaning that I did not go to collage. Like I said before my uncle drives a truck and he is if I haven’t said before one of the smartest people I know. I look up to him a great deal. I am looking for something that I can do from home, and get off all the aids that I have. I want to be independent. I want to make something of myself. That I can be proud of. I don't think that is such a bad thing. I thank all of you for your help.
Have a nice day.