LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: stolen fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mopar
3. do NOT buy locking fuel caps a honest person is not who you have to worry about and a locked fuel cap will not stop a theif,
If a thief has the choice between quietly and quickly stealing fuel from an unlocked tank, or a locked tank that he has to make noise and take time hammering through, which one do you think he is going to go after? :roll:

I suppose with your thinking, nobody should bother locking their truck either, since we don't have to worry about the honest people. :roll:
Old 05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: stolen fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mopar
3. do NOT buy locking fuel caps a honest person is not who you have to worry about and a locked fuel cap will not stop a theif,
If a thief has the choice between quietly and quickly stealing fuel from an unlocked tank, or a locked tank that he has to make noise and take time hammering through, which one do you think he is going to go after? :roll:

I suppose with your thinking, nobody should bother locking their truck either, since we don't have to worry about the honest people. :roll:
A criminal always takes the path of least resistance. I know there are exceptions to the rule always, but for the most part. A locking cap will automatically send the person to the next choice. I highly doubt a criminal would walk up to a truck and stab a hole in the tank,...unless they know for a fact that they won't be caught.
The thing with a sleeper is that you never know who will step out of the truck and administer a proper a$$whoopin'
Old 05-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Rookie

the pipe will go thru a fuel tank with one tap(its very quiet) and your tank will be sucked dry in less than 5 mins. these are not the drivers that whats to steal 20 gallon but the whole tank of fuel and there are more and more of these people out here than you think, they will have a high volume 12 volt pump plumbed right into ther own tank. and as fuel prices go higher and higher it will get worse.all i am saying is if they are dead set on getting your fuel they will and if your tank is locked and they have this set up(and this set up has been around a very long time) you will have to patch or replace your fuel tank. I note you only picked on item #3 which can mimimized by following common sense. and yes rev. I have been in trucking my whole life and until the 80,s we never had to lock doors because drivers looked for one another you never had to worry about theives but it is a new breed that is out here today and we are the worse for it
Old 05-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Rookie
Default Stolen Fuel

I was in Cuba MO at that big truck stop with the shitty parking lot. I had parked near the Streakin Beacon side but in the front row. Went to bed when I got up I went to start the truck but it would not start cause my tanks had been sucked dry. When I looked in the tanks I could see the mark the pipe left in the bottom. They were so quiet never heard a sound.
Spoke with the mechanic and he stated that 3 guys had there tanks drained across the street at the Days Inn. This had been going on for about 3 weeks . And of course the place had no security or the cops cruising thru the lots.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member

I have the opposite problem. Two mornings lately I have woken to find my fuel tanks had been filled mysteriously without me hearing it.

Our Home depot dedicated division of TMC has a fuel truck come to the yard every night and fill all the trucks in the line. The best part is that I don't have to log it as on duty, especially since I can sleep through it. :wink:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member

I had anti-siphon screens spec'd in my tanks out of the gate. Stolen fuel has not been a recent issue. I can remember fuel being stolen early on in my career. The screens will only let someone get a few gallons if the tanks are totally full, otherwise they would have to go to real extremes to get at the fuel. I guess they could just knock a hole in the tank, but then there is no "foolproof" method to stop the most dedicated thief.