User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default anyone use a dispatch service

Wanted some input from the O/Os on this board about using a dispatch service that does some of the basic things you need but does not actually broker the freight. A friend of mine just became an O/O and wants me to handle his dispatch (find the loads, negotiate a price he'll accept, fax paperwork to shipper and driver). He's suggested I do it for some other O/Os as well to make it worth my time. I've checked, and as long as my name's not on any freight invoice, I don't need any license through the FMCSA.
So, my first question, is anyone using a dispatch servce, b)are you satisfied it's worth your time/money/energy; and c) what's a fair way of setting a cost (percentage versus flat fee). Are there other services you could add to this that makes sense (helping route around toll roads, etc.).
I've only found a few dispatch services online; most of the others are freight brokers, and while getting a freight broker's license isn't that difficult, I don't feel like putting out the money for something I'm not really going to do, ie make 40-50 cold calls a day to shippers.
I've seen one or two references on this board in the past (I think one of the new O/Os was using one when he started a thread here last year) so I'd like the input of O/Os here.
Obviously O/Os could and can do any service I would offer; the difference is not everyone wants to have the whole wireless office setup in their trucks, or can afford it when they first start their businesses. And it's not always possible to be near a large truckstop when you're looking for a back haul.
Thanks in advance for your constructive comments.
Professor427
Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: anyone use a dispatch service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor427
Wanted some input from the O/Os on this board about using a dispatch service that does some of the basic things you need but does not actually broker the freight. A friend of mine just became an O/O and wants me to handle his dispatch (find the loads, negotiate a price he'll accept, fax paperwork to shipper and driver). He's suggested I do it for some other O/Os as well to make it worth my time. I've checked, and as long as my name's not on any freight invoice, I don't need any license through the FMCSA.
So, my first question, is anyone using a dispatch servce, b)are you satisfied it's worth your time/money/energy; and c) what's a fair way of setting a cost (percentage versus flat fee). Are there other services you could add to this that makes sense (helping route around toll roads, etc.).
I've only found a few dispatch services online; most of the others are freight brokers, and while getting a freight broker's license isn't that difficult, I don't feel like putting out the money for something I'm not really going to do, ie make 40-50 cold calls a day to shippers.
I've seen one or two references on this board in the past (I think one of the new O/Os was using one when he started a thread here last year) so I'd like the input of O/Os here.
Obviously O/Os could and can do any service I would offer; the difference is not everyone wants to have the whole wireless office setup in their trucks, or can afford it when they first start their businesses. And it's not always possible to be near a large truckstop when you're looking for a back haul.
Thanks in advance for your constructive comments.
Professor427

The last few I looked at were not worth a crap at all. It would be easier to just post your truck and have the brokers call you.There are even a few small shippers that sometimes scour the loadboards.