User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bio Diesel or B100 and how does it work for you?

I make bio diesel or B100.

There is an active club that I am in and we teach others all about making the B100 and the cost savings in doing so.

Does anyone run B100 in there truck and how has the performance been since they started running it?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Bio-fuel in a trucks is bad. Worst fuel mileage I get is with B-10..B-20 is bad too.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Thank you for your input on your bio diesel reply....

B100 or straight bio diesel is a high solvent liquid, but needs a warmer temperature to operate properly. An additive is needed in colder climates. Also B100 was used for a TransAtlantic flight with a jet and the owner was Branson, owner of Virgin Airways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Bio-fuel in a trucks is bad. Worst fuel mileage I get is with B-10..B-20 is bad too.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty

B100 or straight bio diesel is a high solvent liquid, but needs a warmer temperature to operate properly. An additive is needed in colder climates. Also B100 was used for a TransAtlantic flight with a jet and the owner was Branson, owner of Virgin Airways.

Quote:
LOL.... So..your here to promote Bio-fuel?

Tell me...what process do you use to manufacture Bio-fuel? (yes..I know..it is proprietary)
What is your source of raw material? (IE; Soybean, corn, rice, fruit, etc.)
What energy components do you use to process the fuel? (IE; Electricity, natural Gas, Propane, Hog fuel..etc.)

If you bothered to read the articale on Virgin's "Bio-fuel" flight..they flew the plane from Heathrow airport to Amsterdam....about 250 miles...with only a "portion" of the flight powered by bio-fuel. They do not say how much of the flight was powered by bio-fuel specificly, nor the quantity of fuel used during flight..nor do they specify what percentages the "carbon fuel to bio-fuel" mix was. They do allude to having tested a 60-40 mix. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I know of a company based over in Conroe TX that makes Bio-fuel. They tried to run their company pickups on "pure bio-fuel". In 100 plus degree heat, the fuel was to thick for the fuel pump to move. They had to cut it to a 75% diesel-25% biofuel mix, before the fuel pump could move it..their fuel mileage on that mix was 3.5 miles to the gallon...in a Chevy Pickup with a Duramax engine. They now use a mix of 80-20 for their pickups and their CMV's. They haul their components used to manufacture bio-fuel from a plant in this area. One component is sodium-methylate the other is naptha..both of which are "petroleum" based ingredients.

I'm all for clean air. I however, do not accept the "con" that goes into "green" fuel alternatives. Oxygenated gasoline is good for the air....bad for ground water. Bio-diesel is good for the pocketbook of those whom produce it..bad for the pocketbook of those whom purchase it.

Why is it people want to impress with their "green" fuel, while ignoring the fact that the production of bio-fuel consumes more "carbon" energy than it replaces, while the actual use of the bio-fuel, reduces the miles per gallon a vehicle gets from that source, there-by causing increased consumption of the base fuel...diesel? Exhaust that smells like french fries was "novel" when it started...but I do not buy it.

By the way...Pilot Truckstops, the largest marketer of Bio-diesel(B-20) on the Gulfcoast...stopped selling it during the winter months, due to the "gel" factor.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Rookie

Our club uses soybean and or canola....

We have selected places for pickup, hospitals, pizza parlors, clubs etc etc.

What we use is electricity to heat the mixture up in a 40 gallon hot water heater, we add lye and methanol alcahol (sic), alky race fuel for funny cars, we could use an acid, but choose ALKY instead.

We get back 99% of the ALKY through a distillation process.

Also we get glycerin for washing our cars and trucks, dish washing, clothes washing too. We also get soap as a result so nothing goes to waste. The 1% of ALKY is dissapated, but we are looking to convert that into a vapor process to use in something we are working on.

Our trucks and cars run on B100 and have had no problems with it at all. Except for eating of rubber fuel line/piping, you need to replace your piping with a syntheltic or it will eat it to &^$$&.

We are just a small club, but we do have a new Duramax 4x4 that does 10's in the quarter mile and also gets 31 MPG on the highway. It has a lap top tuners kit and runs a special program anyone can down load.

Also we have grease cars, which are cool too.

My turbo Mercedes Benz 300 SD does get a little less mileage, but the inside of the engine is spit polish clean of carbon I bet.

I am working on a heating system to bring the temperature up before injecting it and seeing if that helps the MPG out.

Did you know you can have a hydrogen injecting system for your big rig I read about that somewhere.

I can get you the URL for you to peruse at your leisure. It is a system that makes hydrogen from a very simple and highly economical source and power.

Also I do know we use propane and Nitrous in our fastest B100 toys, that's interesting. To much nitrous and the motor just shuts down, no problems.

Also I am working on a Sterling motor and or water fired V8 using 210 volts to fire it up burning waters hydrogen gas that is in H2O.

The water powered V8 uses regulat tap water or from a lake. One injects it into the engine via a carburetor. There is a 12 volt battery that converts from an inverter 12 volts DC to 210 AC. You use 8 solenoids to fire the motor. This is all hyporthetical but is may work, so I am looking into it.

I am not a mad scientist at all.... but an inventor and like playing.

Oh... I ran 40% B100 in my 2007 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 to see how it ran. Actually it ran fine, but the cylinders washed down and into the oil which added to the oil and I had to change it. How ever it did run and just made a little knocking noise. Instead I will run 10% B100 and see what it does at the dragstrip and fuel MPG too this Summer.

On the Virgin jet using biodiesel.... Apparently I just read the article for it's worth of excitement off of jet fuel. But... the USAF did run a jet on it and it ran fine. Still a lot of experimenting needs to be done.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
LOL.... So..your here to promote Bio-fuel?

Tell me...what process do you use to manufacture Bio-fuel? (yes..I know..it is proprietary)
What is your source of raw material? (IE; Soybean, corn, rice, fruit, etc.)
What energy components do you use to process the fuel? (IE; Electricity, natural Gas, Propane, Hog fuel..etc.)

If you bothered to read the articale on Virgin's "Bio-fuel" flight..they flew the plane from Heathrow airport to Amsterdam....about 250 miles...with only a "portion" of the flight powered by bio-fuel. They do not say how much of the flight was powered by bio-fuel specificly, nor the quantity of fuel used during flight..nor do they specify what percentages the "carbon fuel to bio-fuel" mix was. They do allude to having tested a 60-40 mix. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I know of a company based over in Conroe TX that makes Bio-fuel. They tried to run their company pickups on "pure bio-fuel". In 100 plus degree heat, the fuel was to thick for the fuel pump to move. They had to cut it to a 75% diesel-25% biofuel mix, before the fuel pump could move it..their fuel mileage on that mix was 3.5 miles to the gallon...in a Chevy Pickup with a Duramax engine. They now use a mix of 80-20 for their pickups and their CMV's. They haul their components used to manufacture bio-fuel from a plant in this area. One component is sodium-methylate the other is naptha..both of which are "petroleum" based ingredients.

I'm all for clean air. I however, do not accept the "con" that goes into "green" fuel alternatives. Oxygenated gasoline is good for the air....bad for ground water. Bio-diesel is good for the pocketbook of those whom produce it..bad for the pocketbook of those whom purchase it.

Why is it people want to impress with their "green" fuel, while ignoring the fact that the production of bio-fuel consumes more "carbon" energy than it replaces, while the actual use of the bio-fuel, reduces the miles per gallon a vehicle gets from that source, there-by causing increased consumption of the base fuel...diesel? Exhaust that smells like french fries was "novel" when it started...but I do not buy it.

By the way...Pilot Truckstops, the largest marketer of Bio-diesel(B-20) on the Gulfcoast...stopped selling it during the winter months, due to the "gel" factor.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the various problems you mention, with your "home-brew" fuel. When you add it all up, it is not worth the expense. :roll:

Yes..I have heard of the various scemes to improve fuel mileage in CMV's. Unfortunately that is all they are..scemes..time consumng scemes at that. :roll: :roll:
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Rookie

http://waterpoweredcar.com/

Quote:

All the various problems you mention, with your "home-brew" fuel. When you add it all up, it is not worth the expense. :roll:

Yes..I have heard of the various scemes to improve fuel mileage in CMV's. Unfortunately that is all they are..scemes..time consumng scemes at that. :roll: :roll:
Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Well I guess we all have fun.....

We meet with all our toys... www.IamCarCrazy.com

I am looking to put a Duramax diesel in my McLaren turbo M6B-GT concept car and run B100. Also I want to do experiments with the diesel turbo MBZ. See what kind of mileage I can get out of a 1981 VW Rabbit turbo diesel running B100 as well.

There are a lot of others out there running there cars with experimental fuel systems and fuels. One being a car running on a mixture of green slime or algae. I am thinking of a way to test on some other oils out there, maybe even a grassoline kind of thing.

The apple had to have fallen from the tree and Issac knew what to do....

In the mean time all of us guys are just enjoying life and meeting some very interesting people. The knowledge base we all share thoughts in, just makes for that wonderful think tank of lfe.

Quote:

Old 03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Rookie
Default canola seed (RME) starts to gel at approximately -10 °C

We use.... canola seed (RME) starts to gel at approximately -10 °C for the winter time...

Quote:
Well I guess we all have fun.....

We meet with all our toys... www.IamCarCrazy.com

I am looking to put a Duramax diesel in my McLaren turbo M6B-GT concept car and run B100. Also I want to do experiments with the diesel turbo MBZ. See what kind of mileage I can get out of a 1981 VW Rabbit turbo diesel running B100 as well.

There are a lot of others out there running there cars with experimental fuel systems and fuels. One being a car running on a mixture of green slime or algae. I am thinking of a way to test on some other oils out there, maybe even a grassoline kind of thing.

The apple had to have fallen from the tree and Issac knew what to do....

In the mean time all of us guys are just enjoying life and meeting some very interesting people. The knowledge base we all share thoughts in, just makes for that wonderful think tank of lfe.

Quote:

Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Board Member

If one really looks to call one's self green or even an conservator of the environment I'd suggest they get away from the media hype and truly research the topic of "green house" and air polution.

Water vapour accounts for more the half (depending on the study) of the cause for the "green house effect" that IS NOT yet proven.... Just because Al Gore and other talking heads say it is so doesn't mean that is it.

Right now has just become popularized to call yourself green. It is a fade,
I myself love the environment and fight against unneccesarily abusing it. But Carbon and other populates are trace gases and water vapour is the largest source of polutants. Check it out for yourself and don't rely on other with an agenda to inform you.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

There are many other sources of this data... Dont take my word for it either Who the heck am I? I am certainly not a paid actor(hypocrite).... with milllions to spend pushing my views on others.