User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GPS

Ok, I know there is a discussion somewhere already but , I would like to know if any of you guys have one and what should I look for. My Dear ole Dad said he was going to get me one for a present. He said pick out a good one and did not put a limit on the price, but I can't get crazy with the price, so I was thinking around three hundred bucks .
Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Ok, I know there is a discussion somewhere already but , I would like to know if any of you guys have one and what should I look for. My Dear ole Dad said he was going to get me one for a present. He said pick out a good one and did not put a limit on the price, but I can't get crazy with the price, so I was thinking around three hundred bucks .

check here for reviews
http://www.retrevo.com/s/GPS?gclid=C...FQQClwodwkJoww
Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Board Regular

Good website fred dog.Stay the heck away from the garbage TomTom XL or any tomtom product.I bought my TomTom One from radioshack in Dec. on sale fro $140 and already, there is no reading on the display.I felt stranded until went to Walmart and bought the Garmin Nuvi 200.It has more POI(point of interest) as in Truck stops,rest areas,hospitals,truck repairs lstings and the list goes on.I don't even know how to use a map, I just route my MS streets and trips on my laptop to get my state line mileage and then I go to my GPS to start rolling.
There is no # on TomToms website to contact them for warranty issues.Stay away from that gadget.
Anyway I have been reading your car hauling eagerness and I have been reading it since day one.It reminds me when I first started driving trucks 2 yrs ago in containers.Good job!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1
Good website fred dog.Stay the heck away from the garbage TomTom XL or any tomtom product.I bought my TomTom One from radioshack in Dec. on sale fro $140 and already, there is no reading on the display.I felt stranded until went to Walmart and bought the Garmin Nuvi 200.It has more POI(point of interest) as in Truck stops,rest areas,hospitals,truck repairs lstings and the list goes on.I don't even know how to use a map, I just route my MS streets and trips on my laptop to get my state line mileage and then I go to my GPS to start rolling.
There is no # on TomToms website to contact them for warranty issues.Stay away from that gadget.
Anyway I have been reading your car hauling eagerness and I have been reading it since day one.It reminds me when I first started driving trucks 2 yrs ago in containers.Good job!
you must have me confused with someone else, I haul tankers, never have or wanted to haul cars..
anyway, I got a Iway 250c with my flying J points and I am quite happy with it.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Ok, I know there is a discussion somewhere already but , I would like to know if any of you guys have one and what should I look for.
I bought a Garmin StreetPilot C330 for around $300 a few months ago. I'm quite happy with it. I wouldn't look at the price when choosing a GPS. I think you should play with many models in the store before buying to make sure you're comfortable using them. Mine has "trucks" option in the menu but it still routes me as a car. So I have to watch for low bridges and restricted bridges. The only 2 things I'd be really particular about when choosing a GPS are:

1) how easy it is to update the maps.

Mine has a memory card slot but updating the maps from 2007 to 2008 was a pain in the neck. Make sure to ask the salesperson if your GPS maps are updatable. You're likely to keep it for longer than a year and map updates come out yearly.

2) if the GPS names STREETS when telling to make a turn.

Mine just says "turn right in 800 ft" and quite a few times I took a wrong turn because the intersections I'm going thru were confusing. Better GPS gadgets say in the above scenario, "Turn right on Roger Street in 800 feet." This is much more useful.

But overall I'm happy with my Garmin and my next GPS will probably be of the same make.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
Mine has "trucks" option in the menu but it still routes me as a car. So I have to watch for low bridges and restricted bridges.
Tracer, is there additional software for the trucks that might not be loaded? I have Streets and Trips on my laptop, but thought about getting a portable unit instead.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Board Regular

I have a nuvi 660 and like it quite well, although you have to stay a step or 2 ahead of it.

I've recently talked with the folks at ALK (PC Miler) and they are about to release a handheld unit specifically for trucks, with truck routes, that will not take you to a 9' bridge. They told me it should retail for around $379 and should be out right away.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit102
I have a nuvi 660 and like it quite well, although you have to stay a step or 2 ahead of it.

I've recently talked with the folks at ALK (PC Miler) and they are about to release a handheld unit specifically for trucks, with truck routes, that will not take you to a 9' bridge. They told me it should retail for around $379 and should be out right away.
I have read about that Copilot 11 they have. A handheld would be better than having the laptop on all the time. Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog
I have read about that Copilot 11 they have. A handheld would be better than having the laptop on all the time. Thanks
Whats wrong with having the laptop on all the time,insted of trying to read a tiny little 3.5" screen I have a nice big 17" screen to read the gps,works like a charm.I run MS street and trips and CoPilot 9.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Board Regular

Here's what he sent me in the e-mail:

On a separate note, we have not released this to the public, but we will be offering a PND (Personal Navigation Device) in May.

It has a 4 ½ inch screen that you can set in your cab. It is truck specific and truck legal directions. It will have spoken turn by turn GPS directions and mapping.

I believe that it will cost $399. I tested one two weeks ago and it was great. I just plugged it in and it worked instantly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

His e-mail address is [email protected]