Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard
Dog,

Check around for SteelMark drive tires, I believe they are ADH or ADS II. I just bought 8 for $2,100.00 at Quick Fix behind the Pilot south of Louisville, KY on I-65.

Dave
Thats a good price..Chinese made right?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Dog you run 22.5 lo profiles right?

Put some "XDA energy" on the drives, "ZXA3" on the steer, and "XTA energy" on the trailer. All michelin. These tires will get you the best fuel mileage. Unless you want to change to super singles.

you can get a good deal through "PDCA"(flying j). The tires are around $360. The PDCA website has pricing.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

he already gets 25 mpg for crying out loud.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't know if I'm allowed to do the tires or not (I worked at a tire shop for 2 years),...I just do it anyway. I hate waiting for road service!!!

I also don't know about the straight pipe thing, but when one of those trucks with dual 6 or 7" straight pipes comes off the interstate with their jake on,.....its damn loud.
I think merrick did get a bad inspection but I'm not sure.
It looks like the DA is going to dismiss the entire ticket, I'll know in a few days.
I get the whole letter of the law thing,...but I still think this guy was over the top. Was I breaking the law? is it against the law to drive a broken vehicle to a repair shop?
If I was towed,..the truck still had a missing muffler, and the lights still didn't work,..what if he pulled the tow truck into the DOT stop and then asked me to turn on my jake,..rev it up and hear the music, and then checked my lights.
Point is,...the DOT officer was being weird,...you could tell by his attitude.
Where was I going to go?,..it was 1 hour before dusk, my lights were out, and my truck was loud as hell.

I'm just not ready for super singles,...I still like being able to limp to a safe area. I will look into the XDA's but I have new steers already, and the trailer has 70% virgin rubber also. Not to mention the front tires are standard 22.5's the drives are lo-pro 22.5's and the trailer has 24.5's thats too many wheels to buy.

25mpg,......thats about right 8)
Old 02-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
I don't know if I'm allowed to do the tires or not (I worked at a tire shop for 2 years),...I just do it anyway. I hate waiting for road service!!!

I also don't know about the straight pipe thing, but when one of those trucks with dual 6 or 7" straight pipes comes off the interstate with their jake on,.....its damn loud.
I think merrick did get a bad inspection but I'm not sure.
It looks like the DA is going to dismiss the entire ticket, I'll know in a few days.
I get the whole letter of the law thing,...but I still think this guy was over the top. Was I breaking the law? is it against the law to drive a broken vehicle to a repair shop?
If I was towed,..the truck still had a missing muffler, and the lights still didn't work,..what if he pulled the tow truck into the DOT stop and then asked me to turn on my jake,..rev it up and hear the music, and then checked my lights.
Point is,...the DOT officer was being weird,...you could tell by his attitude.
Where was I going to go?,..it was 1 hour before dusk, my lights were out, and my truck was loud as hell.

I'm just not ready for super singles,...I still like being able to limp to a safe area. I will look into the XDA's but I have new steers already, and the trailer has 70% virgin rubber also. Not to mention the front tires are standard 22.5's the drives are lo-pro 22.5's and the trailer has 24.5's thats too many wheels to buy.

25mpg,......thats about right 8)
You go Dog. I bet that DOT guy craps when he hears you actually called the DA today!

Straight Pipes are illegal, only because of the various noise ordinances each city/town has. I'm not sure what the federal decibel limit is.....85 I think...but most cities are in the 70 to 74 decibel range, again..I think.

You can legally drive your truck to a repair facility during daylight hours, so long as none of the mechanical problems pose a danger to the public. The lights would have qualified at night.

You have a heck of an assortment of tires...and you really should put 22.5's on the drive if you have 22.5's on the steer. it might help with road noise, vibration..I bet you have a bit of it..and if you are pulling a flat...your bed will ride level. 22.5 tall rubber are the same as 24.5 lowpro's.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

You can legally drive your truck to a repair facility during daylight hours, so long as none of the mechanical problems pose a danger to the public.
Can you quote the FMCSA reg that states this? I bet you can't, because it doesn't exist. I think you're confusing "disabling damage" as a result of an accident, which specifically states what you are referring to (definition located at §390.5)

Quote:
is it against the law to drive a broken vehicle to a repair shop?
Yes, if it is an OOS item.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Board Member

The way I see it, ..if you stop a guy who clearly has a logged tire change that clearly caused to damage to the vehicle, and was headed to the truck stop within sight of the DOT coop,....maybee you should use that thing inside the box on top of your neck,......

I have seen trucks that are practically falling apart, cracked windsheilds, fenders dangling with bald tires, missing mudflaps, broken/blown lights,....we've all seen these trucks,...why not go for one of those,..because the 2hrs he spent playing his DOT power trip game with me was just erased with one phone call to the DA, and the odds tell me that within those 2 hours he spent on me,..somebody slipped through that actually is a danger.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

You can legally drive your truck to a repair facility during daylight hours, so long as none of the mechanical problems pose a danger to the public.
Can you quote the FMCSA reg that states this? I bet you can't, because it doesn't exist. I think you're confusing "disabling damage" as a result of an accident, which specifically states what you are referring to (definition located at §390.5)

Quote:
is it against the law to drive a broken vehicle to a repair shop?
Yes, if it is an OOS item.
Actually Rev...I can not state it..but I can cut & paste it!

396.9 >

§396.7 Unsafe operations forbidden.

(a) General — A motor vehicle shall not be operated in such a condition as to likely cause an accident or a breakdown of the vehicle.

(b) Exemption — Any motor vehicle discovered to be in an unsafe condition while being operated on the highway may be continued in operation only to the nearest place where repairs can safely be effected. Such operation shall be conducted only if it is less hazardous to the public than to permit the vehicle to remain on the highway.
Related Links
Disclaimer

By denoting the tire repair on his logbook, Dog literally made it legal for himself to continue on, to a repair facility, even though his lights were not functioning.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:41 PM

But the judge is probably still going to ask why he did not have it towed in, since he obviously had enough relief on the shoulder to safely change his own tire pretty much argues for the fact that it was safe where it sat. And that he should have just waited and not risked driving on.

Im sorry it happened Doghouse, just be ready for the fine though.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member

The scalehouse constitutes the "nearest place where repairs can be safely effected."