Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1995
Just out of curiousity, how old is too old with regard to a truck? In the $9K-20K range, there is everything from 1989 model Peterbilts to 2000 model Freightliners.

Also, if someone opted to buy an older truck paid for via cash, would he neccessarily fair better than someone with a payment? Like GMAN has said, they all break down. Just like owning a car, I would absolutely be sick (and broke) if I had an outrageous monthly payment AND repair bills.

Just based on seeing numbers from here, it seems like one could do ok leasing a paid for truck onto one of the larger carriers. Am I being nieve?

Just trying to get my mind around the in's and out's of this trucking industry...if that's possible!

Thanks.

Whether you by new or used, ALL trucks break down. I have owned trucks for years and have NEVER owned one that hasn't broken down at some point. I always try to keep the maintenance up, but there will still be things that come up while you are on the road. A radiator can spring a leak, fan clutch can go out, injector, o-rings or sleeves, wheel bearing, and the list goes on and on. You can minimize most breakdowns, but no matter how well you keep up your maintenance, some things will still break on a big truck. An injector can go out at any time. Those are not cheap. I believe the warranty on a new injector is about 150M miles. It doesn't take long to put that many miles on a truck. An injector will cost around $400 or so plus labor to put it on. With everything expect to spend about $800-1,100 for one injector replacement. A few months ago, I had to spend $6,700 to repair a lifter on an engine with just over 100,000 on a rebuild. The rebuild cost $15,000. Had it happened before the warranty expired it might or might not have been covered. I would have been out of business had I not had the funds to repair that truck. Another truck that I own needed repairs which totaled $5,000 a few months ago. I have a truck that currently needs a turbo. The turbo alone will cost about $1,500. Labor and other charges will likely run about $2,500 unless I put it on myself. Turbo's can go out at anytime and can potentially do serious damage to an engine. These two trucks will cost me about $15,000 in repairs over about 4 months. I have not had to spend a lot of money on either truck over the time I have owned them. One has been paid off for several years. It is much easier to make repairs when you have small or no truck payments. Most of the repairs made to these two trucks could have happened to a newer truck. This is why I and others stress having a good maintenance fund in place before you buy a truck. Some get lucky and don't have anything major break for a while. Others have a major expenditure and are out of business.

I have seen new owner operators trying to lease on to carriers and don't even have enough money to buy a couple of tires so that they can pass the carrier's DOT inspection. You don't want to cut it that close.

Some carrier's have age restrictions on owner operator equipment. Most pay low mileage rates. The higher paying percentage carriers will usually take a truck as long as it will pass a DOT inspection and looks half way decent. You can earn a decent living leasing to some carriers. Others you could probably do as well or better driving a company truck. Anthony, you will be much better off finding a good, used, older truck that is in good shape and you can pay cash for than going out and buying something with a big truck payment. Put the equivalent of a big truck payment in the bank and in a year or two you will have enough saved to buy a newer truck and pay cash. The key is to find a truck that is in good shape. If you buy a truck that is falling apart you can spend a lot of money to get it in shape. I have been looking at trucks lately. Some are in good condition, others are not. Some dealers are still asking way too much for the trucks on their lot.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM

So what about engines? Detroit, Cat? Is one typically of better quality than the other? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 PM

GMAN, gonna PM you.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1995
So what about engines? Detroit, Cat? Is one typically of better quality than the other? Thanks.
Detroit gets lower resale, but one hell of a jake

Cummins gets good mpg, and fewer moving internal parts :wink:

Cats make the world move, but you sacrifice a bit of mpg but you get a lot of torque 8)

I´m sure someone can further go into detail about each engine. I´ve never heard much good about detroit. Again, thats just me though
Old 02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Just based on seeing numbers from here, it seems like one could do ok leasing a paid for truck onto one of the larger carriers. Am I being nieve?
Everyone thinks a paid for truck is the answer. What, no truck payment so you can run cheaper and keep feeding the low rate companies and cut rate brokers?

No matter what kind of truck you run it should make enough to replace its self or pay for a decent truck. Otherwise you just fooling yourself.

There are good used trucks available, you just have to look hard. Many O/Os will sink a lot of money in a truck and then sell it, I have seen it over and over.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Just because you have a truck that is paid for doesn't mean that you haul cheap freight. Mine is paid for and I don't haul cheap freight. :P
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Rookie

Gman, I totally understand what you are saying about all trucks break down. I don't know if this is going to make sense to you but... I'm a believer in Jesus, and I have been blessed. God has been opening up "windows" for me left and right. My credit is in repair(not the greatest) from a family messing it up for me 2 years ago(beyond my control) and the finance company said they will give me a loan. So with that being said, I'll be able to pull through whatever life throws at me. I'm not saying it'll be easy but I have a higher power on my side to help me pull trough! That is why a $1500 payment and stuff breaking down does not really bother me. I'm trying to make the best of this opportunity. If that means buying a new(er) truck , I'm fine with that. The same goes for a older truck. If I budget my money correctly and give my 10% to God, he'll supply all of my needs!

I have a work lined up as soon as I get a truck! It's not freight..lets say its some of NY/NJ's finest :lol: The pay is good compared to some of the rates I've seen floating around. About the HP issue, we have big hills in PA. I don't like coming almost to a complete stop when pulling a grade fully loaded from an underpowered truck![/code]
Old 02-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Just because you have a truck that is paid for doesn't mean that you haul cheap freight. Mine is paid for and I don't haul cheap freight.
Thats right, but some people think the only way they can adjust the numbers to fit is have a paid for truck, and that is not the answer.

I ran the last several years with a paid for truck and trailer and paid more a month to the IRS than most peoples truck payment.

Freight rates are not depressed, most customers are still paying the same, the brokers are taking advantage of the market and keeping more for themselves.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I have a work lined up as soon as I get a truck! It's not freight..lets say its some of NY/NJ's finest The pay is good compared to some of the rates I've seen floating around.
I believe that you should be able to make it at the "going" rates. Perhaps a business man should set himself up to be able to make it even if his golden egg goes down. Would you have a contract and be able to collect damages if the rates from this source were no longer available to you? I assume not. This step you're considering would most likely entail some ordinary business risks that should be considered. Regarding this Godspeak, are you and Him alright with not being able to fulfill your financial obligations because you planned on months or years of miraculous rates, but they dried up?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Rookie

I'm not disagreeing about the ordinary business risks. I've been planning and consulting with a few people about this move for a very long time. I don't worry about if the contract is going to fall through or not. If it does, so be it. I'll find something else. I didn't mean to come off sounding like the rates are miraculous. I just have faith in Jesus that this is the right move at the right time because of the present stuff happening in my life... thats all... If it doesn't workout, then he has something better for to do, then I 'lllook back and say "oh okay., now I see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by person
Quote:
I have a work lined up as soon as I get a truck! It's not freight..lets say its some of NY/NJ's finest The pay is good compared to some of the rates I've seen floating around.
I believe that you should be able to make it at the "going" rates. Perhaps a business man should set himself up to be able to make it even if his golden egg goes down. Would you have a contract and be able to collect damages if the rates from this source were no longer available to you? I assume not. This step you're considering would most likely entail some ordinary business risks that should be considered. Regarding this Godspeak, are you and Him alright with not being able to fulfill your financial obligations because you planned on months or years of miraculous rates, but they dried up?