User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Math Quiz

WARNING! 9th grade mathmatician doing calculations here.

Ok, so I was told that leasing on with a major carrier would make the 100% of my 100% less than the 75% or their 100%, but after getting stuck in Dallas, waiting on that 75% or 100%, maybe I should have stayed with the 100% of my 100%, which is actually more. Less idling, mo money, cash flow, etc. etc.

Or too sum up the equation, 75% of 100% of nothing is still nothing. 100% of 75% is actually more by the time you calculate up the costs of idling (its cold out here), waiting and lost days. Am I right.

I leased on to pull flats and I knew I should have stayed the course and got a car hauler, if for no other reason than weekend freight.

To hear these agents talk, you'd think Dallas was near to Missoula, Montana.............

Happy New Year, Ugh

jonboy
Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I musta missed the posts where you changed direction Jonboy...I thought you were going to extend your authority from intra to inter state and extend your business model to regional. I do remember rumblings of you buying a car trailer...

It now looks like you've leased on to someone...si? Who'd you go with?

Sounds like you're regretting your decision. I do hope it works out for ya!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Board Regular

Geomon, I got my interstate authority a while back, but was still making more money in Texas, than going longer distances. With a van, the longer the trip, the less the rate was, so I elected to do multi stops, and short trips to keep my average up. Van rates really fell after Thanksgiving, so I leased on January 1 to get the fuel surcharge and try to get into some better paying freight. I sold my van just so I would never be tempted to pull it again.

I can see the handrwriting on the wall, I'm not going to like the dispatch limitations, but if they can keep me loaded, cool. I don't mind calling agents, but then you have to pass it all back through a dispatcher, which is a pain and possible delay. I can also go on the boards to find freight, but you know if you find something good on the boards, you can't mess around, you've got to jump on it, and I've been told the dispatchers don't want to mess with outside freight, and some brokers don't like the delays involve in waiting on approval from my carrier, so we'll see.

I can trip lease to another carrier for .20 per mile, which is actually better than the 25% they normally take, and I suppose, to my own authority, if I keep my insurance in place, but I was planning on putting my authority in an inactive state. I did keep my plates and IFTA in place.

It's going to take me a little time to figure out how to work within this system. If I cannot beat what I was doing in the vans, I will go to carhauling by the summer.

My main reason for leasing on right now is the fuel surcharge, because I'm concerned a mideast conflict between Israel and Iran could cause the fuel to go out of sight, and at least the surcharge would go up, hopefully.

It is a pain in the butt learning everything the hard way........

jonboy
Old 01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Who did you lease onto?