User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cheap low profile tires?

Could someone recommend any good low profile tires - 295/75/R22.5? I've been looking at Bridgestone but our shop guy says, Cnd$530 each. And that's the price with the network discount ... I'm pretty sure U.S. dealers have more reasonable pricing ...

I need tires that have around 40.6" overall diameter. This will give me the perfect RPM at slow speeds (I prefer driving at 57-58 mph). My current regular 22.5s have the diameter of 42" and at 59 mph I do 1,300 rpm with CatC15.

295s were the original tires my truck had from the factory. There's a sign on the door to this effect.

Thanks!

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 12-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Yokohoma makes a good tire. They are usually easy to find on the road and prices are quite a bit less than Bridgestones.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Senior Board Member

I see ads for $189 for tires out here. It looks like they are from China, Korea and Japan
Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are several foreign brands that seem to do well. Double Coin and Ching Ching come to mind. I have tried both and have been pleased as to the wear. I paid $189 for the Ching Ching tires for my step deck. They are 255/22.5's. Another brand you may check are Cooper. I don't recall trying them on my tractor, but have on my step deck. So far they are wearing well. There are also some good Korean tires on the market. I think Kuhn are made in Korea.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I see ads for cheap chinese tires in our "Truck and Trailer" magazine (Canada). The prices are very low. I called them up but the guy said tires were from China I wasn't sure I wanted them. G-Man if you say you tried them and they wear well, I might look into them again. Just don't want to spend close to a million dollars on 10 tires with a brand name

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I used to not consider any tire not made in the U.S. Goodyear and Kelley changed my mind. I had a problem with 3 Goodyear tires on one of my car haulers some years ago. Goodyear would not stand behind them. A few years ago I had Kelly's on my tractor. Nine out of 10 cracked in the side wall. They never stood behind them. According to them all 9 were due to curbing the tires??? They could never explain how an inside tire on my drives could be curbed. Since then I have been experimenting with various brands. I have had good wear out of Dunlop. Often times these Chinese and other foreign brand tires are made by companies who are partnering with some of the major brands. So far I have had good wear out of all of them. I prefer buying American, but when I can get as good or better wear out of a foreign brand and spend several hundred dollars less I will go with the foreign brand. I had a problem with steers on a Double Coin. The distributor exchanged them with no questions asked. That is the only time I can recall having a tire company replace a tire without a hassle. I also had a problem with Generals on my step deck. They came on my step deck from the factory. Every one of them had a strange wear pattern. The tire manufacturer said it was a trailer problem. The trailer was new. I still spent $100 having it checked by a dealer. There was nothing wrong. I put Ching Ching tires on it and haven't seen the same wear pattern. In checking with the dealer where I purchased it, Transcraft has switched tires. They still put Generals on them but a different model. That tells me that there was a problem with the tire. I paid $189 for the Ching Ching tires. Generals were much more expensive. I blew 2 of those Generals at the same time and had to purchase 2 Bridgestones. I paid about twice or more for those tires on my national account. I like Bridgestone tires, but see no need to pay double for them. I think that I still have Bridgestones on my KW. When the time comes to replace them, I will be going with a different brand. It isn't a matter of quality with Bridgestone. It is only a matter of economics. By going with another brand I will save at least $100+ per tire.

For the price savings I would try the Chinese or Korean tires and see how you like them. You can buy them for little more than the price of a retread.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

The more we buy imported stuff the less our dollar will be worth. We all need to start buying "MADE IN THE USA" again.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Board Regular

I would try BF Goodrich DR444's a lot of guys I know run them and like them as a cheaper alternative to Michelin's but not as cheap as the off brand ones. I would really consider staying with the higher profile tires. I don't live that far from Cambridge and my tire dealer will hardly give you anything for a low-profile casing because there isn't that high of a demand from the retread shops. MacKinnon should be able to get a better price than that for you on Nat'l account especially if you run the same size as them. At my shop a 11R22.5 DR444 goes for $400 and the casing is worth around $50
Old 12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
We all need to start buying "MADE IN THE USA" again.
I actually never quit, it's just getting harder and harder to find those labels anymore... :sad:
Old 12-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

thanks to everyone for the tips. I just saw Flying J advertise tires "from $230". .. might try buying from them. The idea of experimenting with brands appeals to me.

Watch my YouTube videos