View Poll Results: What is your per mile cost to move your truck?
Less than $0.70 cpm 4 18.18%
$0.70-0.80cpm 1 4.55%
$0.80-0.90 cpm 4 18.18%
$0.90-$1.00 5 22.73%
More than $1.00 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I should have clarified in my first post. The thread was directed towards owner-op's with their own authority, though all posts are welcome (just be sure you specify which one your are: authority or leased :wink: )
Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd202
Perhaps I should have clarified in my first post. The thread was directed towards owner-op's with their own authority, though all posts are welcome (just be sure you specify which one your are: authority or leased :wink: )
My mistake Red...up here (Canada) we are all owner/op's. We don't have alot of what we would term as independents. I don't really know the reason, maybe the extremely high costs? Not sure

Even where I am leased on, we have a few independents, but they are known as "trip leasors". Thay have their own authority, but pull our company trailers. The only difference I can see is they lack the job stability I have, & they can't get the same discounts for fuel, insurance & big ticket items like tires, that I can buy through the comapny I work for. I must confess I fail to see the difference between the 2 otherwise, but then I am also aware that things are quite different for you guys down there!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Thanks for clarifying that for us. I run my own authority. When I look at operating expenses I also consider the cost of owning a trailer, although some who lease to a carrier will also own a trailer. The numbers I noted previously did not include the cost of operating a trailer. The major cost associated with owning a trailer, other than the payments, are the tires. The type of trailer you own could impact your operating costs. A spread axle will usually need tires more frequently than a closed tandem. A reefer will require more maintenance than a van or flat.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

GMAN, I am so happy when I see you posting in different threads, your advise & wisdom about such things is absolutely amazing!

The wealth of knowledge you pass along to those of us is incredible.

I know whenever you are about I will definitely LEARN something today!

Keep up the good work!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is a really nice of you to say, wildkat.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

At the risk of hijacking the thread GMAN, as you likely know I've spent all of my adult life in this industry, have trucked all over the US & Canada, & now after 29 years on the road, 4 years ago, I have made the full circle & gone back to my beginnings in the Canadian Arctic. I love what I do & hope to help others when I can, and the day I figure I know it all is when I have become what I never wanted to ever be known as *Super Trucker*, that's the day I hang up my skates cause IMHO that is the day I become a menace!

Always have subscribed to "If I didn't learn something today, I wasted the day" philosophy on life!

I look forward to your comments, calming voice when others get offended (you never seem to & I try not to, but some days.... :lol: :lol: ), & the wisdom you have no doubt come by the hard way! As I said earlier, please, keep the wisdom coming...we could all use some of it!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote]That's why I take truck payments at face value. Also, when the truck is paid off, now it has a ZERO operating expense. Yes it's still depreciating, but that's only meaningful for your net worth. The longer you keep it, the less meaningful depreciation is.[quote]

I knew this would come up but I've been skiing all day :lol: What you're talking about is cash-flow, not income. I inevitably get into long drawn-out discussions regarding accounting, so I won't this time :lol: But don't be so quick to poo-poo net worth (or your balance sheet). This is a much more accurate gauge of the success of a business (or individual for that matter) than cash flow, especially over a time horizon of any meaningful length.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member

But see the problem is no_worries, is that your "asset" is constantly depreciating. I'd rather just consider it worth NOTHING for a few reasons:

1) If you traded it in, the new truck would depreciate faster

2) If you just sell it, then you have no way of making income

I understand fully the difference between cash flow and net worth, however like I said before if your cash flow is shit because your driving a big fancy truck, but you have some net worth, is that ok? No it's not, your going out of business within a matter of months.

I'd rather have my business with a near zero net worth, because then I know I cannot lose any money with depreciation, it's already gone. That is the point where you start making good money. No more payments.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Like I said, it's "proper accounting" versus personal preference, which is why I won't argue much :lol: In the end, whatever you feel gives you the best idea of your progress is what's important.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Like I said, it's "proper accounting" versus personal preference, which is why I won't argue much :lol: In the end, whatever you feel gives you the best idea of your progress is what's important.
I've never seen "proper accounting" include personal meals on a business trip of any type.

Business meals are different.