User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Transporting a new truck

What do I need in order to drive a truck home that I plan to buy out of state? I am not leased to anyone nor do I have my authority. I am buying an older truck and I want to riv it here and do some work to it before butting it on the road.
I believe I can get a 30 day temp insurance policy. What do I need as far as a plate or permets etc? Can I just run it as a private not for hire vehicle without permits or what.
I appreciate any help, it's been over 10 years since we wned any trucks and to be honest we only ever bought them locally at peterbilt of WI.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Board Regular

I recently drove one home from OH to TN. I was given a temp tag by the dealer I bought from. I found a company that went ahead and sold me the regular bobtail insurance even though I wasn't yet leased on, like you. Several insurance companies told me they wouldn't do that, I had to ask around before finding one that would. Actual coverage is through Progressive. I drove home with bill-of-sale, temp tag, and proof of insurance.

There is a company I believe called Gulfway that some people have obtained insurance through for trucks that were not in service, show trucks for example. They have a website I think. I never called them but would consider it if necessary. My insurance agent has asked me for a copy of my lease a couple of times, and I explain that I'm not yet leased on. Just paying the premiums every month, so far they haven't dropped me although they seem to think it's strange that I'm not yet leased on. I'm like you, doing a few things to the truck before running it.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Your going to be able to road the truck home, but you will need to get trip permits for doing it. Some states make you pay for the permits,some let you travel on the temp the sales lot will give you.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I am in the same situation right now except I will be driving the truck and trailer from Kansas City, MO to my company in Missoula, MT to lease it on. The dealership assures me that the temp tag they will issue will be all I need to drive the truck there. My company also said they can issue me a "hunters permit" that is good for 5 days. Both will allow me to get from point "A" to point "B" empty. I also bought a 30 day insurance policy for the trip.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 AM

how much will a 30 day policy run?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You need to call your insurance company to get a price for bobtail insurance. The dealer will give you a temporary plate and some states require the dealer to verify that you do have insurance first.

You need to put a sign on each door that says "NOT FOR HIRE". Just a piece of paper taped will do.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Rookie

What if you have authority and insurance but want to buy a truck out of your state. In Georgia, if you buy it locally you can just take it to your yard and then go get the IRP tag at your leisure. I assume the temp tag and a bill of sale would be good enough. Why would you need to buy permits. If you bobtail home and the truck is not signed, you are not "in commerce" yet. I am sure you would stop at all the scales just because it's easier to go in then drive past and get pulled over. As long as you have the temp tag, bill of sale paperwork, and insurance binder I would think that would suffice. What do the guys doing the drive away or tractor stacks have? I've seen most with a transporter tag and a piece of paper in the window. Of course those guys are "in commerce" as they are getting paid and are not the owners of said trucks. Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan
how much will a 30 day policy run?
the policy I got was for the truck and trailer. It was a little steep at $325.00 but I had to get them insured. If you're just buying a tractor, it will be cheaper.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Board Regular

I just bought a truck in Indiana and drove it home ( about 270 miles or so ) and All I had was the paperwork from the owner ( who was also a dealer) . I called my Ins company , Farm bureau and got what she referred to a farm like policy . The ins was written for three months and was 200.00 . I will cancel it as soon as I get regular ins from a company that provides CMV ins , Farm Bureau don't write Commercial vehicle ins but will write for farmers and soforth I guess.