Old 12-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
The more we buy imported stuff the less our dollar will be worth. We all need to start buying "MADE IN THE USA" again.

tootie

I agree, at least in principal. The problem is that it is getting more difficult to find quality products made in the USA. I think we are capable of making the best products in the world. The problem comes in when they cut too many corners to raise profits. There are so many manufacturers who have lowered their standards and shipped manufacturing facilities abroad. When a US manufacturer refuses to stand behind their products, then we begin to look else where. I pay 1/2 the price of Goodyear when I buy Double Coin. I had a problem with a new set of steers and they exchanged them with no questions asked. If I had the same treatment from Goodyear, then I would probably still be buying Goodyear tires. It has been many years since I have bought a Goodyear tire. Their decision to not stand behind their product has cost them thousands of dollars, just in my business. With the cheaper tires, I can essentially buy about 2 of them for the same price as Goodyear. If the cheaper brand doesn't stand behind their product, then at least I haven't lost that much money. Companies such as Goodyear are shooting themselves in the foot by not standing behind their products. What I find interesting in buying some so called American products is that they are often made abroad, or at least components are made in another part of the world. These companies need to start being loyal to those who are loyal to them. If they expect us to buy their products then they need to start producing quality products that are truly made in the USA.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Yokohoma makes a good tire. They are usually easy to find on the road and prices are quite a bit less than Bridgestones.
GMAN, thanks again for the tip about cheaper tires. I talked to our shop tire guy and he was able to give me a very good price on Yokohama tires. I'm switching to low profile and will use Yoko on the drives and Michelin on the steers. The best part? Our accounting agreed to give me an installment plan, where they will just deduct $650 from each biweekly paycheck, so I don't have to come up with any cash upfront. Beautiful!

So, if you guys ever see a yellow International 9400 crawling along at 57-58 mph - you know who it is

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Next time try some XDA energy tires, 40.5" overall diameter, 513 revs per mile.

They're a little pricey, I think you can get them for $340 on a national account. The thing is you'll save more then that with lower rolling resistance.

These are the most efficient drive tires, other than super singles. They're actually more efficient then running steers on the drives, according to michelin "fuel savings calculator"
Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Next time try some XDA energy tires, 40.5" overall diameter, 513 revs per mile.
The tire guy put Michelin XZA-3 on the steers ... they're pretty good on fuel too; I have Yokohama TY517 295/75/R22.5 on the drives. The funny thing though is I only lost less than a mile per hour in speed. I did 59 mph at 1300 with 11R22.5 tires; now it's 58 at the same rpm with lp tires.

Watch my YouTube videos