User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default 1st ROAD TRIP IN Allmost 4 Years !!!!

Hey Ya'll

I don't mean to sound ignorant or want to get bashed in any way but I need to know a safe way to get to Atlanta from the Terre Haute Indiana area ( without crossing any scales !!! ) I'm going to be takeing the Pete to Atlanta for a out of frame and really don't want to haft to worry about any curious DOT or scale people ???? I can get to Tenn without much trouble but if I go on down to Huntsville Ala on the 2 lanes are there any scales on 431 or 231 going into Ala from Tenn and what would be a good way to get out through the woods to Atlanta from there ??? Like maybe 411 or so ??? Are there any Georgia scales out there on the 2 lane roads comeing in from Ala ??? Sorry to sound like a crook but I just don't want any problems ??? I'm open to suggestions ????
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You could go south to Huntsville, then SE on 431 to Gadsden, Al, then east on 278 or 411 to Atlanta. 231 through TN is good running down to Huntsville.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Going through Alabama will add a lot of extra miles to your trip. Unless you just want to take a 2 lane road much of the way you can take I-24 and I-75 and bypass both scales on that road. There is one around the 116 mm on I-24 and you can hop off just before that scale, drive a couple of miles or so and jump back on the freeway. When you hit Georgia you can get off at the 245 exit and head south. You will run back into I-75 a few miles down the road. Those are the only two active scales on your trip once you hit I-24. You could take 231 to I-24.

If you want a nice scenic route, you could take 231 to I-40 East to highway 70S to McMinnville. Hwy 8 to 111 to 127 to I-75. I think the shortest way is I-24 and I-75.

Going the way Red Clay Rambler suggested is a nice drive. I always enjoy going that route. If you have the extra time and don't mind the miles, that is a good way to go. Roads are good as is the scenery. To tell you the truth, if I have the extra time I like to get off the interstates and take the old roads. There is much more to see.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Going through Alabama will add a lot of extra miles to your trip. Unless you just want to take a 2 lane road much of the way you can take I-24 and I-75 and bypass both scales on that road. There is one around the 116 mm on I-24 and you can hop off just before that scale, drive a couple of miles or so and jump back on the freeway. When you hit Georgia you can get off at the 245 exit and head south. You will run back into I-75 a few miles down the road. Those are the only two active scales on your trip once you hit I-24. You could take 231 to I-24.

If you want a nice scenic route, you could take 231 to I-40 East to highway 70S to McMinnville. Hwy 8 to 111 to 127 to I-75. I think the shortest way is I-24 and I-75.

Going the way Red Clay Rambler suggested is a nice drive. I always enjoy going that route. If you have the extra time and don't mind the miles, that is a good way to go. Roads are good as is the scenery. To tell you the truth, if I have the extra time I like to get off the interstates and take the old roads. There is much more to see.
Thank you GMAN n Red Clay I knew about the way around that Manchester scale but was afraid they would be out there waiting on me ??? That 245 ex in Ga I did'nt know about ??? Is that a right turn off of 75 going south at the end of the ramp or a left to go south at that exit ??

I'LL probably just play it safe n go down through Huntsville this time. If Manchester was out of the ground or something I'd run 24 n 75 ??? I was going to run 80 in Kent from 65 to 75 n then go down 25 to get around that Kent scale but it seems like a long way out of route. I use 29 n 411 going South out'a Knoxville when I do that n it puts me out on 75 there at Cartersville Ga.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When you get off exit 245 you take a right at the end of the ramp. That will put you on hwy 41 South. There are a couple of truck stops at that exit. Just stay on 41 and you will run into I-75 after a few miles. Hwy 41 intertwines with I-75 a number of times in Georgia.

As far as Tennessee is concerned you can get off right before the scale and follow hwy 41 for a few miles and then hop back on I-75. There is a fuel stop at that exit. I believe it is about the 114 or 115. Take a left at the top of the ramp. That will be hwy 41 South. You could also follow 41 until you get to Monteagle and then get back on I-75 again. I have never had the DOT waiting for me to get off and go around those scales. You could actually follow hwy 41 all the way from Nashville to Atlanta, but will have several towns to go through.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:08 PM

Thank You GMAN .. I'LL check it out on the map !! I googled WEIGH STATIONS in Kent N Tenn N Ga but it did'nt show all of them . I have a 20004 atlas in the truck but I'LL pick up a new one in route to Atlanta..
Old 12-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Rand McNally should show all of the weigh stations.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
Hey Ya'll

I don't mean to sound ignorant or want to get bashed in any way but I need to know a safe way to get to Atlanta from the Terre Haute Indiana area ( without crossing any scales !!! ) I'm going to be takeing the Pete to Atlanta for a out of frame and really don't want to haft to worry about any curious DOT or scale people ???? I can get to Tenn without much trouble but if I go on down to Huntsville Ala on the 2 lanes are there any scales on 431 or 231 going into Ala from Tenn and what would be a good way to get out through the woods to Atlanta from there ??? Like maybe 411 or so ??? Are there any Georgia scales out there on the 2 lane roads comeing in from Ala ??? Sorry to sound like a crook but I just don't want any problems ??? I'm open to suggestions ????
Hey dude,

If you're a drug runner 'count me in.' (LOL)

If it's because you're putting the public at risk with an un-roadworthy rig... :cry:

God Bless all!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

larry has a "good" suggestion on the other forum... LOL
Old 12-15-2007, 05:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilon
If it's because you're putting the public at risk with an un-roadworthy rig... :cry:
since when does needing an out of frame overhaul constitute an unsafe truck