LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilon
Quote:
Hey Ya'll

I don't mean to sound ignorant or want to get bashed in any way but I need to know a safe way to get to Atlanta from the Terre Haute Indiana area ( without crossing any scales !!! ) I'm going to be takeing the Pete to Atlanta for a out of frame and really don't want to haft to worry about any curious DOT or scale people ???? I can get to Tenn without much trouble but if I go on down to Huntsville Ala on the 2 lanes are there any scales on 431 or 231 going into Ala from Tenn and what would be a good way to get out through the woods to Atlanta from there ??? Like maybe 411 or so ??? Are there any Georgia scales out there on the 2 lane roads comeing in from Ala ??? Sorry to sound like a crook but I just don't want any problems ??? I'm open to suggestions ????
Hey dude,

If you're a drug runner 'count me in.' (LOL)

If it's because you're putting the public at risk with an un-roadworthy rig... :cry:

God Bless all!
Mandilon

It's not a question of the truck being unsafe or not road worthy. I've put a ton of money into it since I've been over here. I sent Double LL a set of pictures of it. I've done so much custom stuff to it even includeing replaceing the frame rails n makeing it 8ft longer and all new rears n crossmembers n running gear n all as well .. Theres nothing wrong with the motor except the age. I just want to have fresh motor to start out with next year is all. This place in Atlanta is about the only place I found that would build n set the motor my way with CAT parts n still give me a warrantee to boot.. It's just that after being over here and haveing only 12 days in the states to get so much done I just would rather not take a chance with the scale people (especially in Manchester Tenn !!!! ) .. I'd just like to keep a low profile going down there this time. I have insurance n all the other stuff and I'm going to be keeping a log book (if I can remember how ???) n doing everything I can to be as legal as I can be but the state of ILL won't issue me a hunting permit because I don't have my old App plate anymore. I would buy all the permits n stuff but they are being a real ass about it so far.. I had to give up the drugs years ago so it ain't that either :shock: :lol:
Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I recently drove a new (used) tractor home to TN from OH. I also took a "low profile route" even though all my stuff was in order, insurance, logs, temp tag, etc. Just makes sense to me.

Have a nice ride and keep us posted. 8)
Old 12-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When do you expect to head through?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
I recently drove a new (used) tractor home to TN from OH. I also took a "low profile route" even though all my stuff was in order, insurance, logs, temp tag, etc. Just makes sense to me.

Have a nice ride and keep us posted. 8)
I understand that low profile routine my friend !!!! It would be a no win situation for me in the wrong place at the wrong time

GMAN

I will be comeing out of Indiana on 41 or maybe through Owensboro going down to 65 on the turnpike late in the night of the 26th..
Old 12-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

At that hour, Georgia will likely be closed. Tennessee is a toss up. The Tennessee scale is usually open whether someone is home or not. A lot of scales are closed on Christmas. :?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 AM

I am an inexperienced driver and I need to get from the Atlanta area to the Nashville area.
I know that Monteagle on 24 can be a tough drive. Can anyone tell me about the terrain on
State Route 111? Would it be a good alternative to take SR111 up to I40?
My load is about 26,000 lbs but the tractor is a little day-cab rental from Penske. Small, not
good power for pulling the load uphill.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

111 is a good road but has a couple of hard pulls. With 26,000 pounds it should not be a problem. You will go quite a few miles out of your way. You would be better off going I-24 over Monteagle and make the trip faster. Monteagle is the only hard pull you will have on I-24. It is a beautiful drive but if Monteagle is the only reason you choose to take that route then I would take Monteagle. If you want to avoid mountains altogether then you could exit I-24 at around exit 150 and take US 72 to I-65 north. Other than a few hills on I-65 it isn't a bad drive. However, it will take longer to go that route than Monteagle. Westbound on Monteagle isn't too bad. Just keep your speed down and you should do fine. It is a hard pull going up but with 26,000 pounds you should ease up the mountain without much of a problem. I have taken it with much more weight. I could not begin to count the number of times that I have crossed that piece of real estate.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 PM

even in a little Freightliner? It's a little daycab, but it has performed well on the few little hills I have
found. I am just being paranoid.
in May 2008 I took one of our 26,000 loads over The Continental Divide on the old Loveland Pass
route 6 --a detour due to road construction weight limits. that was with an old F-650 pickup pulling
the load. I guess if I could do that I can drive any road the tractor can handle.
thank you for the advice and support, GMAN, I appreciate it.