User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabhappygal
ATTN YOU O/O's

Creek's post really bears looking at, and I'm glad that there are some companies anyway that will look at a recent graduate to team with one of the experts.

Now me, for example - I would like to be treated like a lady and a real pal, with no strings attached. I want a new career for myself, that's all, and I have no baggage except what I stow on the shelf.

Best of all, from your perspective, this CDL lady with zip experience will team-drive WITHOUT PAY, and that little detail just has to be between you and me and the steering wheel. I am looking for a MATURE and SOLVENT, legitimate O/O, and he can just look after covering insurance, my two meals a day plus coffee breaks, and no less than twice weekly showers. He or she must have a good attitude, and no demands for 'special privileges' -- in that regard, I have a note from the doctor. Now that does NOT affect my license to drive, only my license to mess up. Glad that part of life is all over with.

I truly mean it. I'll drive WITHOUT PAY, or YOU CAN POCKET WHATEVER. I just need a good solid year of driving on my record. And I have no 'home time' requirements. CDL out of Missouri.

Do you folks realize what an INSANE ASYLUM rookie drivers are going through now with the big companies?

Creek and I are trying to find a better way.

As for me, I'm friendly, upbeat, and a smiley person. I also like dogs and cats, but yours, not mine for now.

WHY would you want to do that?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think it would be much better if owner operators could take someone with no experience and train them. In fact, I believe we would probably have a much higher quality of drivers. It seems to me as though so many of these large training carriers are nothing but a work mill. They are only after the new drivers to get them through their training as quickly as possible. The government has perpetuated the problem with their subsidies to those carriers who have these programs. There is an incentive to bring more people into the program rather than seeing to it that those who are in it are well trained.

There is much a new driver can learn from an owner operator who has been successful in this business for a number of years. The problem we have is finding insurers willing to cover new drivers or trainee's. There is considerably higher risk to insurance company when they cover an inexperienced driver. On the other hand, I think the trainee would be less likely to become involved in an accident if they were at the hand of an experienced owner operator. It is in the best interest of the owner operator to see to it that the trainee has the best that they can offer. He will be more likely to follow through on training than another inexperienced company driver. It seems that many of these carriers will assign a trainee to a driver who has little more experience that he does. He has little to offer in experience to the novice.

While I think the idea is noble until we can convince the insurance companies I am afraid that it is an uphill battle.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Board Regular

I trained 1 driver from soup to nuts
he has been driving for many years now.
I told him he was obligated to train 1 driver also.
Thats the end of my story
Old 12-16-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabhappygal
ATTN YOU O/O's

Creek's post really bears looking at, and I'm glad that there are some companies anyway that will look at a recent graduate to team with one of the experts.

Now me, for example - I would like to be treated like a lady and a real pal, with no strings attached. I want a new career for myself, that's all, and I have no baggage except what I stow on the shelf.

Best of all, from your perspective, this CDL lady with zip experience will team-drive WITHOUT PAY, and that little detail just has to be between you and me and the steering wheel. I am looking for a MATURE and SOLVENT, legitimate O/O, and he can just look after covering insurance, my two meals a day plus coffee breaks, and no less than twice weekly showers. He or she must have a good attitude, and no demands for 'special privileges' -- in that regard, I have a note from the doctor. Now that does NOT affect my license to drive, only my license to mess up. Glad that part of life is all over with.

I truly mean it. I'll drive WITHOUT PAY, or YOU CAN POCKET WHATEVER. I just need a good solid year of driving on my record. And I have no 'home time' requirements. CDL out of Missouri.

Do you folks realize what an INSANE ASYLUM rookie drivers are going through now with the big companies?

Creek and I are trying to find a better way.

As for me, I'm friendly, upbeat, and a smiley person. I also like dogs and cats, but yours, not mine for now.

Ok,let's make deal. I have own truck and will train you if your feet don't stink when you take off shoes,Ok,Deal?