User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
you need to stay reasaonably close to your home 20 with an old truck
Florida has a monopoly on truck repair shops?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Board Regular

I understand that you need chains to be open to take any load that you may want. And no doubt you want to drive through places in Utah that you've talked about and not have to eliminate the west in general, -not have to eliminate going straight on through on 80 for instance.

whitemountainchain.com sales Trygg chains. They are stronger and weigh 2/3 of a average chain. Scantrac is what they will probably recommend for a road truck.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks everyone,..this is turning out to be quite a trip. I would be ready to head out during the first Winter storm of the year :roll: ,..o'well,..I forgot to install the weather changer.
I agree about the old truck,..I grew up in the cold and remember what happened to all of our farm machinery when the mercury dropped below 30,....but I also don't want to eliminate a good run because I have to drive through a "chain required" state. Am I going to run with chains?? probably only to get to a safe location,..other than that,..its shut down and wait for the roads to clear. I have enough supplies to last 2 weeks,..I could park anywhere and wait,...thats why I built this truck the way I did.
My goal on this trip is to get back to the SE after I pick up my trailer,..and then try to run I-10 for the winter ( I have to get over to Glendale for my genny engine swap), but I sure don't want to burn a bridge with a good paying cutomer by telling them I can't run,..because its too cold.

Also,..anyone considering a Wilson amp,...I highly recommend one, this thing takes one signal bar and amps it up to 4 sometimes 5,..great signal for when your far away from a tower.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
There are 48 states you can run why would you go to states that need chains?

WHAT'S WITH ALL THESE NEW O/O AND THEIR OBSESSION WITH RUNNING CHAINS AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!
A truck driver was seriously injured Sunday morning, Dec. 2, when he got out to chain up and was hit by a motorist driving a Jeep Wrangler on I-70 near Bakerville, CO.

According to reports on Denver television news stations and The Denver Post, at about 7:45 a.m. the trucker pulled on onto the shoulder to chain up. It was not in a designated chain-up area, even though there is a chain-up area on westbound Interstate 70 at mile marker 221 near where the incident occurred.

The trucker was identified as Clifton Dickerson of Sante Fe, NM, and he was taken to a nearby hospital. The 23-year-old driver of the Jeep was not injured, according to officers at the scene, but he was arrested for careless driving.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
Also,..anyone considering a Wilson amp,...I highly recommend one, this thing takes one signal bar and amps it up to 4 sometimes 5,..great signal for when your far away from a tower.
How much those things cost? I went on the website but they want you to send an email asking for price.

You know going through my numbers I see it cost quite a bit to start up with all the little things needed adding up. So I figure I'm all set now (today got the crossfire wires) but now looking at this thing I'm thinking it makes sense to get it to. Wonding when will be enough and I can not spend so much on the truck? And mind you I bought a Freightliner and would never dream of spending money on things like lights and chrome but all this other stuff is adding up to.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
Thanks everyone,..this is turning out to be quite a trip. I would be ready to head out during the first Winter storm of the year :roll: ,..o'well,..I forgot to install the weather changer.
I agree about the old truck,..I grew up in the cold and remember what happened to all of our farm machinery when the mercury dropped below 30,....but I also don't want to eliminate a good run because I have to drive through a "chain required" state. Am I going to run with chains?? probably only to get to a safe location,..other than that,..its shut down and wait for the roads to clear. I have enough supplies to last 2 weeks,..I could park anywhere and wait,...thats why I built this truck the way I did.
My goal on this trip is to get back to the SE after I pick up my trailer,..and then try to run I-10 for the winter ( I have to get over to Glendale for my genny engine swap), but I sure don't want to burn a bridge with a good paying cutomer by telling them I can't run,..because its too cold.

Oh come on DH....your gonna go run the pu**y lanes....I thought your were more of a man than that!! :wink: :wink:

There is nothing better than -20 wind and snow 3am putting on chains!! Just ask Steve!! :wink: :wink:

Oh and by the way were will be near san Diego this week :wink:

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04

There is nothing better than -20 wind and snow 3am putting on chains!! Just ask Steve!! :wink: :wink:
Ya, no kidding. Then trying to stretch chains 3" by hand because you bought the wrong ones and didn't go through a dry run in the nice weather!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Board Regular

Person:no clue
Doghouse: good luck
Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Merrick,
The unit costs around $450.00, but its worth it when there is a weak signal. Its not perfect though, you have to place the remote inside antenna within 6 inches of your laptop card, but other than that it works great.
When I pulled in here, I had one bar, after turning it on I have 5 bars, and a great signal,..so theres one piece of technology that is being tested with positive results.

Tootie,
The pu$$y lanes,.....Bo has his hands full :lol: , but really I need to make sure this old truck will hold up,..I'm ready for Yellow Knife,....but my truck might not be.

Steve,
I'll get a chance to test my chains out when I pick up my trailer,..its sitting in 1' of snow,...up on a small hill :? ,..should be fun.

Sonny,
Thanks,...I'm gonna need it.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Board Regular