User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Merrick, sometimes you can run intrastate in Florida and make good money. I have known of a few people who live in the state who do pretty well. Many good paying loads never make it to the loadboards. Brokers and shippers will go to those with whom they have previously done business and only go to the loadboards if they can't book it first. Also, keep in mind that things are always especially slow during certain holidays, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. You just need to plan for those holidays accordingly. Sometimes you can put LTL's together out of bad areas and do well. Remember, when you pull a reefer you can also haul dry van freight.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Merrick- Be careful what you listen to.... someone with so much experience wouldnt be using the load board as his only resource then just deadheading out. Someone with so much experience would make some phone calls and load the wagon, or make some calls get nothing, check boards get nothing then make a decision to move the truck and suck it up!! He could have loaded pallets out of Jax, he could have gone to Savannah, Lake City, Up into Macon/Atlanta, he could have loaded something and went through the house with it. Be careful what you listen to......
Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can usually find something to put on a truck, even in a bad area. It is usually a matter of whether you want to haul for the rate offered. When I go into Florida, I always expect to deadhead out. If I find something that pays decent, fine, if not I stick with my plan. It isn't that freight isn't available, in most cases, but the rate is too cheap for me to load it on my truck. There are those who will load those cheap loads. Whether to load cheap out of a bad area or not is a personal business decision. I deadhead out. Others feel that they will cover their costs by taking the cheap load. There are those who will load out of Florida and drive 800 miles or more for $1/mile or less. Again, that is your decision.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I'm assuming my stickers are at home Rank. I ordered them a while ago. I'm not sure if my cab card needs to be updated with Canada but will check on that when I go home. I need to have Alaska put on also.

Steve, you usually renew your cabcard with all the states and Canada at the same time.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Merrick- Be careful what you listen to.... someone with so much experience wouldnt be using the load board as his only resource then just deadheading out. Someone with so much experience would make some phone calls and load the wagon, or make some calls get nothing, check boards get nothing then make a decision to move the truck and suck it up!! He could have loaded pallets out of Jax, he could have gone to Savannah, Lake City, Up into Macon/Atlanta, he could have loaded something and went through the house with it. Be careful what you listen to......
Aint you something....

First of all sir, i did, in fact deadhead out to Atlanta on couple of occasions before but this particular time I had to go home, as i was out almost 3 weeks.

I could have loaded pallets out of Jax :lol: , what pallets. $50 a piece and even so, THERE WAS NOT ANY to load. I do not have contacts in Florida like you succesefull millionares do. If i wanted to get out to anywhere I could, but not to my home in Charlotte. And any ,,getting out'' is CHEAP which i refuse to do.

You're gonna tell me that I could LTL out, when LTL is all I do from Chicago and East and I know it pretty well.

PS
I went to a Schneider's website, checked their rate out of Miami to Charlotte, its $1.01 cpm, but am sure you have bigger contacts that National ever did down there...

I run dry van, and Florida had nothing worth looking at !!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
Aint you something....
I TRY!!!! :wink:

Quote:
contacts in Florida like you succesefull millionares do.
Dont tell my wife that I have made Millionaire status :wink: :wink:

Quote:
You're gonna tell me that I could LTL out, when LTL is all I do from Chicago and East and I know it pretty well.

but am sure you have bigger contacts that National ever did down there...
Which ever National you run for should pay you better, then you wouldnt have to come here complaining to TRUE o/o's (like Merrick) who load their own wagons. You could drop in Florida and head on home to Charlotte without looking for a cheap load that National is going to take their cut from and leave you what's left. How many companies have you been with in the last year? I thought you were with Fedex, then I thought you ran your own authority, now you mention National. Merrick...be careful who you listen to.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN

Steve, you usually renew your cabcard with all the states and Canada at the same time.
I realize that but it won't be for a while to that's due again. I have it made in NH though. It's a friendly office environment and you get to sit at a nice ladies desk and she does everything for you with a smile. If you forgot something at home she overlooks it and tells you to fax it or send it in. I would like to get this out of the way and be done with it.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I wish all states were as friendly and helpful as New Hampshire. My state has gotten better, but there are so many trucking companies headquartered in Tennessee. I suppose it takes it's toll on the employees. Averitt, U.S. Express, Covenant, Star, Nationwide, Big G Express, are some of the larger carriers who base in my home state. There are many more mid to smaller carriers. That is a lot of cabcards. :shock:
Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Rookie

I wish that I has a computer in my truck G-man maybe you could ve got me something out of Nashville Friday. I sat all day Thursday and Friday I had enough and dead head home. :sad:
Old 12-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Funny you mentioned something in Nashville, dteam. I got a call Thursday about a load about 30 miles from Nashville. They really needed a truck. I didn't have a truck close enough without a deadhead.