User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default ANOTHER WONDERFULL DAY IN BAGHDAD !!!!!

Hey everyone

Ok we will try this again n maybe I won't hit the wrong button n delete it !!!!!

I'm in my 4th year over here. I make about 94,000$ a year. I get paid 1 time a month . Some months are 4 week months at about 7500$ and some are 5 week months at about 9300$ . I work 12 hours or more a day and get paid by the hour 7 days a week. I get a RNR (vacation) every 4 months . The first 80,000 is tax free. Everything is supplied . Meals Lodgeing Trans . The food is really a lot better than I thought it would be . I eat in the military defacts (cafe) with the military. It's dangerous you can get killed or hurt or captured.I have my own room now .

The first 6 months I lived in the same 15 by 15 room with 3 other smelly people !!!! Some sleep in a tent but not any more. No camels here in Baghdad but south of here on the way to KUWAIT there are huge herds of them. Ive been passed by other convoys on the highway only to see them blown up a half a mile in front of me. Burning wrecked fuel tanker trucks Hum-Vees ect ect .. I've worked with people from all over world and enjoyed it. The only reason I will quit next year n come home is because I miss running my own truck n my own bussiness and being out on my own.

I've used the money to improve my trucking bussiness and equipment. I've replaced everything except my ol Pete because it has seen me through 3 divorces and ran and kept me in bussiness when I did'nt have the money to maintain it. But it has all been customized now and I'm real proud of it. I have a new wife now that is a Chinese National that was born n raised in Mainland China and is the best thing that ever happened to me. She is in the USA finally and wants me to quit n come home to be with her.

That will be a easy way for all of you to spot me out on the street. There won't be too many long blonde haired guys out there with a young chinese lady in the truckstops. The job has been a real blessing for me because I was bored with driveing my truck in the states and really was'nt makeing the money I wanted to with the flat-bed I had so now by buying this detach (RGN) and later a step deck or a car haulin trailer and haveing my own authority and doing the broker authority as well makeing a liveing should be easier. Thats why I'm try'n to keep track of whats going on back there.

The website for this job is (www.kbrjobs.com) they have a addin the military newspaper Stars n Stripes that they are hireing people . I chased this job through the internet and finally got a phone number for a requiter and got hired after about 4 months of e-mails n callin them every 2 weeks !!!! If you can't take being away from home for 4 months at a crack then I would'nt do this. I had no wife and no family and no nothing so it did'nt really bother me. I was used to being gone for 2 or 3 months at a time anyway.

But it was different even for me to understand after I got here that I could'nt just fire up the truck n leave !!!! You are here !!! You can quit n go home but then you loose your job if it's not a RNR. The first 2 years I hardly made a trip fromBaghdad to Kuwait that I did'nt get the windshiel shot through n shattered. When I first got here and was assigned a truck I was cleaning it and could'nt get the glass to stop comeing out from under the dash !!! That was a eree feeling.

My supervisor came out n said he had never seen such a clean truck. I asked him about the glass n he just smiled n said I'd understand later !!!!! I guess thats why the windshield looked so new !!! Because it was new !!! The heat is really some-thing. I've seen 139 degrees . You haft to stay in the AC as much as possible. It's really nice here in the winter about like Miami.

I'm here if ya'll have any questions ???

Steve--jonboy-Ggal-furbus sorry it took me so long but I've been a little busy the last couple of days .

Stay Safe Ya'LL
Old 11-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Posting Date: November 02, 2007 Posting End Date: December 02, 2008
Product Line: Government & Infrastructure
Sub-Product Line: Operations, Maintenance and Logistics
Job Category: Transportation
Employment Type: Project Hire
Target Salary Range: N/A
Job Description:
Reports to and receives assignments, instructions, and direction from the Foreman or General Foreman. Reads and interprets instructions and documentation and plans work activities. Operates company vehicles with capacity of up to 30 tons to move materials, tools, and equipment to and from work locations in support of construction and maintenance activities and/or deliver operating materials and supplies from one warehouse to another. Loads and unloads vehicles. Observes and follows all safety rules and procedures, including wearing required personal safety equipment. Performs other duties and activities as directed. Requires appropriate license. Typically requires 2 years of related experience.

It should be understood that employment may be located in potentially dangerous areas, including combat or war zones. This might involve the possibility of suffering harm by dangerous forces or friendly fire. These dangers are inherent to working conditions in a dangerous environment.

Skills (Required):
Class A CDL
Class A CDL with Haz/Tanker
Other (See resume or job desc)
Truck Driving - Local
Skills (Preferred):
MOS - 88M
Languages:
English
Clearance Required? No
Years of Relevant Experience: 2 to 4
Old 11-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, I've been broke, and divored, and I've been bored, but I can't think of either of those three things that would make you consider doing what you're doing..... :wink: sarcasm intended.

jonboy
Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Well, I've been broke, and divored, and I've been bored, but I can't think of either of those three things that would make you consider doing what you're doing..... :wink: sarcasm intended.

jonboy

I'm not sure if you misspelled that word but it means the same. Divorced or Devoured. Just kidding, saw some humor there.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy

jonboy

Hey jonboy

No sarcasm taken my friend. This was some-thing I wanted to do. 9-11 really got to me. My uncle used to work in the Pentagon. I never had the chance to go to the military after high school to do some-thing for my country. I wanted to help fight this war but was too old to join the service. I really was tired and bored with running in the USA but funny thing now I can't wait to sleep at the truckstop in my Pete again. Get up n have coffee and breakfast at the counter n all that jaz !!! Every time I come home I go to the Petro at Effingham ILL (about 30 miles from my place) to have a meal. It makes me feel good to help our military and it has been a real positive thing for me in a lot of ways as well. It's really opened my eyes up to a lot . I would have never met my wife if I would'nt have done this !!!!

STAY SAFE YA'LL !!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Ash,

We'll have to talk someday. I've only dated Chinese girls for the last 3 years and they are awesome. Sometimes their logic doesn't make any sense to me though. Stay safe.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Rookie
Default Question: former US Ambassador

Is KBR still hot on that no guns thing?
and thanks for the update.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:16 PM

thanks for the info, I wouldn't even consider going over with a young family here in colorado but jobs like that always interest me, back in 1990 or so while working at the limon prison as an electrician I worked with a guy whose dad worked construction in antarctica and I seriously considered going down there but it just so happens that at the same time I met my blushing bride and decided against going.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:40 PM

What kind of place do you live in? Is it something that was built by the military?

Do you have your own shower? Can you take a shower every day or is your water rationed?

Does your truck have A/C?

Do they have stuff to entertain you at night?

I assume your inside a base. Can you go into town?

Does the base have a store like Walmart where you can buy stuff?

Is the stuff that you buy real cheap?

Do you go out for the whole day and if so, how do you get food?

Is there like road stops where you can go to the bathroom or get something to eat?

Do you drive alone or is someone in the cab with you?

Do you wear a vest?

Do you have a helmet?

Do you have to wear special clothes given to you?

Is Paris Hilton there?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Oh ya, how about a picture of you in front of your truck? I'll post it for you if you email it to me. [email protected]