User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
The taller the legs on the fifth wheel the more leverage the trailer has to rip the fifth off the frame in a serious crash.
Makes sense to me, especially if it's not done right.

It's interesting about the 5th wheel height changing the weight distribution, I didn't even think of that before.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
It's interesting about the 5th wheel height changing the weight distribution, I didn't even think of that before.
That's the problem I'm having,with a freight haulers 5th wheel height of 48 1/2" and LP 24.5's.I am usually 35-38k on the drives while only 31-32 on the trailer tandems.I need to move some product to the back of the trailer.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Interesting, I always wondered why tankers had absolutely no ability to slide the wheels.

Makes more sense now.

BTW, make sure your ride height is set correctly, that can change 5th wheel height up to an inch.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Also, I guess there's also the ability to run different size tires on the trailer too(there's LOTS of different lo pro 22.5 sizes).
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
That's the problem I'm having,with a freight haulers 5th wheel height of 48 1/2" and LP 24.5's.I am usually 35-38k on the drives while only 31-32 on the trailer tandems.I need to move some product to the back of the trailer.
I don't think Ron Dana would have a problem with you getting the tall tires and switching out your two inch legs for four inch ones. 8)
Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
I don't think Ron Dana would have a problem with you getting the tall tires and switching out your two inch legs for four inch ones. 8)
nope,but he has cussed guys out for being too high.....he bitches more about guys "dropping" his trailers beause the legs don't extend that far.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:47 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the responses. All things being equal, and everything requiring a compromise of one type or the other, I am trying to get set up correctly from the start. It is possible that I am putting too much thought into the process (I tend to be a bit anal at times :roll: ). If I were returning to pneumatics I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Since I have been away from tanks for a while and I am working of memory (scary thought, since I have closed my eyes a time or two since then ops: ) I am trying not to make or at least minimize the possibility of a costly mistake.
I am trying to balance what is economical (fuel economy) with what is practical/required for the job. The tire swap is part of the deal on the truck, so no issues there. After the change, I hope to be at 53". Tougher and more expensive to get set up initially; however once you get it done you don't have to fool with it again.

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

Dave