User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm leaning toward the Pete 386. I went and looked at one of them today and the ISX has 1850 torque. These trucks are used only on paper. Two of them have never pulled a load they were bought and delivered but never used. The company owner apparently was drinking on his 10 hr break :wink: and got into a bad situation and lost his whole new fleet.

These trucks still have the plastic on the seats floor and mattress. They have all power accessories and are very nice. I think I can negotiate the price down to that of the 9900 IX and that would be a pretty good deal since in five years the Pete will be worth twice as much.

I am holding off as long as I can but the company truck I am in now just is not comfortable. I am sick of trying to keep ice in my cooler instead of just reaching into my refrig. I am tired of getting out to push on any hill over 2%. I am tired of oil flowing freely out of the engine in this beater making it impossible to keep the truck clean. I am tired of this crappy ten speed jumping out of gear any time i hit a bump without any torque to hold it in. I don't even like the fact that I can't get a PM as often as I would like to.

As to the used vs new debate, well I cannot find a clean truck that I can't smell smoke in. I have to live in this truck for days at a time so I will not compromise on that as smoke smell nausiates me. Also I think that the warranty coverage and the knowledge that I won't have to worry about major problems for a while is a nice consideration. I will have nice revenue pulling tanks and although I did buy used and came out well with it before I can afford the payment and I think its time to treat myself to a new truck.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 AM

Buy whichever truck you like best. The differenc ein price isn't much between any of them and you're going to be living with it for the next 5 years, so make yourself happy.

Different strokes for different folks, some say buy used but if you can get a good deal on an '07 pre-emissions truck spec'd the way you want, go for it. The 386's are a nice truck.

For what it's worth, I went from an '05 Coronado to a '07 Pete 379. I love the pete, but do have to admit there are times where I miss the openness of the wide cab. Overall though it's a small price to pay, the truck is tight, build 10x better and when you're driving down the road it really doesn't matter how high the ceiling is between the seats, or how far apart they are.

There's nothing wrong with the ISX, 90% of the trucks at my company are C15's but there are 3 guys with ISX's and they love them. I've heard from various sources that in direct competition, the ISX is more economical than the C15 and will outpull it on the hills.

Given your options, for me it would be a toss-up between your first 3 choices. Have you sat in all 3, and driven both a new ISX and a new Cat? Personally, I'm partial to the Cat I just like the way it runs and feels, and it would play strongly into my decision. What does the 9900ix have that the Pete/KW don't, interior-wise?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Board Regular

When you ask which ruck to get, your going to get a million and one answers and your still going to be the only one to decide.

Find one you like, cause it your money, your the one who has to live in it, Drive it, and depend on it.