User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't worry about the ISX. They had issues when the first 02-emissions came out but so did everyone else. They got their act together and are just fine. I've got one in an '06 T800 and have had very little trouble. In fact, Solo is the only person I've run into who wasn't disappointed in their Cat since they went to the twin turbo. Of course I'm partial to the T800 out of your choices 8) In fact, I know where you can get a lightweight spec T8 with a 550 and a Studio :shock: for under 6 figures :lol:
Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
I wouldn't worry about the ISX. They had issues when the first 02-emissions came out but so did everyone else. They got their act together and are just fine. I've got one in an '06 T800 and have had very little trouble. In fact, Solo is the only person I've run into who wasn't disappointed in their Cat since they went to the twin turbo. Of course I'm partial to the T800 out of your choices 8) In fact, I know where you can get a lightweight spec T8 with a 550 and a Studio :shock: for under 6 figures :lol:
I need info on this truck. If you have a link to an add or the name of the dealer so I can look into it I would appreciate it. I assume its new. Studio may be a little heavy so I need to talk to the dealer. Pm me please.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

LOL, not new 330,000 miles and it's mine :lol: I spec'd it myself so it's set up a little differently than most, also why it's not cheap...but I'd hate to see what the sticker would be on it now :shock: Stamped weight is a little under 17,250. If you have any questions about the T8 in general or this truck's specs in particular, I'll be happy to answer them.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Rookie

We sell many trucks with the ISX engines and have had no complaints. People love them....good power and fuel mileage. We sell mainly 2001 and newer trucks though. The ISX is mostly standard in the 2003 and forward Volvos we get here.

As to the smoke smell of a used truck, that goes to the dealer. All of our trucks - I can only speak for my store - go through the detailing process and none of them smell like smoke when they are put on the front line. The detail shops we use know what we expect and they are on the ball. If a truck comes back and it is sub par for some reason, they take it back and make it right. Smokey smell = cheap, lazy dealer...IMHO. We spend more money on the reconditioning of our trucks probably them any other dealer out there, and it shows. Remember, price is what you pay, value is what you get.

I agree with the comment that the value of that new truck drops as soon as you drive it off the lot. I believe that the only way to buy a truck is to buy a used truck. I could have gone to work at a new truck dealer but I choose to work with a used dealer. A three year old truck with ~450,000 miles for about half (or less) what a new one costs is the smart way to go. Just my opinion....your mileage may vary.

Whatever you buy, good luck with it!!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Board Regular

IMO I wouldn't buy any of them,

1. Too much money
2. Bad fuel mileage
3. Too much hit on depreciation

New trucks are nice, but take your time and find a good used truck 03 or older, and the money you save you can use it for maintanence.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
Greybeard I would love to buy used instead of new. I had excellent service from my last truck which I bought used but this job I am going to be running the system and staying in the truck for four or five nights at a time. This is all fine but I must have looked at thirty used trucks in the last couple of months and I did not find one truck that had not been smoked in. Every truck I look at smells like an ashtray and I cannot stand the smell. I cannot subject myself to that for so many hours.

Gman all the trucks on my list are pre 07 emission trucks. There is no way I am going to be a guinnea pig for the new engines.
Almost every truck I've driven was previously occupied by a smoker. Yes, it can be strong at first, but for me the smell always went away.

What continued after the smell was gone was the steering wheel residue. After just 10 miles, my hands would smell like smoke. I could never get rid of it in any truck.

Simple solution to that, buy a new steering wheel, problem solved.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:25 PM

I agree with not buying new! The only new vehicle I have ever bought was a 2000 Road King Classic.

I am also in the market for a truck, but I want me a older Flat Top Pete! I can see the all the :sad: :sad: :? :? I only plan to run regional. Chicago Memphis & Dallas

My wife wants a new car, she has never had one, so I plan to buy her one, just this one time. We are only paying for bragging rights and the new car smell!!!

I have alway had good luck with pre-own vehicle.

Clean that truck up with vinegur & water, buy you a new steering wheel, and febreze it like crazy!

Good Luck!

"Big Red One" , 3rd ID, 82nd Airborne, Recondo, Jumpmaster, & Drill Sergeant

OOIDA
Old 10-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
In fact, Solo is the only person I've run into who wasn't disappointed in their Cat since they went to the twin turbo.
:lol: I believe, that Truckdobe, was quite happy about it too, and she know the difference...! 8)
BTW Since fuel prices jump again, I've easy it down, just a bit, and averaging 7.4 mpg for the last couple months! :P 8)
Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Board Member

One more thing! I've got my 2005 T6 in may 2004, for around $105,000.
325,000 miles, 3.5 years, and about half a million gross revenue later, it's still has fair market value, of about $75,000.
And i consider those 30 grand difference, is money well spend! Just an opinion! :wink:
Old 10-21-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

I forgot TD had one too. She didn't have it long enough to count :lol: I can't believe how well yours is doing, seems like your mileage just keeps improving. Like I said, I run into very few who have had the success you have. Of course, most aren't as conscientious about the engine and how to drive it either. You think your truck's holding its value now, just wait until 2010. There will be a nice premium on a well cared for '05.