Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: New o/o needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileater
I have offers from 4 or 5 companies and would appreciate any input, good or bad, that you might have. I'm a little tenative about the leap. These companies are: Pacer Transport, Mason Dixon, Roadrunner Dawes, MCT, ATS, and possibly Landstar. Thanks. [/img]

When you consider a leasing to a carrier there are some factors you should consider before leasing. A big one is whether they have forced dispatch. Another is whether they pay percentage or mileage. I would not want to lease to a carrier who pays mileage or has forced dispatch. You will usually make more on percentage. If you are paid mileage for all miles, then it should not make any difference where you go. Some carriers have dispatchers and others, such as Landstar, do not. I have not heard a lot of negative about any of the carriers you listed. I did lease to Landstar at one time, but it has been a number of years ago. You will need to be proactive with them. Other than the paperwork, it is like running your own authority. You can do well or lose your shirt. It is entirely up to you. They have the freight. It is up to you to find the best paying loads. You should also allow about 6 months to learn their system. I did pretty well when I was leased to Landstar. I prefer running my own authority. I believe all of the other carriers you mentioned have assigned dispatchers.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks Gman. I am looking at % with most of these carriers but I've found that most of them will also offer loaded and empty cpm. Just from reading the information posted in here I'm learning that % is the way to go. If you choose cpm you'll be running harder while the carrier makes more $ on the good paying loads. Most of these carriers say that they are not forced disp like Pacer Trans. for instance has no forced Disp. but you can also broker your own loads and they don't take 90% of the fsc like Mason Dixon who claim to be non forced disp. I'm just trying to learn all I can about these co's. Eventually I'd like to get my own authority but do not believe I'm ready just yet.[/quote]
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Rookie

By the way how do you get the quote to come up on the reply as I always see it done.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Roadrunner dawes ive done very good with them, roadrunner you have no dispatchers, you find your own loads whether it be if your in a city with one of their terminals for nationwide LTL term to term delivery or finding a broker and getting your own loads, they have very good rates and i like not being told what to do and where to go etc, anything else you wanna know about them just gimme a shout....
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
Roadrunner dawes ive done very good with them, roadrunner you have no dispatchers, you find your own loads whether it be if your in a city with one of their terminals for nationwide LTL term to term delivery or finding a broker and getting your own loads, they have very good rates and i like not being told what to do and where to go etc, anything else you wanna know about them just gimme a shout....
Thanks for reply marcel. If you don't mind what kind of rates are you talking about?. I've never run LTL, how do you like that?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member

i enjoy it, the depends on what terminal your at, and you take a load of LTL and deliver to another terminal or somewhere like a southeastern or yellow, pays good. i do mostly broker loads though