User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie

Since money is not an issue,and you think you want to be a long haul
truck driver let me tell you a story, I am 56 years old, retired, 3 years ago one of my sons thought he wanted to be a truck driver, I sent him to
a trucking school and he got his CDL class A license and the same school
got him a job with a carrier @ $300.00 per week as co driver of an Owner/Operator (3000 miles per week) he did not like and asked me if I could get him a truck and carrier authority which I did I got him a 1999 Freightliner Century and a 1997 Hunday 53` dray van, got the MC #, insurance and every thing to star hauling, we live at the border with Mexico and I have contacts with the Maquiladora Industry and got him a
dedicated route from Mc Allen,TX to Detroit MI hauling auto parts made in Mexico, well his truck driving vocation lasted for about 3 months before he
started missing his friends,girl friend and week end parties, so one day he just told me he was not driving any more and parked the truck and went back to his office job (he is an universal waste handler) for a ship breaking company, there was 22 months $1000.00 payment for the truck
plus a smaller payment for the van which he agreed to cover until we could sale the rig, then one night I decided I was going to drive that rig,next morning enrrollled to trucking school 6 week later got my CDL, the dedicated route was too mouch for me and bought a 8 car high mount trailer and started running hauling cars just in Texas, right now I have over 200,000 accident free driven miles, so if you have the money,get your CDL, buy your truck, and start driving it does not take a rocket cientific to be a good safe driver since your first day solo in the road
Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Rookie
Default Newbie

truck driver let me tell you a story, I am 56 years old, retired, 3 years ago one of my sons thought he wanted to be a truck driver, I sent him to
got him a job with a carrier @ $300.00 per week as co driver of an Owner/Operator (3000 miles per week) he did not like and asked me if I could get him a truck and carrier authority which I did I got him a 1999 Freightliner Century and a 1997 Hunday 53` dray van, got the MC #, insurance and every thing to star hauling, we live at the border with Mexico and I have contacts with the Maquiladora Industry and got him a
dedicated route from Mc Allen,TX to Detroit MI hauling auto parts made in Mexico, well his truck driving vocation lasted for about 3 months before he
started missing his friends,girl friend and week end parties, so one day he just told me he was not driving any more and parked the truck and went back to his office job (he is an universal waste handler) for a ship breaking company, there was 22 months $1000.00 payment for the truck
plus a smaller payment for the van which he agreed to cover until we could sale the rig, then one night I decided I was going to drive that rig,next morning enrrollled to trucking school 6 week later got my CDL, the dedicated route was too mouch for me and bought a 8 car high mount trailer and started running hauling cars just in Texas, right now I have over 200,000 accident free driven miles, so if you have the money,get your CDL, buy your truck, and start driving it does not take a rocket cientific to be a good safe driver since your first day solo in the road
Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Rookie
Default Newbie

Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Rookie
Default Sorry

Sorry for the redundancy, old computer freezing
Old 09-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I didn't quite understand your last post Ghost. Could you please repeat it?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Board Regular
Default It takes dedication and extensive research

I bought a cargo van after CDL school because I didn't want to drive OTR with a company.My E350 was used for both expediting and courier and I was usually home everyday.I did this for one year and then took a CDL refresher course at a technical college.I went and bought my truck from truckpaper, I started hauling containers for 6 months and then signed on with Landstar.I hauled dry van with this truck for 9 months and just switched over to a stepdeck after taking their securement class.My first load with a stepdeck is this coming wednedsay.The agent said it's a TANK.
"hey forklift driver, do I strap this thing with a chain or the 13 straps I have"?"Can I also put some bungees around here"? LOL!!!!!!!!!!
If you put your mind to it you will make it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM

I use a fresh new roll of clothes line rope on every load. I want to be extra safe and not risk old frayed rope.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member

First off the bat, put 100 grand in an IRA and never think about touching it again till your 65. Then you can mess up and still have a nice nest egg.
But don't use it no matter what! I say go for it. You are single. I do agree to go to a company and drive a little. Even if it's just for a couple weeks or months. You should know right away if it's for you. If you are a knucklehead behind the wheel don't do it. Some people just can't drive, others are naturals. You must have a wise head on your shoulders.
Then go out and get help from someone finding a decent truck if you don't have the knowledge. I have nothing against what Steve did. I have respect for what he did and I don't even know him. I just think a little bit of company driving won't kill you. I know how we all like instant gradification. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
First off the bat, put 100 grand in an IRA and never think about touching it again till your 65. Then you can mess up and still have a nice nest egg.
But don't use it no matter what! I say go for it. You are single. I do agree to go to a company and drive a little. Even if it's just for a couple weeks or months. You should know right away if it's for you. If you are a knucklehead behind the wheel don't do it. Some people just can't drive, others are naturals. You must have a wise head on your shoulders.
Then go out and get help from someone finding a decent truck if you don't have the knowledge. I have nothing against what Steve did. I have respect for what he did and I don't even know him. I just think a little bit of company driving won't kill you. I know how we all like instant gradification. Good Luck.
If he is currently a financial advisor making six figures, I'm guessing he has that IRA thing all figured out.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" - Ronald Reagan
Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="azcardnlz"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82

If he is currently a financial advisor making six figures, I'm guessing he has that IRA thing all figured out.
You can't put 100 grand in an IRA all at once either. Whatever the limits, put in all you can and let it grow. That's what I do.