User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i dont know if anyone else would agree with me but the first year is the hardest, im 28 own my own truck/trailer and all that good stuff i started driving the week after i turned 21, i left college early, people told me i was dumb but ive never regreted my decision, but at the time i left i had 1 kid(have 3 now) and it was hard being gone, but some1 in your situation with no one at home to worry about should do good,,,,,, let us know how it goes
Old 09-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd rather be hauling RVs then driving a truck.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Molson, I think you should do what makes you happy. There are a lot of us who do this because we CHOOSE to do it. Many of us could do as well or better doing something else, but have made a decision to drive a truck. I suggest driving for a company for at least a year or two before buying a truck. First, most of the better companies will require a minimum of 1-2 years of otr driving experience before they will offer you a lease. Second, you may not enjoy doing this every day. It is much easier to walk away when you don't have a major investment at stake. You could do as Steve and a few others have done. They had no driving experience but decided to get their authority rather than working for a company. Some have not made it. The jury is still out on some of the others. Again, some will make it regardless of the odds. There is a lot more to being successful in this business other than buying a truck.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
i dont know if anyone else would agree with me but the first year is the hardest, im 28 own my own truck/trailer and all that good stuff i started driving the week after i turned 21, i left college early, people told me i was dumb but ive never regreted my decision, but at the time i left i had 1 kid(have 3 now) and it was hard being gone, but some1 in your situation with no one at home to worry about should do good,,,,,, let us know how it goes
Good to hear, congrats, seriously.

I dropped out of high schoool (everyone told me I was dumb)
Worked in sheet metal then ran the shop for 5 years making a great income for a 21 yr old. Decided to quit that job, sell everything, move back with mom and dad to pursue the financial services. (everone told me I was dumb)

I am now a partner in a financial firm, have a great career which allows and has allowed me to have everything I have ever wanted.

I look back at my decisions and never regreted them for a second. Even if I did not make it in sheet metal, at least I tried and have no regrets.

Even if I did not make it in financial services, at least I tried and would never wonder what if.

Thanks bud and I will keep you up to date on the progress. I will tell you, I am taking it very slow and making sure all my ducks are in order.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Molson, I think you should do what makes you happy. There are a lot of us who do this because we CHOOSE to do it. Many of us could do as well or better doing something else, but have made a decision to drive a truck. I suggest driving for a company for at least a year or two before buying a truck. First, most of the better companies will require a minimum of 1-2 years of otr driving experience before they will offer you a lease. Second, you may not enjoy doing this every day. It is much easier to walk away when you don't have a major investment at stake. You could do as Steve and a few others have done. They had no driving experience but decided to get their authority rather than working for a company. Some have not made it. The jury is still out on some of the others. Again, some will make it regardless of the odds. There is a lot more to being successful in this business other than buying a truck.
So I have heard...can anyone give me a suggestion of good companies to look at that will give me good experience. I am not worried about the money, want to be a good trucker.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It can depend on where you live. Swift, Roehl, Schneider, Millis, CRST are a few who come to mind. All have training available. I would suggest paying for your own training and then go with a carrier. If you go through one of the company training programs they will expect you to stay with them for up to a year. I believe CRST only requires a 6 months commitment. You can check the company listings on this forum and see the requirements for most of the larger companies. I have never gone through one of the training programs. They didn't have those when I started. :wink:
Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Rookie

If I said large cars, who would you say?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Peterbilt (379) and Kenworth (W900). Large cars usually refer to the large or long hoods.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Rookie

are there companies that are more geared to that type of truck for getting experience?

Sorry to ask so many questions, and thanks for the help. Just trying to get the most info. Knowledge is power.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most of the training companies have Freightliners and Volvo's. Some have Internationals. Most carriers who have Pete's and KW's want experienced drivers.