User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow thanks a lot no_worries I would have never thought of the air dryer thing. I may be mistaken but didn't you get a new trailer? The reason I ask is I assume they wouldn't be putting recaps on new trailers. They put Michelin Pilot-XT 1 on my trailer.

Actually just now I was going over them and airing them up and I just found a screw embedded in one. I'm actually right next to a tire place (one of those Cooter in the boondocks place you mention too ) and he came out and looked at it and said that I don't need to touch it. I think I saw one on my friends truck once and he said not to worry about it.

By the way how do you take care of the air dryer, just by pulling those cords everyday?

Also by the way for the truck I have General D460 on the drives. Like I said I don't know anything about this stuff. I actually in a way use to take pride that I knew nothing of this stuff for cars anyway. I don't like mechanics and I don't like sports (which I need to keep reminding every New Yorker that hears my Boston accent and wants to start debating the Yankees and Red Sox.) I am very interested in keeping this truck running so I'll learn as much as I can. You do seem like you know a lot from what I read here and over at OOIDA.

But of course it's like I read in a cover of a Berlitz book one time, a guy came back from France and said the people are so smart over there, even 5 year olds speak French.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 AM

Lots of great info

I wish I knew how to post a clickable link but here is a link to the place I get my tire repair supplies and double valve caps

http://myerstiresupply.com/pls/myers...rt_id=nrrf6265

Thanks Mike
Old 09-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the posting the link! That's exactly what I've been looking for.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I haven't gotten the new trailer yet. I'm debating on which direction I want to go operationally before making a commitment. I was thinking of getting more specialized in which case I would be dropping a rather large amount on a trailer. Given my continued less-than-sunny outlook on where freight's headed, I may actually simplify. Bottom line...no new trailer yet :lol:

As far as maintaining the air system, yes, you should drain your tanks each morning. I think we covered that in an earlier thread, lol. Also, make sure you follow your manufacturer's recommendation for changing the dessicant on the dryer. I went a little long on mine and ended up with corrosion around a valve stem. Not positive that the two are connected but it's likely. I know that KW recommends rebuilding the purge valve when the dessicant is changed, so that would be something to check with Freightliner on. Other than that, just keep an eye on the system. Be aware of leaks that develop and don't let them go too long. Often they will cause the compressor to cycle with greater frequency and that's just extra wear and tear on the components.

Funny how a $100,000 piece of equipment inspires you to learn about things you previously had no interest in, isn't it?

:lol:
Old 09-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks no_worries. Yes I do remember asking about the air dryer before but I just thought that there was something else besides pulling the cord.

Really it's not even the price of the truck that has me like this. I go by or try and go by "what's smart". It's not smart to not take care of this thing. Even on our cars, if I saw that the wife let the car go beyond 3000 miles without an oil change I flip. We have cheap cars but they have been very good to us cause I take care of them.

Thanks again I really appreciate all your help.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Rookie

I have Continentals for my steers. They have 24/32 of tread depth, which is, I believe more tread than any other steer tire. Don't quote me on that number, but when I purchased these, that tread depth was what I was interested in and I remember it being 2/32 more than all other steers. They really ride nicely, especially after I had my front end aligned!! And they have a lot of "meat" on them!