User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Parked the orange truck................

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper01
Sounds like Jonboy KNOWS how to run a business, i also know what he is saying here. I've been with some really lousy companies in my time that all they care about is MONEY, not the human who drives there trucks.
[/quote]

Thank you for the compliment, but it's undeserved. I can, however, tell you from experience, it can cost you in business treating people the way you want to be treated. I'm only sharing this to make a point.

I can remember one Christmas when we had very little because I kept two men on the payroll through the winter, when business was slow, because I knew they would have a difficult time finding work in our trade that time of year. Ironically, in the spring, when I needed them the most, they left for other jobs. They really never knew the sacrifice my family made for theirs, and I didn't lecture them when they left. I could have had much more if I would have let them go, but I put myself in their shoes. It's kind of an old school way, but it works for me. I have never regreted doing the right thing, now the wrong thing, that's another story. :wink:

As far as knowing how to run a business, by some peoples measure, I have failed because of such above mentioned situations, but I've learned, life is short and people are more important than money. At times I've had lots of friends and very little money. I know people that have lots of money and no friends, in fact there will probably only be a handful of people show up at their funeral, mostly just to make sure they are in the hole. :sad:

In our society it has become extraordinary to do something people did all the time 30 years ago???? I know plenty of old timers that did amazing things (in secret), such as, pay for my dads funeral, when our family had nothing, without asking for anything in return. Bringing food by the house and random money sent in the mail. I think these people shaped my character and have had more to do with any business success I've had, than they would ever know. Most of them were not "successful", by most peoples measure, but these are the kinds of people that are my heroes. Donald Trump, well, not so much.

My only regrets are, when I've had opportunities, at a time that could have affected someones whole future, I was too busy or self interested. Oh yea, I was focused on business.... :roll:

My estimation is, I've failed more than I have succeeded at the things that are the most important.

Here is my list of priorities in my business:
1. Get up every day and be thankful for what I have.
2. Call the fuel desk person by name and try to lighten their day.
3. Tip the shower attendant.
4. Encourage at least one new trucker who may be having a rough day.
5. Avoid the temptation to kill a broker.
6. Tell my wife, kids, and grandchilden I love them.

The rest of the business stuff will take care of itself.

Enough of this essay.....

jonboy
Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

i was brought up the same way...............do not be afraid............do your best ...........and let GOD do the rest............
BOL 2 ya........ 8) 8)
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_ca_la
[

Yo jonboy

I'd like to know if it will increase your insurance costs any when you get to doing it ????
Yes it will.

Ash, I'm paying $1050 per year for $100,000 cargo insurance, which excludes electronics and tobacco.

The quote I got for $350,000 cargo showing autos as well, came in at $2600 with a $1000 deductible.

I'm having the agent verify if that deductible is per incident or per car.

jonboy
1050 per year for 100,000 Cargo ??? I've been getting some rates for my equipment for the trip to Atlanta and ongoing after that and it's pretty expensive ???? A lot more than it was 4 years ago being leased to GreenTree !!!! The only one I've gotten back is from OOIDA so far . I've been talking to those agents of yours in Okla City and they are trying to get a license for ILL now ( been doing this for over 5 weeks now ?? ) and hav'nt got any quotes for me yet ????
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have never regreted doing the right thing, now the wrong thing, that's another story.
there's alotta good advice right there.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Board Regular

I've been tossing around a change to pulling cars or flats (some sort of specialization), ever since I got my authority,(which I was forced into due to my lack of experience and horrible mileage pay), and I think the new year is the right time. After pricing trailers (both carhaulers and flats), and total exhaustion dealing with cheap freight brokers, I've decided to make a more conservative move...., after all, I've taken enough risk for one year.

As someone has said on here, their 75% of 100% is more than my 100% of 100%, and they have to be close to right in my estimation. I'm really concerned that the rising fuel prices are going to do me in at some point and the risk is outweighing the benefit. I've got to get into a situation where their is a fuel surcharge. I keep thinking if we have some sort of international incident that could cause a run up in fuel prices it would end for me very quickly, so I'm considering leasing, as long as, I'm not competing against company driver.

I've been running the numbers on my costs of insurance, faxing contracts, factoring, time wasted negotiating or waiting for desperate brokers, and It is over $2000 per month or $500 per week. If I net $3000 after fuel (which is the best I've been able to do), and then take out the $500, I have $2500 left to cover my truck expenses and pay myself. That's if all goes well.
Even if you don't use a factor, you have to consider the use of your money as a cost waiting on receivables.

I've come to believe there are no good loads (dry van) on the boards, but just the leftover crap no one else wants, unless you consider loads that pay good going into places you have to drive 300 miles to get out of?? Someone has said there has been a proliferation of brokers recently, all trying to outbid the other, and this is hurting the freight rates. I really don't know, but it seems the shippers are taking advantage of all this, and the trucker is going to get hurt either way until there is some sort of correction.

I'm going to the CRST Malone (flatbed btw), orientation, but before I leave, I'm selling my dry van just so I can never go back to that again.

Hopefully I can do at least as good as I've been doing with a lot less hassle. Any advise is appreciated.

jonboy