User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another Fridge question

I have a 2005 Freightliner Columbia and want to install a fridge. I did a search but didn't find a clear answer in the previous threads. I have a 1000 watt inverter hardwired to the batteries and also have a ComfortPro APU.

I want to remove the table next to the bed and put the fridge there. I went to Walmart and was looking for the wattage etc on the box but no info there. Under the table is a 12V plug so I just want to plug it into the inverter. However as there is an APU I won't be idling the truck and if the weather is agreeable won't even have the APU on, so can I just leave the fridge plugged in or do I need to have the truck either idling (bad) or leave the APU on?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

have you contacted either the APU company or Freightliner?? They probably would have more concrete answers.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you buying a small fridge from wally world?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you plan on installing a regular refrigerator in the truck, you will not be able to leave it connected to your batteries for too long without the engine or APU running. A refrigerator can pull the batteries down fairly quickly without power to rebuild them. If you can't find the information you need on the packaging, you may be able to check the manufacturer and do a search for their web site.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks GMAN. Yes Doghhouse I was looking at the fridges in Walmart. I know you just built a small condo in your truck , do you have any suggestions for me?

I'm really not looking for much. I do have two electric coolers, but for some reason the plug under the table doesn't work. So I figure I'd just get a fridge and plug it in.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member

The units from Wallmart/Lowes/HomeDepot, are not designed for the vibrations from the road. I have seen quite a few of these units stop working because of this.
I am using a unit from www.truckfridge.com these are a bit more expensive, but they are warranted for 2 years, and they run on 12 volt power source. They are also designed to handle the road vibrations and also the ability to work if they are not perfectly level.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Another Fridge question

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
I have a 2005 Freightliner Columbia and want to install a fridge. I did a search but didn't find a clear answer in the previous threads. I have a 1000 watt inverter hardwired to the batteries and also have a ComfortPro APU.

I want to remove the table next to the bed and put the fridge there. I went to Walmart and was looking for the wattage etc on the box but no info there. Under the table is a 12V plug so I just want to plug it into the inverter. However as there is an APU I won't be idling the truck and if the weather is agreeable won't even have the APU on, so can I just leave the fridge plugged in or do I need to have the truck either idling (bad) or leave the APU on?

Thanks.
If your truck has a factory installed APU, talk with Freightliner, learn about the system your truck is equipped with. The cab should already be pre-wired if it is a factory APU, or the previous owner should have wires run, to points in the cab, for recepticales, if it is an aftermarket unit..
Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

The 12 volt plug is not connected to the inverter. The inverter takes 12 volts and turns it into 115volts. A 1000 watt inverter will run a small fridge, but probably you will be very close to the surge limit when it cycles on/off.
What I would do is add another deep cycle battery and use the isolator system. That way if your fridge does kill a battery, it won't be your starter batteries.Your truck alternator should have no problem charging the batteries, and your fridge can run pretty much non-stop,...unless you get out of the truck for a few days,..then it might hit the low charge level (10.5volts=dangerzone), and hurt your battery or just shut off all together and ruin your food.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the replies, but I think I'll just stick with the cooler. Quite frankly I have no clue about this stuff, have no clue what a deep cycle battery is either. I was never good with this stuff. I'm much better with the paperwork aspect of things. I have a lot to learn as it is about the business so I'll just try and keep the mechanical things simple.

By the way, the APU was not from the factory; I bought it and had it installed. I went with Carrier but it's a little louder than I anticipated.

Hey Doghouse, are you about ready to get out there? I'm pretty much all set myself. The trailer is ready and I have the truck (man what a difference driving your own truck, I worried about every single noise). I submitted my paperwork to the broker the other day so that should be approved and I'm hoping to get out of here in the next day or two.

Well thanks again everyone for the help.

By the way, I do leave the cooler plugged in to the outlet; that Ok? Never caused problems before. The APU has some monitoring thing that I am going to have the dealer set up where when the batteries get to a certain point the APU will kick on.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Board Regular

Here some good sound advice. Don't be pennywise and a dollar foolish, Get a fridge made for a truck, like Norcold, Truckfridge, or Panasonic. When I had a Freightshaker I bought a Norcold Fridge for it, cost me $750 but worth every penny. Better than any Thermo Electric Cooler. The truck I have now came with a Norcold fridge already from the factory. The truck is six years old and the fridge is still going strong. You can either spend the money now or spend it later. You get what you pay for, it is a little pricey, but worth it.