User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well I could buy one of those things but I still don't know how to hook it up, this is the problem.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Board Regular

It is easy to hook it up. The Norcold I bought was for a Freightliner. The fridge already comes with a harness with a OEM type connector. All you have to do depending on what kind of truck it is is find the accessory plug in the bunk area, 12V lighter plug, trace the harness and unplug the 12v harness from the main harness. Than plug in the fridge lead into the lead that goes into the main harness. It was a straight plug in on my Freightshaker. No splicing, cutting, etc. You can check out the fridges at www.norcold.com. The one I had for my Freighliner Century was the Norcold DC0040, it will fit in the same space as the Columbia. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

thanks boneebone but this leads me back to how do you keep this thing from not draining the batteries when truck is off? I didn't buy an APU to have the truck idling you know?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Does your APU charge your truck batteries when it's running?? most of them do. If thats the case then your batteries will charge up when the truck is running, and when the APU is running.
Its unlikely you will drain the batteries,...unless you are on a shut down for a few days and away from the truck.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Board Regular

The fridge doesn't run all the time, the compressor cycles on and off like a standard fridge. It will not drain your batteries unless your truck is sitting for a few days. The great thing about it is if you taking some time off there is a on/off switch inside the fridge you can use so it doesn't drain your batteries.

You can also buy a Low Voltage Battery Disconnect Device for trucks, that you hook up to your batteries. When your batteries drain down to a certain level it will sound a warning to let you know so you can start your truck and charge your batteries or it will start shutting power to certain sections of your truck so you have enough juice to start your truck up still.

Here's a link to what you need:

http://truckinginfo.com/news/news-de...?news_id=58726

This will solve your problem. I have one factory installed on my Volvo and I have never had dead batteries. It will shut off my fridge before my batteries go dead, but when I start my truck up it resets everything back up again. Good Luck
Old 07-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Boneebone and Doghouse. Yes the APU charges the batteries and like I said above I can even set it that it kicks on when the amerage I think it was hits a certain level. I have to be honest though, I clicked on those links for the fridges mentioned and I can't see myself paying that kind of money for a fridge. I can't see myself paying that kind of money for anything that isn't going to make me money. Don't get me wrong, I spent the $9,000 or so for the APU, but I plan on making that back on less fuel consumption and less wear on the motor.

But thanks again for the help I have a much better understanding of these things now.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 AM

I've known a few people that have used a bar fridge with success. The key is using a large enough inverter. The average bar fridge draws 1 amp current times 120volts equals approx 120watts. However an electric motor can draw up to ten times it's rated current draw at startup (1200 watts). So I would recommend at least 1500 watt inverter and preferably 2500 watts. You cannot plug in an inverter over 150 watts into a cigarette lighter socket, if you're lucky you'll blow a fuse, it not, start a fire. Best to wire direct to your batteries. I like to use welding cable.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Board Member

A fridge can be a money saver, if you don't like truckstop food, or fast food. But, working in conjunction with an operational kitchen is the best way to make maximum use of all the appliances.
After you drive for a while you may find out that you want a fridge, then you can make the decision, and invest in a good unit. (I remember all too well,..eating at truckstops, thats why I put a small kitchen in my truck)
Just remember that 115volt units aren't built to withstand the rigors of the road,...so make sure you get a good quality RV style unit. You will save $$$ in the short term "long run".
Old 07-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member

definitely won't be eating truck stop food. I was only out there 6 months as company driver and except for training I don't think I ate in a truck stop restaurant more than 1 time. I will get a Subway sandwich with the Pilot points but other than that I don't eat much anyway. A lot of salads and buy whole chickens etc.

Lost $100 while sleeping last night though, I didn't hear my phone and the police were calling to move the truck. Left a $100 ticket. I need to get on the road as there is no place to park around here. Love the weather down here but too crowded.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Where were you parked?
Usually it the code guys that make you move the truck,...if you have it at your house.