User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I live in a gated townhouse community so no parking here. I parked it at a DEAD plaza. They were cool about it and if I heard the phone this morning they wouldn't have written the ticket. It was the town cops. Anyway I just moved it to Lowes a little way up the road.

I was in Lowes looking at the fridge and I guess those things are only like 1.5 amps and he said you have to multiply that times 115 volts for the watts so if that is right than my 1000 watt inverter should be fine.

The APU has a monitoring system that when the voltage drops to 11.8 (factory setting) then the APU kicks on for 90 minutes.

Another problem I'v found is the plug under the table and the one where the tv goes doesn't work. The cigarette plugs that is. The one on the bunk control works so I don't know what's wrong. Really don't care just worried if it leads to something else. I can't keep running back and forth to Freightliner, it's getting to be a pain. As it is I spent all day at the reefer place cause the clock on the control unit in the cab for the APU wouldn't set and after several hours they realized that it was a bad unit and had to replace it. Long day though.

Any idea why the plugs aren't working? Maybe a fuse or something.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

First make sure its not live, use a 12 volt test light, hook the alligator clip to the outer part of the socket (if it won't clip on to the edge,just place the probe in first and then contact the side with the alligator clip), then CAREFULLY use the probe end to go inside the socket to the center contact. If you don't have steady hands, just wrap electrical tape on the probe end,..leaving just the point exposed, that way you don't blow a fuse that is not already blown, when you hit the side with the probe.
After that you will know if its dead or just worn out from somebody using it more than the rest.

Always test first, its the easiest thing to do,....unless you know right where the proper fuse is located.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Board Member

thanks Doghouse. Actually I'm going to go back tomorrow to get the trailer and the guy there said he would test it for me. He was going to test it today but he spent so long on the APU control unit that I had to get out of there. I tell you I need to hook up with a good handy person, I can handle the paperwork and money part, but I'm not one for this fixing stuff.

Anyway thanks for all your help and hope things are moving along for you as well.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 PM

MERRICK4

I've been using a small apartment sized reefer powered off a 1500w inverter for years. A month ago, it finally died (the reefer), so I bought another bigger one (4.5 cu') at home depot for $139.

While I have an APU also, I've never had a problem running the reefer overnight without chargeing. If I shutdown at the house, I plug into an outside source.

BTW, the old one I had was built in 1982 and was running r12! It didn't owe me anything. New one is considerably more efficient also.

Good luck with your cooling down adventures!