Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: well said blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1
I am also a BCO and everything he said is right.I have been there 7 months and at times I felt like retiring but who else does what they do?Jones Motor,CRST?Mercer?I also haerd horor stories about them and when I retire with Landstar I am going "solo" and I am giving myself a year.Just like Blanket said, try to have your freedom.Get your plates,trailer etc....because they will make money on you and even every paper work you turn in is a fee.
This is my situation, I have my own base plate but they do my IFTA(25 states and I took out dead states like FL for my renewal).I am leaving these damn Van rates and going SD.SD rates are a bit higher than Van.I rather "work harder" for a higher rate than to drive more for the same rate.We at BCO forum have compiled a list of BS agents and I look on the black list every week to protect myself.
THE QUESTION IS NOT IF YOU WANT TO JOIN LANDSTAR BUT WILL THEY LET YOU JOIN THEM.That is how hard it is.It all depends on your regional recruiter and how they are willing to chase after your 10yr background and work history.
Ummm Im kinda new to the O/OP thing and have my own authority....thinking about Landstart next year (after my plates expire and I quess I have to suspend my authority?) cuz it seems I can have freedom with them too....um what exatly do you mean then, will they let you join them>? I mean they seem really happy to have nyone qualified to join them on papper.....mmm you mean how well they work with me in their network I am quessin?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: well said blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
you mean how well they work with me in their network I am quessin?
No Pepe! What they meant is that LS is very picky on your driving record, and work history.
Which is because, for some reason, way too many people, are eager to get only 67%, or so, from what they make....and do all the job! :roll:
Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Hmmm so if your driving record isnt that good, they only offer you 67% to lease on ...am a little confused?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Hmmm so if your driving record isnt that good, they only offer you 67% to lease on ...am a little confused?
No! 67%, if it's as good as it gets, and they won't even sign you, if it's not!
Personally, i believe they ask too much, for what they offer! :wink:
Old 07-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Actually Solo, Landstar pays 67% of 98% if you don't have your own trailer. In reality, it comes out to just over 65% of the line haul. If you have your own trailer you make 75% of 98% if memory serves me. That comes out to just over 73%.

Pepe, if you want to do business with Landstar you don't have to lease on to them. As long as your authority and insurance is in order, you can broker loads through them. About the only difference in brokering loads through them with your authority and leasing to them, the percentage is a little different and you pay for your own insurance. But then, if you take the 2% that they take off the top and pay your insurance premium you will make more having your authority and broker loads through them. :wink:
Old 07-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Actually Solo, Landstar pays 67% of 98% if you don't have your own trailer.
Yeah, i know! Just forgot to mention! ops: But that's a scum either way, if you ask me! :x
Old 07-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
He can also crap 5th wheel grease if he needs to
DANG! Now aint THAT handy. :dung:
Old 07-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Personally I don't like how they have on the back of their trucks something about looking for "compliant" something or other. I'm sure they mean compliant as to the running legat etc, but they are a big organization and in my head it's like comply with the hoops we want you to run through. I don't do well in situations like that.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Landstar does have rules which you must follow to continue leasing to them. The big thing is having your logs legal. I was told not long ago that they now require you to log 3 mph less than the posted speed. Landstar is very rigid in how they want things to be done. On the other hand, no one will be calling you all the time asking why you are not running. You run as hard as you want. As long as you get your loads delivered on time they don't bother you much. You will need to have your equipment inspected at certain intervals or they will stop loading your truck. If you get too many log violations or tickets, they will cancel your contract. I think they take a big chunk of the revenue, but it costs a lot to remain compliant with the DOT. Insurance, subscribing to a random drug consortium, log checking, recruiting, orientation, etc., all cost money. As an owner operator who is leased to them or any other carrier, you are not usually aware of all the associated costs of running a trucking operation. It sounds like a lot of money, but the margins can be thinner than you might think.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Actually Solo, Landstar pays 67% of 98% if you don't have your own trailer. In reality, it comes out to just over 65% of the line haul. If you have your own trailer you make 75% of 98% if memory serves me. That comes out to just over 73%.

Pepe, if you want to do business with Landstar you don't have to lease on to them. As long as your authority and insurance is in order, you can broker loads through them. About the only difference in brokering loads through them with your authority and leasing to them, the percentage is a little different and you pay for your own insurance. But then, if you take the 2% that they take off the top and pay your insurance premium you will make more having your authority and broker loads through them. :wink:
Umm Yeah, but all the Landstar drivers run around saying Landstar brokers will only give me the junk loads (that their drivers turned down) if I am not leased to them, hmmmm propaganda I quess?