User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
Quanah is a thriving town isn't it. Did you stay at the "truck stop" that is a Taylor Convience store with truck parking?
Yep that was the place
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
Looks like you are finding your way around.
yeah, slowly but surely......the best part is that most of the time the scenery on the secondary roads are beautiful.

Quote:
When you say you can get fuel anywhere if you have to, does have to be a place that takes your fuel card or can you use a Comcheck? I think in my years of driving I only needed to get fuel out of network a couple times and used a Comcheck.
Davis uses T-Checks so you have to make sure the fuel stop takes them, or you can pay out of your pocket and get reimbursed.

Quote:
See you just have to use your imagination to survive WY. I have heard that alot of truckers don't use their CB much anymore. Is this true in WY? I found the best way to make it across WY is run with someone talking on the radio; The miles just flyby!!
I just can't figure out what all the people that would fill those stands would be looking at??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah it's pretty quite on the CB through there.

Quote:
Hey, don't hold us in suspense about your training ending early! We all want to know whats up? Thanks.
in due time my friend, due time..... :wink:
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM

Devildice we are close neighbors.I live in Kingsland about 60 miles northwest of Austin. I've been driving a flatbed for about a year.I am going to Orientation with Passmore on Monday.They are out of Altus,Ok. They get you home most weekends.Will see how it goes.Glad you are enjoying flatbeds. It is different sometimes. Have you had the pleasure of hauling coils yet? Wait until you haul a 43,000 lb. coil right in the middle of the trailer.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Day 22 of OTR Training 08/02/07
We got some NOT good news this afternoon while on the road to our customer. We originally had a pre-planned load that was supposed to go from Twin Falls, ID to Seattle, WA with a Friday pick up. Well I guess the customer canceled and the load is no more. The reason this isn’t too good of news is because 1) we want a load that will carry us through the weekend, and 2) usually (not always) the loads that my trainer gets out of Seattle will go to the East Coast, NICE miles. Oh well, guess that’s the nature of the business.

Saw an interesting and somewhat tragic thing today. As we were rolling through Sherman’s Pass on I-80 west in Wyoming, we were coming down a 5% grade where the speed limit is 55mph and there is an “S” curve, well right in the middle of this “S” curve there was a truck rolled over on the right side. The emergency vehicles and wrecker were on the scene. Not sure if anyone was injured or what actually happened, but my guess is that the driver was going too fast and rolled it. I like the way my school and trainer have taught me how to drive the grades….and that is to make sure you’re in the correct gear BEFORE going down, Jake on full, feet flat on the floor. I have followed these instructions on all the mountain ranges that I have driven so far and not one single time did I have to even touch the brakes. Like the old saying goes “you can go down them too slow a million times, but you can only go down it fast one time”

We arrived at our customer after their receiving hours (8am to 11am) and planned on just hanging out there until morning. Well to our surprise, they asked if we wanted to unload today or wait until the morning. I’ll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don’t count…..We called in our empty status and again to our surprise we have a load to pick up in Hyrum, UT tomorrow. It is only about a 150 miles from here and it’s going to Missoula. Not very good on the miles but at least we will be rolling.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Glad you are enjoying flatbeds. It is different sometimes. Have you had the pleasure of hauling coils yet? Wait until you haul a 43,000 lb. coil right in the middle of the trailer.
No coils yet :sad: and I hope we get one soon as I would prefer to haul it for the 1st time while I am still with my trainer.

Good luck with Passmore, please keep us posted on how it goes over there.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
No coils yet :sad: and I hope we get one soon as I would prefer to haul it for the 1st time while I am still with my trainer.
I hope that you get to put up the side kit with your trainer. I know the first time my husband had to put it up on his own he was on the phone with his trainer from Davis for a while. The side kits are a pain and take allot of time. My husband is glad that he does not have to put them up very often.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Glad you are enjoying flatbeds. It is different sometimes. Have you had the pleasure of hauling coils yet? Wait until you haul a 43,000 lb. coil right in the middle of the trailer.

Good luck with Passmore, please keep us posted on how it goes over there.
I don't think coils are all that hard. Yes, of course there is that pucker factor. All you do is place your coil racks, lumber and mats, once the coil is placed make sure you placed everything properly and throw your chains, edge protectors and binders and you are done. Takes much less time than most loads.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Quote:
I hope that you get to put up the side kit with your trainer. I know the first time my husband had to put it up on his own he was on the phone with his trainer from Davis for a while. The side kits are a pain and take allot of time. My husband is glad that he does not have to put them up very often.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Did Devildice say that it is a requirement for him to do to finish training in Missoula? I asked DD how pieces and time there were to putting a side kit up, but he couldn't tell me. My day may come soon that I will find out first hand. :roll:

BTW, check out my avatar of my old Pumpkin truck! Those were the "good old days"! :lol: :cry:
Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Goin Fer It's Wife
Did Devildice say that it is a requirement for him to do to finish training in Missoula? I asked DD how pieces and time there were to putting a side kit up, but he couldn't tell me. My day may come soon that I will find out first hand. :roll:

BTW, check out my avatar of my old Pumpkin truck! Those were the "good old days"! :lol: :cry:
I know that my husband put up the side kits once in the yard but when you have to do it alone four or five months later for a load it is a different thing.

Next time you talk to my husband ask him how long.....he hates doing the side kits. But he could tell you more about it. He is glad that he does not have to do it very often.

I noticed your avatar! Cool! What year truck was that?

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Board Regular

Quote:

Quote:
I know that my husband put up the side kits once in the yard but when you have to do it alone four or five months later for a load it is a different thing.

Next time you talk to my husband ask him how long.....he hates doing the side kits. But he could tell you more about it. He is glad that he does not have to do it very often.

I noticed your avatar! Cool! What year truck was that?

Goin Fer It's Wife
It is a early 90's International 9700 Cabover with 350hp Detroit Diesel. Those trucks had a flat roof(no midroof, but FLAT), no floor or cabinets in the sleeper! Can you believe I even teamed in such a vehicle?!? :sad: Yugh!!

I am saving up my questions for GFI the next time I call.

Later