User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamboner
Do they offer any training on the specialized load securement? I would think with the types of high value freight they haul that they have some kind of standards for the way things are loaded and secured. I mean... its not like you are gonna be hauling too many loads of shingles, coils, etc... with these guys. I think you have made an excellent choice getting on board with this outfit. I think the rates are really going to suprise ya! It will be a lil bit of a learning curve for ya, learning to deal with all the oversize restrictions, but no doubt it will pay off for you! You should keep a camera with you to take pics of some of these loads. Good Luck DD!!!
You do get training on the different types of trailers as you progress up the Levels. As for training on the loads, I am not sure. I am assuming (yeah dangerous to assume) that your securement experience is going come into play there as each load will be unique. When a driver is assigned a load that meets certain criteria (i.e. certain width, length, height, etc) you have to have what they refer to a "tailgate meeting" which is basically a phone call with a certain person (can't remember his title) and he goes down an extensive check list with the driver. He then make the determination on whether you are qualified enough to haul it. If there is any question about the drivers ability, training, experience, etc they will reassign the load. They have made it very clear on several occasions that their customers pay big $$ and in turn expects a high lever of service from the carrier and therefor they will never risk putting a driver under a load unless they (L.S.) feel very comfortable the driver can perform. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

Anyways, I've only been in orientation for 2 days, but I have a gut feeling I am going to like it here. Of course I have a positive attitude and am keeping an open mind to the new learning curve, like all the permit requirements and restrictions. As a Level 00 I can pull 10' wide legal loads right off the bat and then after 30 days I move up to Level 01 and I can not remember off the top of my head, (will refer to the chat later) but I think I can then pull up to 12' wide.

I do have a digital cam and when I start hauling OD loads I will try to get pics to post on here.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Board Regular

Have you found out any of the details of your first load yet? I looked on the website and saw what they pay their company drivers and that looks fantastic! I think I would enjoy working for a company with there kind of freight. It would always make things interesting, not to mention the great pay!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Something strange is going on here.....I posted a couple of updates yesterday and then got a message saying I was banned. Then today I was able to logg on but my thread was missing. I clicked on an old email notification email and was able to get here...........feels like the twilight zone.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Before I update, I forgot to mention a couple of things. First off, that O/O that left after day one (see previous posts for details) he is coming back next Monday. I had spoken to my terminal manager about him on the 2nd day, and apparently she was able to pull some strings and he's coming back and will be assigned at the same terminal as me. Secondly, these guys (Lone Star) treat prospective drivers pretty good. When coming to orientation, if you live outside a 300 mile radius, they rent you a car vise putting you on a bus. Inside 300 miles you ride the bus. But everyone is paid 0.35 a mile regardless and everyone is paid $100 a day for orientation. In addition, if the company guys are not assigned or have a truck by the end of orientation, they keep you at the hotel (or in some cases you can go home) and pay you $150 a day every day until they have a truck for you.......Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Anyways, today was the final day of orientation. We started off by learning how to attach and detach a RGN trailer. From there it was the driving tests. I was under the impression that this was for the company guys only but was wrong. So I jumped into one of their Pete's, hooked up to a step deck and off we went. It was a piece of cake. Well it was for all except one guy. Not sure exactly all the details, but he failed and they sent him home. They don't mess around here.

After the road tests and lunch, the rest of the guys had to go over some company stuff and I was taken to another part of the building where we went over my lease agreement, comdata card, etc, etc. Pulled my truck into the bay and they slapped all the decals and inspection stickers on it.

I came back to the hotel and called my dispatcher to inform him I was done and ready to roll. He said he had a load from Gunter, TX to Laredo lined up for Friday morning. It was paying $2.04 a mile to the truck. Not the best rate, but definitely beats ANY rate I got at my previous carrier. This was cool with me because it would allow me to stop by the house to off load a few things and pick up my dog and a couple other things. He told me he would call me back later with the load info and unfortunately when he did call back he stated the load got covered by another truck. This bummed me out but he said not to worry as he has several loads from Garland to Houston that pay better and will call me back in the morning with the details. So things might not be so bad after all.

So far so good!

Last edited by devildice; 10-03-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamboner View Post
Have you found out any of the details of your first load yet? I looked on the website and saw what they pay their company drivers and that looks fantastic! I think I would enjoy working for a company with there kind of freight. It would always make things interesting, not to mention the great pay!
Yes and no on the load. See the update I posted for details. yeah their pay package for company guys (O/O's look to be the norm, we'll see what theur rates are like later) seems real decent in my opinion. But let me tell ya', they are strick!!!! Just read what I posted about the one guy here.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Lightbulb

"It was paying $2.04 a mile to the truck"......is that with the FSC....?????

if not.... do you know what is is before you roll....????

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER View Post
"It was paying $2.04 a mile to the truck"......is that with the FSC....?????

if not.... do you know what is is before you roll....????
That was with the FSC. It was not the best paying load by any means.......but would have paid me more than ANY single load I ever pulled for my previous company.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

Have they got you a new load yet there DD?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Have they got you a new load yet there DD?
They are working on one right now.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I got under a load yesterday. I had several loads offered to me, but because I wanted to roll through the house so I could unload some excess gear off my trailer (all my old 5/16 chains and binders, coil racks, v-boards, ladder, etc), it limited me.

I wound up picking up 2 used backhoes from Richie Bros Auction in Fort Worth going to Laredo. This was interesting for me because once I got the release slips for the equipment, I had to bumped a dock and then drive the equipment up on my deck myself. I have never operated a backhoe but like they told us in orientation, just play around and familiarize yourself with it BEFORE attempting to load and that's what I did. Since this was my very first time doing this, it was a little nerve racking because I only had about 3 inches on either side of the tires to the edge of my deck. Surprising to myself, I got them both on nicely with the first attempt. My dispatcher was not impressed with the rate and attempted to get more but unfortunately was unsuccessful. At $2.00 a mile to the truck (that's after L.S. cut and my DH factored in) and getting to go through the house, I was fine with it.

I was given the option to deliver either Saturday or Monday. Either of those days I would be able to reload at our the Laredo yard, but Sunday there wouldn't be anyone there to load my trailer. Under normal circumstances I would deliver on Saturday, but because I wasn't going to get to San Antonio until about 10:30-11:00pm, I decided to go with a Monday delivery.

So I am now at the house where I'll unload all that excess gear, relax a little and reset my log. Then come early Monday morning I'll load up my truck with my trucking buddy (that's my dog) and head south. I meant to take some pics of my load but forgot. I'll try to do it this weekend and post them on here if anyone is interested.