User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 04:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks GMAN as always I appreciate it. You would think that these curtain sets could be bought ready made, or maybe they can but it's cheaper to have someone make them. I need the tracking as well though too.

By the way GMAN, I wanted to ask you something. I know I've read here that you fuel up with the Amex 5% cash back card and I plan on doing that as well but I've heard that there are places that charge the same for cash or credit. Are those all smaller places? Or do some of the chains do that as well? It would sure be nice to get cash price and the 5% back too.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4

By the way, anyone know where I can get the privacy curtains or whatever they're called, for a Freigtliner? Freightliner wanted $500 but that was a bit ridiculous.
Just buy one of those cheap curtains from IOWA80.

http://www.iowa80.com/iowa80/shop?me...ry&catid=27187

I then bought 5 hooks with a peal off sticky back. I put one on either side of the doors and one in the middle in front. I bought a tarp grommet kit and punched the holes in the curtain then installed the grommets. It works perfect.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Thanks GMAN as always I appreciate it. You would think that these curtain sets could be bought ready made, or maybe they can but it's cheaper to have someone make them. I need the tracking as well though too.

By the way GMAN, I wanted to ask you something. I know I've read here that you fuel up with the Amex 5% cash back card and I plan on doing that as well but I've heard that there are places that charge the same for cash or credit. Are those all smaller places? Or do some of the chains do that as well? It would sure be nice to get cash price and the 5% back too.

Thanks
You can buy the tracking at most truck dealers if you want something designed specifically for your truck. I don't always use my Amex card. Most of the chains charge extra for using a credit or debit card. Many of the independents don't charge extra for using a credit or debit card. You could still come out using your Amex card, even though you may pay a higher price for using it. I also have a Truckers Advantage Card (Fleet One) and TCH Fuel Card. Most fuel cards charge a fee for using them. The Truckers Advantage doesn't. It is through OOIDA. You can also get discounts at some fuel stops, mostly independents. It is usually only about $0.02/gallon, but it all adds up. I met a fleet owner a while back who told me that he took his family on a trip around the world with his points from using his American Express Card. There are other cards credit cards which now offer discounts on fuel purchases. You need to be careful. Some only offer a discount on gas purchases, not diesel. One other thing. Not all Amex cards offer the 5% discount on fuel. Some only give points back. When I first got an Amex card your options were limited. They had a green card and gold card. Now they must have a dozen or more different cards.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I use the Amex for 5% back. I think I wrote that in a different post. I forget which one. You probably got us mixed up. :P
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I know the new Amex Simple or something or other says for Automobiles only but I read in another forum that a guy is getting it for Diesel. We'll see, I have a couple of Amex cards with 5% back as well as a Visa with 3%.

Those points do add up. My sister-in-law just left for Brazil to study for a year (though I pleaded with her right up to the airplane, she wouldn't take me with her ) and I got her a laptop which ended up only costing me $30 after cashing in my points for Circuit City gift cards. Not to mention I got more gift cards and got myself a good all in one printer for the truck.

Oh thanks for the advice Steve on the curtains. I think I found a guy that will make them for me. All this getting ready is starting to wear me out. Like Doghouse said in another post, I can't wait til I get started so I can get a ten hour break.

Oh one more thing, got the APU done today. Real nice unit (Comfort Pro). I was a little reluctant to get it but I think I made a good decision.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I received a pre-approved card a few months ago for 6% cash back, but I don't remember which one. I think it was a Visa. I didn't keep it. I think I have enough cards. :?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Those pre-appovals are like gold to me GMAN. If you ever get a bunch of free time read what's here http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/632935/. Honestly I just bought the trailer and reefer unit (both new) plus an APU all pretty much on credit cards for 0%.

I'm just telling you this cause I know from reading here that you have good credit and that in itself is a major asset, so anyone else reading this, this can be a risky move (not saying that others don't have good credit too). I have the funds to buy the equipment but might as well keep those funds in the bank and finance the equipment with other people's money. I would never ever get into this on credit cards with no money to back it up. That's one risk I wouldn't take.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah Merrick,...I'm flat out,... wiped out!!!!
I feel like I could sleep for days,...
go here, go there, look throught this, pee in that, fax this, sign that, Oh,...you forgot to do this,...well you will have to do that first!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: (and I can't find an exploding head smily face when I need one!!)
Looks like all I have left is registering my trailer, and waiting for my NM permit to come in, slap on my decals and turn the key,...whew!!!!!
Sure hope I turn a profit on this project :lol: :lol:
Old 09-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Getting ready to do my authority. Wow these insurance rates are BIG. I know they are all relative to doing business but Wow. I see some places on web that say they do authority for say 399 and they do your insurance for 500 down payment. Anyone used one of those places? If so, what kind or rates and level of service are you getting? Some of the quotes I have been getting want @2000 for just a down payment. I have a good starting fund saved up but between purchasing a trailer (may require a down payment) paying BIG insurance down payment and still maintaining household and other things it is gonna really rip through it. Any advice?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

I paid $2,300.00 down and $790.00 per month for insurance. As for my authority, I asked G-man and a few others some questions and then bumbled my way through it. So far so good, and if I can do it myself,...anyone can, I was totally clueless (and still am on some things)