LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: new authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakinraymond
If you join OOIDA, they will file your BOC-3 for free, they are a great help on information. If you have your insurance and BOC-3 filing done at the 20 days your authority will be active but you cannot operate until you receive your certificate. OOIDA can obtain a copy for $20.00, otherwise it will be about a 2 or 3 week wait for your certificate to be mailed to you. .
I have people calling me left and right trying to sell me their services. Apparently from what I gathered today, the guy had a severe Georgia accent and I couldn't understand much of what he was saying, they will all stop calling me once I file the BOC-3. I'm not even sure what that is at this point something to do with designating agents. But thanks for the advice, I was going to join OOIDA anyway
Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Board Regular

From website:
Quote:
How can I find out if my operating authority (active MC number) has been issued? Can I get a faxed copy?

To check whether your operating authority has been issued, you should go to our Internet site at http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov . If you do not have access to the Internet, please call 202-385-2423 or call our status line at 202-366-9805 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. eastern standard time. We will only fax your operating authority if 10 or more working days have passed since the service date and you have not yet received the operating authority.
I may be wrong, but I doubt OOIDA can do anything that anybody else can't do regarding this.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

I just meant the Boc-3 through OOIDA as it's free.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Pepe, when you start out, you don't have a safety rating. If you are inspected, you are given a rating based upon whether you passed the inspection or not. If you passes, you will likely be given a good safety rating. If not, you could be given a poor safety rating. The more good inspections you get the better. Accidents and moving violations can also impact your rating. You can check your rating by going on the Federal website. If you have a few failed inspections, you are likely to start getting pulled in to be inspected. That is why you see so many pulled in from certain carriers. It is their safety rating.

Hmmm then its best if I go to the scales myself that are close (cajone) after I know everything is in order, and request an inspection?

I don't encourage them to inspect my truck, but I suppose you could do that if you wish. These inspectors can always find something wrong if the want. I never volunteer to have my truck inspected. If you have the time and know your truck will pass inspection, you could have them inspect your truck if you want to improve your safety rating. I just keep everything in order and my truck fairly clean and they usually don't bother me. I would not worry about your safety rating. No one really seems to care whether you don't have a rating. They only care if it is bad.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Merrick is right,
The first business day after I applied for my MC# I was bombarded by 5 companies wanting to do everything from filing my paperwork, to being my own dispatch service for $500.00 a month.
The cure all for this I have found is this simple quote,

"I'll check with OOIDA and see what they don't do,...and I'll call you back"

These are high pressure sales people, put the fire out quick, and don't burn your bridges.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Pepe, when you start out, you don't have a safety rating. If you are inspected, you are given a rating based upon whether you passed the inspection or not. If you passes, you will likely be given a good safety rating. If not, you could be given a poor safety rating. The more good inspections you get the better. Accidents and moving violations can also impact your rating. You can check your rating by going on the Federal website. If you have a few failed inspections, you are likely to start getting pulled in to be inspected. That is why you see so many pulled in from certain carriers. It is their safety rating.

Hmmm then its best if I go to the scales myself that are close (cajone) after I know everything is in order, and request an inspection?

I am not sure that I would ask for an inspection at a scale. They can always find something wrong if they are really bored. I got a call from a major carrier who is brokering some of their overage and he said that he called me based upon my safety rating. I received another call later in the day from another individual from the same company asking me if I had received their packet and basically wanting to know if I would be sending it back. He started out with a fairly decent rate. I just thought I would pass that along. Some brokers and shipper's do check your safety rating before they call you. Not having a safety rating is probably better than having a poor rating. If you have a good rating, then all the better.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:50 AM

Hay Pepe, compadre, make sure you fix the trailer hole from the tractors or you might flunk the inspection and get the trailer impounded!!!Couldn't resist!
Take Care Bill
Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Well back to getting the step by step thing going. I bought the truck this week, got the trailer coming next week, even got a APU. Insurance is taken care of too. I'll update the original post tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be out within two weeks. Well as I just got the insurance sent in to FMCSA I guess it depends on when the issue my certificate.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Well this whole thing is pretty much wrapped up. I updated the original post. I hope this helps someone. For some reason the links don't work but overall this was pretty easy.

I should be off in a couple of days. I'm just waiting for the reefer unit to be installed as I couldn't find a decent reefer of year 2002 or newer in South Florida so I bought new.

I don't plan on doing a diary or anything but I think I will be posting some numbers. I keep reading that O/O don't make more than a company driver, well we'll see. I have a lot of money invested in this whole thing (though so far very little out of my own pocket); I have a lot of freight lined up and I believe I can make it and make it with a profit. But we shall see.

By the way, anyone know where I can get the privacy curtains or whatever they're called, for a Freigtliner? Freightliner wanted $500 but that was a bit ridiculous.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad things are working out for you merrick. I have heard a couple of people advertising on the CB about making curtains for trucks. You can probably go to any upholstery shop and they could make them for you.