User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
the agents make more when they broker it out, I just don't know how much more.
There are a couple of posts on this board by me about some of my Landstar experiences.

One post shows what we got paid as an outside carrier and what the Landstar BCO got for the same load on the same day. It was alot more.....so yeah the agent makes ALOT more by brokering out.

The other posts relates to a conversation I had with a Landstar agent. He told me exactly, in dollars how much extra they make by brokering to carriers. It is alot. It goes something like this IIRC....If the load is supposed to pay $750 to the truck and $150 to the agent on the Landstar board, and the agent can get a carrier to move for $500, he gets 50% of that extra $250....or an additional $125. So yeah, when freight is slow, they can so well. Something like that.

My memory may be off a liitle. Do a search.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
the agents make more when they broker it out, I just don't know how much more.
There are a couple of posts on this board by me about some of my Landstar experiences.

One post shows what we got paid as an outside carrier and what the Landstar BCO got for the same load on the same day. It was alot more.....so yeah the agent makes ALOT more by brokering out.

The other posts relates to a conversation I had with a Landstar agent. He told me exactly, in dollars how much extra they make by brokering to carriers. It is alot. It goes something like this IIRC....If the load is supposed to pay $750 to the truck and $150 to the agent on the Landstar board, and the agent can get a carrier to move for $500, he gets 50% of that extra $250....or an additional $125. So yeah, when freight is slow, they can so well. Something like that.

My memory may be off a liitle. Do a search.
Man, that just sounds so messed up. So you take the good paying freight, cut it, and broker it out to Pepe and his henchman. The cheap stuff you just put up on the board for all the BCO's to feast upon. I don't think so. Doesn't sound like something I want to be a part of. Thanks Rank, you guys are starting make sense of everything. One last piece missing, I'd kind of like to get confirmation of what that one BCO told me that they started pushing the brokering of freight last spring. I mean, if it's a new day at Landstar, that word needs to get around.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey cam let's try this. There is a SD load from the Port of Newark to Scarborough, ON. What's it paying on the Landstar board? I'll call the broker and ask what he'll pay me & we'll compare notes.

(843)8849-6700 ext 21 ask for Jim or just check your LS board.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Hey cam let's try this. There is a SD load from the Port of Newark to Scarborough, ON. What's it paying on the Landstar board? I'll call the broker and ask what he'll pay me & we'll compare notes.

(843)8849-6700 ext 21 ask for Jim or just check your LS board.
Unlike most of the guys on this board, I'm not just in it for the commercial, I actually need the money. The load was gone by the time we got the tires off. If you want to do this some more just PM me your cell phone and I'll tell you what I'm seeing.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Yep. Sure thing. Just to close the loop on this...it paid $1680 all in with a stop in Oliphant, PA.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm glad these boards are anonymous.

Spoke to a BCO last night. He's been running the system for three years, no particular relationships with any agents. Says it was working out great, until now. He's about ready to leave. He's convinced the change is due to brokered freight. I was doing great last year. It seems to line up. The problems many BCOs are having may be due to corporate office decisons to take more off the freight (can't legally do it with BCOs) and perhaps even turn more toward a brokerage company (hard to have a trucking company when guys start quitting en masse).

Still speculation, but it sounds like the most plausible explanation so far. Myself, just started running tires this week. It's my last gasp before heading for orientation elsewhere.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Board Regular
Default round trip home

I booked a load from the world congress center atlanta to Indiana.This was a show which paid about 8 hrs in detention at $35/hr.
I got to indiana and the same agent offered me a load from Chicago with about 4 stops and ending in NC, paying about 2.10/mile gross.Not bad for a 936 mile run.When I got to NC I deadheaded home.My whole trip, loaded plus deadhead miles was 1950miles and I earned $2400.The damn chicago and west VA/Oh tolls on 80,290,90 and 77 kicked my ass.I tried to give them an IOU on 77 but nada.They had me write a comcheck towards my fuel card.The damn credit card machine was also turned off.Chicago is a mess, I wonder why rates going there is low and hard to get.I had rather go to Indiana or OH than a mess like Chicago or detroit.This week was my first time going to Chicago.Thank you mounatin flyer about your post on the tolls, I tried to avoid it with 280 and some other hwy but the tolls caught up to me whichever route I took.Cam,do these damn agents pay for the damn tolls when you book them?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: round trip home

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1
I booked a load from the world congress center atlanta to Indiana.This was a show which paid about 8 hrs in detention at $35/hr.
I got to indiana and the same agent offered me a load from Chicago with about 4 stops and ending in NC, paying about 2.10/mile gross.Not bad for a 936 mile run.When I got to NC I deadheaded home.My whole trip, loaded plus deadhead miles was 1950miles and I earned $2400.The damn chicago and west VA/Oh tolls on 80,290,90 and 77 kicked my ass.I tried to give them an IOU on 77 but nada.They had me write a comcheck towards my fuel card.The damn credit card machine was also turned off.Chicago is a mess, I wonder why rates going there is low and hard to get.I had rather go to Indiana or OH than a mess like Chicago or detroit.This week was my first time going to Chicago.Thank you mounatin flyer about your post on the tolls, I tried to avoid it with 280 and some other hwy but the tolls caught up to me whichever route I took.Cam,do these damn agents pay for the damn tolls when you book them?
What's interesting to me is that you don't find much freight going into Chicago, either. I could deadhead to the house from Chicago, I thought there would be a lot of freight going there. You pay the tolls. You've got to have it in your head what kind of tolls lie ahead when you accept the load and the rate. When you say 2.10 gross is 'all in' with the fuel or is fuel extra?
Old 06-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Board Regular
Default fuel

Fuel wasn't in it I did the adding.It was 1775 gross and 175 fuel and 50 for each stop and about 100 for driver assist although I never unloaded.I also read your post last night on the forum and those guys don't seem to really face what you and I go through all because most loads are from agents they deal with.Trust me call that agent I pmed you about and his name is Howard.Another female BCO said 90% of her loads are from that agent.You just have to prove yourself to him.I may be limited because I only have 26 states on my plates.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It sounds like Landstar is going through some changes. How are the tire loads going for you, Cam?