User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A warning to potential truck buyers.

I don't know if this is allowed on here or not and I'm sure a moderator will let me know if not. This is a little long, but read it, it may save you alot of hassle and money!!

I just wanted to let ya'll know of the situation I went thru with a truck dealer in Covington, TN (a very large dealer, probably the only one here in town so you may have seen his ads)..Not sure if I can use the company's name or not..If I can let me know and I will.

I was in the market for a used Freightliner Century class tractor. I looked online and found a 2000 Century for $20,000 with 413K on the truck. had what I wanted (470 detroit, 10spd,although it turns out it was not a 470 but a 360/430) Since the mileage seemed too low I asked the dealer if it matched the ECM miles. He told me it did and it was used as a "city truck" .Not a bad deal it didn't sound like. I flew out to TN to pick up the truck. First sign of trouble, no sliding 5th wheel like the dealer told me. No problem they installed a sliding 5th wheel at no charge, and fixed the A/C. At this point all was well. Other than the truck being an absolute disater inside (I spent ALOT of my time cleaning the truck), it was a good strong running truck. I drove to Texarkana (was on the way to Dallas to lease the truck on), stopped at the Freightliner dealer and had them check things out. ECM miles were 853,000..All numbers matched the original build sheet, no parts were changed out. At this point I started contacting the dealer. The dealer had an attitude about it, swore he didn't know (why did he tell me the ECM miles matched??)..I had a driver sitting waiting for the truck the whole time. We worked out a deal where I could swap the truck out for a 2001 Columbia which he had 10 of coming. I would have to pay $2000 MORE now for the truck. I needed a truck, so I agreed. The dealer said they should be in the following Weds. I decided to lease the truck on, run with it and wait 1 week on the Columbia's to come in. The truck broke down and required a tow, for a bad battery connection to the ECM. $425 for tow $120 for the repair, this was before it was even leased on! Got the truck leased on, 2nd load truck blew a radiator hose pulling Mont Eagle..Service call at 2AM, $173 (got off easy!). Time to swap the truck out. The story kept changing..Oh they won't be here until Friday, the drivers this the driver is that. We decide that I can trade the truck out for a '01 Volvo on his lot (+$2000), with a ISX 460. I'm not a Cummins fan but I said ok. Get out to the lot, look at the Volvo (he said it had 625K or so on it), the dash didn't work. No mileage reading, no oil psi gauge, tach, voltage guage..Nothing. So now he expects me to take a truck needing $1000+ in repairs to the dash. There were other Volvos on the lot from the same fleet, but he was unwilling to trade them out for the $2000. I looked and looked on the lot, which basically amounts to a truck junkyard when you start looking at the trucks. Found a '01 Century with 750K that was really clean. Wouldn't crank. They got it running, but the truck needed a starter. It had crappy tires on it, and a fixed 5th wheel. He would trade for $1000 more. It had a ISX in it as well. As I was looking around a fellow traded in a 2001 Century with the specs that I wanted. Detroit, 10spd, 3.70 rears. I offered to trade the truck to him straight up, as is. Basically amounting to a $2500 profit for him without even touching the truck based on how much he gave on trade for it. No deal. His attitude was it didn't matter how long the truck sat there, he could make more off it. Nevermind satisfying a customer who is no ready to involve his attorney. Which he stated that he could have 8 attorneys on his side to defend him, so bring my lawyer. This is odometer fraud. He says they are exempt. I will find out more from my attorney and will be involving a attorney from TN as well to make sure of the laws and find a loop hole.

What did I end up doing? Well at this point, I had estimated my total losses as follows: $2500 in revenue, $500 in extra plane fares, $2000 in extra for the truck, $725 in repairs, $150 in extra hotel stays. At this point my total is close to $6000 in damages. I took the '01 Century off him that had the Detroit, giving the extra $2000 for it. I could no longer stand to lose money, I had to do something. Heres the best part. The '01 Century runs AWFUL. It can barely pull itself up to 65MPH. It is most likely fuel filters, they ran the tanks next to dry. The guy who traded it in had just driven in it from Chicago so it can't be too bad. I have made the decision to completly wash my hands of these people, keep the '01 and just fix it. I can't afford to be down becuase of these people anymore, niether can my driver. The dealer is not going to help with any of these costs (including the $725 in repairs done to the truck sitting on their lot now, or the $500 in extra travel expenses I incurred due to their negligence). This is the shortened version of this story..There are some bad details left out.

Buyers be ware, a quick check around the locals from Covington, TN will tell you that this family has a bad reputation around town. And I for one certainley will never purchase ANYTHING from these people again.

Jason
Old 04-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Board Member

This happened to me in Michigan at one of the dealers in Grand Rapids,found out the truck had 100,000 more mile on the ECM,settled out of court for $12,500.From now on won't buy a truck without them running the ECM,and no they are not exempt that only applies if they show that the odometer was changed and they inform you of that.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Ooooooooooh....Can I name that dealer???

Don Baskin & Sons!!

I can do this..as I have never purchased at truck from them...simply talking with them on the phone convincd me to stay away.

Just so you know JP...Porter Truck Sales..one lot in the Dallas area..south on 45...and one lot in Houston...on Wallisville RD. They sell decent trucks for the money...stand behind what they sell...and the guy's I know, who have bought trucks from them..are happy and working.

I bought my 2001 International down in Harlingen (Valley Truck Center) for $27,500. Everything about the truck matched up with what was posted on truckpaper.com, everything the sales-folks told me matched up with what was eent to me via e-mail & snail mail..and when I drove down to test drive the truck...was surprised at the true condition..no blemishes, clean and solid truck. Oil analysis done by them, matched with the analysis I had done...by bringing a sample home with me, taken after the test drive. 3 weeks on the road..and no problems. Getting 6.8 mpg out of a 450 Cat C-15.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Board Regular

Somethng about the look/feel of the ads of the dealer in question gave me the same impression, even before your story. Too bad since the inventory is large and the place is less than 2 hours from me.

That reinforces my intention to have any tractor inspected by a shop of my choice before purchase. Dealer balks, no deal.

Hope you have good luck from here on out!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry that you had a problem with that dealer. I have heard negative things about them, as well. Since you traded trucks with him, I am not sure that you have much of a leg to stand on as far as recovering any damages. You may want to check with an attorney, if that is what you want to do. The speedometer may have been changed at some point and whomever changed it out failed to match the ECM. The State of Tennessee would probably be interested in finding out more about this character. They have put a number of people in prison for tampering with speedometers. Of course, it would need to be proven that he had knowledge of the change or was involved in tampering with the mileage. It is usually best to check a truck out BEFORE buying. It is much less expensive and far less of a hassle before the sale is finalized. At the least, this dealer is unethical. Most legitimate dealers won't mind your checking out their trucks or having a mechanic take a look. You are probably right about the fuel filters on the current truck. At least that is the least expensive thing to change. You may also want to change the air filter and do a good pm on it. If you want to get a good picture have a oil analysis and dyno performed. The costs are minimal and will give you a good picture of the general condition of your truck.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Rookie

Yeah, post his name and the rest of the story. Bad word of mouth will cost him way more then he would have, had he just tried to make things right with you and make you at least somewhat happy. Also, contact the TN attorney generals office. They love hearing odometer stories...
Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

You might want to contact the BBB as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Rookie

Thank you all for the responses. I plan on contacting the State Attorney's office here in TN on Monday. I could also contact BBB. Word of mouth is definitley more damaging than anything..I would like to post this story on other places to help people avoid these jokers. Any other places to post this? Even if there is no recourse legally, at least the more people that get warned...

There is some good news. The 2001 Century that I got as far as the interior turned out to be a diamond in the rough. I spent a few hours cleaning the truck today and it turned out great. Now just to get the engine issue cleared up and it could be running as soon as Tuesday.

This is my 4th truck I have purchased, and the one I have learned the most from. I had great dealings on the other 3.

Any more info anyone can give or case studies, thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: A warning to potential truck buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp207
Nevermind satisfying a customer who is no ready to involve his attorney. Which he stated that he could have 8 attorneys on his side to defend him, so bring my lawyer. This is odometer fraud. He says they are exempt. I will find out more from my attorney and will be involving a attorney from TN as well to make sure of the laws and find a loop hole.
Jason
JP...I can tell you that, right now, reading the title from WA state for my 96 frtlnr, it say's "Exempt" in the "Odometer Disclosure" section of the title..in BOLD lettering. Say's the same in my Texas paperwork for the 01 I just bought.

This might well be a Class 7 & 8 distinction on vehicle sales.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The dealer may have done you a service by trading trucks with you. 8)