User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Looks like everyone they interviewed was fleased to a company. The man with authority, has authority. He controls his own destiny, not some 23 year old dispatcher. Get your truck, your authority, your customers and a few good brokers.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Things seem to be better the last 3-4 weeks in the tanker business,haven't sat yet but have had a few extra deadhead miles.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Things have picked up somewhat. I don't have any problems getting outbound freight, but it can be challenging to get something coming back to where I need to be at a rate which I will accept. I have one company which whom I do business that should run strong for at least another month. I could have had one of their loads tomorrow had I been able to get back home. They postponed the pickup until Monday so that I can get back. I have another shipper which whom I have been doing business who is just getting cranked up. I could likely do much more outbound business if I had the drivers. It was a much different story a few months ago. I am in Florida right now and will get a reload in the morning. I have received a number of calls about loads. None were great, but some were not too bad for Florida. I had several brokers call today with loads which paid in the $1.50/mile range. Most were around $1.30 or so. Some areas of the country are better than others. For the most part, if you want to find a load, you can. The problem is that there are so many carriers and owner operators who are willing to settle for fuel money, rates are still way too low. There are good rates available, but you may need to work harder to find them. If you run your own authority, you will be much better off having at least some of your own shippers. All you need is one that will pay as agreed. I find some shippers would prefer dealing with a smaller carrier. They will probably get better service.

There is little question that the entire economy is sluggish right now. Things are improving and hopefully will continue to do so during the coming months. Things are much better than a few short months ago.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

"In a market like this, I have to stay a step ahead of the game," said Wiley, 38, from Winfield, Louisiana. "I'm hauling ass and dropping as many loads as I can to make a living."

Hm, thats where the problem lies, people are in this buisiness just to make a living :roll: , and thats really sad :cry: ...If you have been O/O and worked well last year you should be able to sit it out and not be forced to fork for cheap.....I have new truck with 2000 in expenses at the end of the month on the truck only and i can sit my ass till December if need to be but i aint gonna be FORCED into doing anything. Those that are forced dont need to cry and blame anyone but themselves..

California freeze had alot to do with this situation i think and this particular article has taken into concideration lives of a couple who run Expedited freight which is well known to have Loooong wait times. Slowdown aint got nothing to do with them waiting as i have known people to wait 3-4 days running expedited freight for Fedex 2-3 years ago..

Article is somewhat true but it doesnt paint the best picture of the situation, why arent they talking about how much shippers acctualy pay for their freight to be hauled and whats the brokers cut and whats the truckers????

There is no real slowdown, fake one, yes !
Old 04-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Senior Board Member

freight has just started picking up in my area. ( last 3 weeks) before that... real slow. everyone has there reasons on why it's slow & when it will pick up. i do beleive the home sales has a lot to do with it. if people are buying homes & building new ones & at record numbers as have been in past years, then freight generally moves. lumber in demand plus other materials for the new construction & furnishing of a new or existing home. plus the auto industry has a lot to do with steel hauling, as they use quite a bit.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, I'd say it's about as close to truth, as it gets! :sad:
And anybody, who don't see that, are in, for a rude awakening.
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean, that some people, couldn't make some money. But the whole picture, doesn't look bright!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Well, I'd say it's about as close to truth, as it gets! :sad:
And anybody, who don't see that, are in, for a rude awakening.
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean, that some people, couldn't make some money. But the whole picture, doesn't look bright!
The whole picture doent look bright at all!!! Its almost May and things just havent JUMPED off. Up until last year, spring time (starting in early to mid March) was the time to go trucking. The housing market is definitely a factor as is the auto market. I think this wacky weather has also caused some issues, I'm no farmer. Seems like more nursery and Florida produce would have been moving by now. I like Florida produce and nursery, charge arm and a leg to go in, get great rates coming out. Just not seeing it yet.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Actually, from what I can tell, volumes out of FL and the NW have been pretty decent. However, the rates aren't reflecting that. There hasn't been been any shortage of offers for me, just a shortage of offers worth accepting. There are way too many trucks out there willing to haul for garbage.