User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Detroit Series 60 Fuel leaking/present in Oil

I have a 1996 Detroit Deisel Series 60 engine. Its the 11.1 liter. The engine dipstick is spotty and appeared to have something other than oil in it. Now, we've had a problem with this engine for sometime with this problem. Going back about a year ago, we changed the fuel injectors thinking that was the problem. Well.. after that, the engine still appeared to "make its own oil". We never had to add any oil to it and we knew that it was the same way before we ever did the fuel injectors. Now, I'm thinking either the job wasn't done correctly or there is another reason for it. To counteract the fact that fuel is in the oil, we've been doing oil changes every 3000 thousand miles instead of 12000. That works a little, but not really a fix. Two weeks ago, the bus was out on tour and it kept overheating. So, sure as heck, we changed the oil and it wasn't over heating anymore. Im sure after a good while, it will start to over heat again until we either change the oil out again, or fix the problem. Any help in toubleshooting what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Complete overhaul
Old 04-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Are you sure it is fuel in the oil? Could it be water? If it were fuel in the water I would think it was the injector sleeves, especially since you recently had them changed. It can be easy to crack or damage an injector sleeve when you work on the injectors.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Rookie

I'm definitely sure that it is fuel in Oil because of two reasons; One, it was a problem that we difinitively found by an oil sample sent to lab and results showed fuel in oil. And two; The same indicators that showed when we had that test, are also evident now. In addition, something is definitely thining out the oil. If it were coolant, would I eventually have to add more coolant to the radiator. In this case, not so. However, fuel smells on dipstick and oil seems to over fill itself. Then, like I previously stated, after a about three thousand miles, I need to bring it in for oil change or engine light/ over heating problems will leave coach on the side of the road.

As for the injectors sleeves, I'm not sure what they are doing. I'm at a loss really. Based on what I said, do you still believe that the sleeves could be a problem? I hope that when I had the injectors done, that it was done right. The only problem is that I used a renowned independent desiel mechanic in our area and chose not to use a certified detroit deisel shop. Perhaps that was a mistake.

As for the complete overhall... Do you really think that is the most logical way of dealing with this. Other then this engines described problem, it runs strong and is proven dependable! Side questions; If I did overhaul it, how much does that usually run and what does it intail?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

From your post, I don't think an overhaul is needed. It is probably something simple. My experience with diesel engines is that even if it is under warranty, some garages or dealers will attempt to avoid taking care of any problems. I would take it back to the guy who originally worked on it, if it started about the same time. I think it would be much less expensive to have it repaired rather than changing the oil every 3,000 miles. I don't know what you pay for an oil change, but I usually pay close to $200. If you want to over haul your engine, I would count on somewhere between $8,500 to $15,000. I doubt if it will take the higher figure, since it is a Detroit. Usually, if it is the sleeves, you will either have water in the fuel or fuel in the water. I seem to remember something about fuel in the oil, but can't recall exactly what it is right now. I would take it to be checked by an authorized Detroit dealer. They should be able to diagnose it fairly quickly.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Rookie

Thanks, that's what I think I'm going to do. If you or anyone else could think of anything else it may be, I'd appreciate knowing what you think. I kinda think I don't need to overhaul the engine right now either. If it did come down to that and knowing the costs related, I think it'd be better to utilize the services of a company like, www.arsco.com, who specialize in engine tradeouts. They redo thousands of engines and my detroit series 60 11.1 liter can be replaced for only 7000.00 dollars, competely redone. Well.. appreciate all the help I can get guys. Keep it coming!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I called a local Covington-Diesel distributor and was told by their service department that is most likely an injector leaking that is causing the fuel to be in the oil. I may be either a cracked injector or perhaps a tip has come off of one. At least this will get you in the ballpark. I would either take it back to the guy who originally did the work or an authorized Detroit dealer to check it for you. If it is only an injector it should not cost that much to repair. I think I paid about $800 or so for the last injector I had installed. The part may still be under warranty. I believe that I was told that injectors had a 150,000 mile warranty.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Rookie

Sweet man.. thanks for all your help. Im going to question that with the guy who done the Fuel injectors. In addition, I think Im going to also take it to the Detroit people to have them over look everything and give me a detailed report why this is happening. Thanks again man!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

$8500 is what I was once quoted when I owned a series 60. It has been a few years ago. While I had the Detroit distributor on the phone, I asked him how much it costs to overhaul a series 60. He told me much of what I expected. They had several different levels of rebuild. The most common costs about $12,000 with parts and labor. Some could cost more. Some less. I would say the $12,000 figure would be close in today's market. It has gotten about as expensive as building a CAT. :shock: