User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have a friend who payed 18,000 just recently in Jacksonville,FL for a complete overhaul with 250K miles warranty, he chose the best option they had. Dealer had laughed at him when he said that these mom and pop shops are charging 8500 ( which BTW i got quoted as well ) and told him that PARTS ONLY COST THAT MUCH and that ALOT of shops put aftermarket parts while doing a overhaul.....

Mike, 18,000 id give in a heart beat if i know the original manufacturer has done the job on my truck just as they do thousands of those each year, mom and pop will charge you less and they are the ones that people have problems with when comming back to fix whatever work they had done. I treat my truck with respect as any O/Op should and will give him the best possible care available, you wouldnt take the member of your family to a secondary hospital for a operation, you'll take them to the best one,right, regardless of a cost !

My 02
Old 04-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not have a problem with a small shop repairing my engine with one exception. If you have a problem on the road, you may not be able to get the warranty covered. But then again, even if it was done by an authorized dealer, you may not get it covered, either.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Rookie

So, here's the update... I took the coach to a local dealer to check out the series 60 engine. They looked into the engine and noticed that one of the fuel injectors was leaking and another was the wrong type of fuel injector that didn't belong in that type of engine. Needless to say, I was somewhat shocked about that, because I just had the injectors done 8 months ago by my normal (not D/D authorized) mechanic. Anyway, upon removal of the injectors they discoved that the engine had coolant under the injector in the (??? cylinder head or something like that). Anyway, they originally said when they thought it was just the injectors that the price would be about 1200 dollars to replace all the injectors and get it up back together. But when they noticed the coolant leak/ problem they told me that would require much more labor and a part that costs 2700!! That would end up running up a bill of about 5000.00 dollars just to fix those items. Even then, the warranty would be limmited because he suggested with damage that was already caused to the engine would have voided the warranty. Additionally, even if there was a failure, which he felt was possible, it would only be the injectors that was covered. It was then that I asked about the STEP UP programs. ie; Reliablit rebuilds. He explained that they have them in different levels and further explained that I needed at least a level two to give the engine a warranty and get it up to par. He further noted that the warranty would include a year or 100K miles and the cost would be 10 thousand dollars, but noted that I could get an extended warranty if I'd like at an additional cost. I was somewhat confused what to do but was pretty sure that I didn't want to just spend five grand then still run into problems later. But then again, this is more then I expected to spend. So, I went on to ask... What is included in the Step Up 3 program? And he said that it included everything step up TWO included but also a Water Pump, and a couple of other parts, plus the warranty would be good for 2 years and 200K miles. I asked how much that one would cost and he stated that it was 12 thousand bucks. Then just for curiosity, i asked what the Step Up four was and the costs related. He said, step up four included compelete engine removal and replacement with factory redone engine and 250K warranty (i beleive warranty info to be correct??). The cost was 22500 dollars which included all labor. So, after thinking long and hard about it, I gave the green light for the Step up 3 program and will have the coach back on Thursday.

So, that is the stroy of my leaking Fuel into Oil thread. So, my last question to you guys is this; Do you think I made the right decision? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Rookie

So, here's the update... I took the coach to a local dealer to check out the series 60 engine. They looked into the engine and noticed that one of the fuel injectors was leaking and another was the wrong type of fuel injector that didn't belong in that type of engine. Needless to say, I was somewhat shocked about that, because I just had the injectors done 8 months ago by my normal (not D/D authorized) mechanic. Anyway, upon removal of the injectors they discoved that the engine had coolant under the injector in the (??? cylinder head or something like that). Anyway, they originally said when they thought it was just the injectors that the price would be about 1200 dollars to replace all the injectors and get it up back together. But when they noticed the coolant leak/ problem they told me that would require much more labor and a part that costs 2700!! That would end up running up a bill of about 5000.00 dollars just to fix those items. Even then, the warranty would be limmited because he suggested with damage that was already caused to the engine would have voided the warranty. Additionally, even if there was a failure, which he felt was possible, it would only be the injectors that was covered. It was then that I asked about the STEP UP programs. ie; Reliablit rebuilds. He explained that they have them in different levels and further explained that I needed at least a level two to give the engine a warranty and get it up to par. He further noted that the warranty would include a year or 100K miles and the cost would be 10 thousand dollars, but noted that I could get an extended warranty if I'd like at an additional cost. I was somewhat confused what to do but was pretty sure that I didn't want to just spend five grand then still run into problems later. But then again, this is more then I expected to spend. So, I went on to ask... What is included in the Step Up 3 program? And he said that it included everything step up TWO included but also a Water Pump, and a couple of other parts, plus the warranty would be good for 2 years and 200K miles. I asked how much that one would cost and he stated that it was 12 thousand bucks. Then just for curiosity, i asked what the Step Up four was and the costs related. He said, step up four included compelete engine removal and replacement with factory redone engine and 250K warranty (i beleive warranty info to be correct??). The cost was 22500 dollars which included all labor. So, after thinking long and hard about it, I gave the green light for the Step up 3 program and will have the coach back on Thursday.

So, that is the stroy of my leaking Fuel into Oil thread. So, my last question to you guys is this; Do you think I made the right decision? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

So..A complete overhaul...No?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member

did you make the right decision???? only time will tell. if after you have work done, the engine gives you many trouble free miles, than yeah, it would have been worth it.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The level three is evidently what my local Detroit dealer was referring. That is probably the most popular. The only difference I see between the level 3 and 4 is that with the level 4, they take your engine out and swap it with a new factory rebuilt engine. I don't think it would be worth an additional $10,000. You are wise to have gotten the new water pump. With the in-frame you should get a lot of use from the truck. An engine is the single most expensive component. I am glad you got to the bottom of the problem. If it was going to cost $5,000 to do the basic repairs, I would have gone ahead and done the rebuild, as well. It would likely have needed to be done before too long, anyway. If you had to do the rebuild in a year or two, you would still need to spend the $12,000 in addition to the $5,000.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member

hmmm...as an ex- mechanic ill tell you to take anything the service manager tells you with a grain of salt- Then Im curious about the coolant leak and the implications to the warranty- please elaborate.
Also, tell me how many miles that engine has, how long you had it, how you ran it , what oil pressure it was running at idle and going down the road, how much oil it was using and how much blow-by.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Thanks Guys!!! I didn't realize everyone was responding because I didn't look on page two.. lol Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. You are right GMAN, I would have most likely needed to spend the additional money later in addition to the 12K. I'm looking forward to the rebuilt engine and warranty that I wouldn't have had any other way. In the end it boils down to this I guess.... I just didn't want to get back on the road... Instead, I wanted to get back on the road and stay on the road with peace of mind. That was really what lead me to the overhaul steP up 3. I'll keep you all posted.