User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What about kids that were raised in a truck? I was 3 or 4 years old the first time that I stepped foot in a truck.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Cheeldren for trucking maybe not so bad. For when tyres are the bursting and exploding everywheres, many hands needed for sure to lift truck for changing wheels. Good string cheeldren possibilities helping. For sure :wink:
Old 03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
What about kids that were raised in a truck? I was 3 or 4 years old the first time that I stepped foot in a truck.
And look at how you turned out. :P
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
And look at how you turned out. :P
I agree, you're pretty screwed up there jackrabbit!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I was in a truck when I was two weeks old. Thats where I was most of the time until I had to go to school. And from then on I went along during breaks from school.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
I was in a truck when I was two weeks old. Thats where I was most of the time until I had to go to school. And from then on I went along during breaks from school.
While I still don't agree with that, you were still able to go to school, develop socially, and had freedom from that "box." A child home-schooled in a truck might as well be in prison. It really is not much different and today's Child Services will have a field day with it. That's not being mean...that is just the way it is.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can have two children, ages 5 and 10 in your truck. I want to take them on the road. I want to buy the large 120in condo and hire out. My wife will be getting her CDL and we home school.
It's legal if:

They are listed as Authorized Passengers, on a notorized letter from whoever holds the Authority. The letter must state the start and end date of the trip, and contain the information that the passenger is covered by the required insurance. (accident & medical) A trip for a minor is 30 days or less. Positive (Picture ID) is required.

AND

There must be a SEAT with a DOT approved restraint system appropriate to the size and age of each passenger. Bunk restraints DO NOT COUNT. The child restraint and seat belt laws DO APPLY to commercial vehicles. In fact, they are much stricter.

When a co-driver isn't driving they may (or may not) be classified as a passenger. This is a gray area in the regs and laws. (They conflict.)

So to be truly legal you need to add 2 forward facing seats with DOT approved restraint systems, installed to DOT specs, by a qualified installer. (Just bolting a seat to the cab floor DOES NOT COUNT, expect to have to prove the legality of the seats.) I don't think any manufacturer builds an off the line truck with the framing for a 2nd pair of seats, with shoulder belts. The only legal 3rd seat I've ever seen was in a custom sleeper, and the owner said it took close to a year to get the DOT approvals to have the sleeper built. He came in with an inch thick paperwork file to prove it, too. And even then, it was a b*tch to get insurance. And expensive...very, very expensive.

Since you are going to be one purchasing the insurance, start calling agents now.

The carrier can't authorize a passenger without insurance. It's not legal, and it sets them up for the lawsuit from hell. Which means it is the insurance company gets to set up any conditions they want, as long as they exceed the minimum required by law. And all you can do is try to find an insurance carrier with conditions you can live with.

That said, kids on a team truck is a BAD idea. The point of a team truck is that it's moving 22 hours a day. It's hard enough to have a single child with a solo driver, for any length of time. After the first few weeks or so, they hate the truck, they hate the food, they hate the road and they want to go home... With Daddy or Mommy if possible, but they are more than happy to volunteer to go home with the dispatchers, or the safety people, or the mechanics. We've all had offers, I could have had a dozen or so kids in the last year I worked in/around the office. It really should make you wonder just who else they volunteered to go home with...

Kids need to move, and play, and interact with people. None of which happens with a truck that is moving 22 hours a day.

Have you considered the basic logistics of the whole idea? You are driving, your wife is sleeping, and the kids are doing what? It's illegal (as well as extremely stupid) to be in the top bunk while the truck is moving. (that is why there are no restraints up there) So they are doing what? Watching videos, playing games? Picking fights? Can you sleep with the noise 4 feet away? In a moving truck? Can your wife? In 11 hours it's going to her turn to drive and your turn in the bunk. What are the kids doing then? When and where do they sleep? Have you ever shared a 32 inch bed with your 10 year old? What about potty breaks? What about your stuff? What about their toys, books, games? What's for dinner? Breakfast? Lunch?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Rookie
Default kids

First let me thank everyone who took the time to post. I do appreciate the thoughts; some I do not agree with but I truly am moved by what I feel is heartfelt concern for my children. This is much of what I am trying to instill in my children and I feel is much lacking in our society today.
I am happy to tell all that I was offered a job today on a local dedicated run. This do much to alleviate my present circumstances and get us back on track.
Thanks again to everyone.

keep em turn'in
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdY
It's legal if:

They are listed as Authorized Passengers, on a notorized letter from whoever holds the Authority. The letter must state the start and end date of the trip, and contain the information that the passenger is covered by the required insurance. (accident & medical) A trip for a minor is 30 days or less. Positive (Picture ID) is required.

AND

There must be a SEAT with a DOT approved restraint system appropriate to the size and age of each passenger. Bunk restraints DO NOT COUNT. The child restraint and seat belt laws DO APPLY to commercial vehicles. In fact, they are much stricter.

When a co-driver isn't driving they may (or may not) be classified as a passenger. This is a gray area in the regs and laws. (They conflict.)

So to be truly legal you need to add 2 forward facing seats with DOT approved restraint systems, installed to DOT specs, by a qualified installer. (Just bolting a seat to the cab floor DOES NOT COUNT, expect to have to prove the legality of the seats.) I don't think any manufacturer builds an off the line truck with the framing for a 2nd pair of seats, with shoulder belts. The only legal 3rd seat I've ever seen was in a custom sleeper, and the owner said it took close to a year to get the DOT approvals to have the sleeper built. He came in with an inch thick paperwork file to prove it, too. And even then, it was a b*tch to get insurance. And expensive...very, very expensive.
I like you already.