User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default quick poll rental shops

ok seeing as this is being thrown around as an idea right now and only a idea

I have no idea how to say this so ill spit it out as the ideas roll off my head...

Does any1 here see any objection to renting a shop that is supplied with air conditioning/ water/ and heat and also any necessary airtools / tire replacement tools and set up also to have a mig/tig welder on site.

my brother inlaw is contimplating opening up 5 shops, where u can work on your own truck, (monthly time limit thou) each shop would be placed around major centers around the midwest. each shop will be set up for 11 truck stalls, he wants to charge each person 100/mth just to be able to have the options of being able to work in the shop... any1 ever worked outside when its 0 degrees knows better! took me a hour to change 1 lightbulb last week.

approx 50-70 memberships will be sold per month, and thiers also a possability of a secured yard beting attached so u have to drive thru the shop to get into in......

my recomendation is to also find some mechanics who know each make/brand in and out who might be able to assist drivers at under the table wages.

my question is, any1 think this would go over and be a hit, 100 a month too much to ask for something u will use some months and sometimes not at all... and 3rd question, any ideas as for locations, only sask, alberta, montana and the dakoka's are the starting up points so far.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Senior Board Member

The big problem would be keeping the equipment in good shape and not "missing".

FYI, I pay $300 a month for a shop that's all mine.

Also, what if a bunch of guys want to use the shop at the same time? Or one truck is "out of commission" for a while, tying up the bay?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I think a problem you may run into is, unless it's going to be a PM Shop, drivers will want immediate access to the shop for their repair which will be impossible if all your bays are full.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Rookie

Insurance will really hurt you too.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think with that many people wanting access, that there would be some problems with scheduling repair times. Most will want access any time that they may want to work on their truck. If you furnish tools, it can also be a problem with equipment coming up missing. If it is something you are interested in pursuing I suggest talking to owner operators in your area and ask them. Locals may feel differently about it. I think you will need someone on site to protect your interests and see that tools are returned and in good shape. You would also need to do quite a bit of work on your truck to justify spending that much on a place to work on it part time.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Board Regular

double post. sorry

Never argue with idiot's....first they drag you down to their level.... then they beat you with experience!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Board Regular

Proffit,

I currently have a storage business for car's, boat's and RVs. 42,000 S/F total here in NY.
I looked into doing something similar but for car repair and I think if your B/law sits down and talks to an insurance agent this whole thing will be squashed.

Welding, torching, paint work and the possibility of someone unqualified using someone Else's tools and in this case, big tools.........the insurance premium would be HUGE!!!!
Imagine this scenario. Someone is welding/torching and the truck catches on fire. The truck fire goes out of control and the fire goes into other stalls burning down multiple vehicles. Now, your B/law knowingly allowed welding/torching AND supplied the tools to someone.
B/law really didn't know who was welding/torching much less if they they are trained in welding/torching or the proper use of fire extinguishers......Throw a body or two in there and/or a burn victim....Bad, real bad situation.

There is however, a place in Hershey Pa. called Millers Storage or something similar. I have been there. They have a business where people rented out spaces with power, heat and water to do their own car/boat repairs. They did not allow welding, torching or paint work. If I remember right, you had to rent for a minimum of 1 mo. Always full with a waiting list. I think, $225.00 per mo. and this was 10 or so years ago.
They were after people into car's who lived in apartments or simply didn't have a place to store/work on their car's. There were 3-4 long pole barn buildings with rows of roll up doors. I would guess 50 stalls?????

Feel free to P/M me if you have more questions.

Be good, Jim

Never argue with idiot's....first they drag you down to their level.... then they beat you with experience!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree with equipment coming up missing and scheduling conflicts.

On the positive side, if o/o's can do preventative maintenance, the scheduling conflict can be minimized. Keeping out "non-members" and non member trucks should be controlled too.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Maybe....B-law should consider opening ONE legitimate shop, in a central area, where multiple truck lanes converge..and run a shop that is reasonably priced, with skilled mechanics that actually know what they are doing ? :idea: :?: :?:

There needs to be something faster than the Dealership shops...and better than Petro & TA.

Bad FreightLiner...Bad Boy !!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Maybe....B-law should consider opening ONE legitimate shop, in a central area, where multiple truck lanes converge..and run a shop that is reasonably priced, with skilled mechanics that actually know what they are doing ? :idea: :?: :?:

There needs to be something faster than the Dealership shops...and better than Petro & TA.

Bad FreightLiner...Bad Boy !!!!

With a Hooters next door!!!!!
I like the wings but.............the legs are better

Be good, Jim