User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I don't see that happening tho...how are those trucks going to get back? Empty? I doubt that....I expect that there will be back hauls that will take freight from US hands. That's an assumption tho...does anybody know if these trucks will be allowed to pick up freight on the way back?

The example would be a Mexican doctor coming into a US hospital "AT HIS WAGES" and doing surgery here. The difference between Canada and Mexico is the VERY large wage difference. Canadian freight rates are similar to the US so they tend to keep the market steady so US drivers in Canada and Canadian drivers in the US don't upset the financial apple cart....allowing lo-cost Mexican drivers on US roads will drive down the rates...by the very free market principle you expound.

And I don't want to drive this conversation too much further as it tends to bring in some rather outspoken people and it becomes a Mexican bashing forum and that is not my intent.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member

They can take freight back that goes to Mexico, but not to the US. Just like Canadians. Same deal, we cannot touch your domestic freight. If we're in the states, either the load has to be coming from Canada, or going to Canada.

If we interstate, it's something like a $50,000 fine, loss of truck, and cannot enter the states for 8 years. Something like that.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
The trucks that you guys see in laredo, el paso, otay mesa/san diego are NOT the trucks that you will/may see running freight in the US. Why would anyone get a top of the line truck to shuttle trailers 20-30 miles a day as they do in those places!!!! The mexican drivers just like the american drivers have top of the line trucks also, ive seen them ive been in the lower part of mexico they have nice freightliners, kenworths, volvos, peterbuilts just as we do. Chrome, spinners, you name it they have it just as americans do. So why continue to bash the mexican drivers for lack of opportunity,as most people on here do???
Exactly, I've been saying the same thing for a long time.

Quote:
Actually most of the older American trucks are there, where do you think they all went?

Still see a lot of old Schneider, JB Hunt cabovers there.
Those cabovers wind up in Russia quite a bit too.