User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If accurate, I don't think my speed is very good. I ran it twice. The first time it was at 923 kps. The second it was 896 kps.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Rookie
Default aircards

Yes, aircards work fine while driving. Be careful who you get an aircard through though. I had an aircard through one of the big name companies (I don't want to say their name on this site due to liabilities). Since I drove longhaul I would occationally miss the bill in the mail. My service was cut off repeatedly due to non-payment (less than 15 days overdue). The last time it was cut off I paid the bill and 2 weeks later it was shut off agian for late payment. I told the company to disconntinue service. Now 3 months later...I now owe for 4 months of bills when the service was turned off. Needless to say, I have been around and around with these people and STILL owe 4 months of bills. So be careful who you deal with.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: aircards

Quote:
Originally Posted by landstartammy
Yes, aircards work fine while driving. Be careful who you get an aircard through though. I had an aircard through one of the big name companies (I don't want to say their name on this site due to liabilities). Since I drove longhaul I would occationally miss the bill in the mail. My service was cut off repeatedly due to non-payment (less than 15 days overdue). The last time it was cut off I paid the bill and 2 weeks later it was shut off agian for late payment. I told the company to disconntinue service. Now 3 months later...I now owe for 4 months of bills when the service was turned off. Needless to say, I have been around and around with these people and STILL owe 4 months of bills. So be careful who you deal with.
Sounds like Cingular or Verizon to me. they can really take the heart out of heartless...Not that I would know mind you.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Automatic bill-pay 8)

Cingular is quick to pull the plug, but, I still stay with them :roll: :lol:
Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Rookie

with verizon you can elect to have bill notifications sent via e-mail or text message to your phone. also I check/pay online

NO?

Well, there's really no wrong way to do it...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Use www.2wire.com for your speed test. Very simple and fast to come up. Verizon has an agreement with many other cell companies to provide internet connectivity when your Verizon cell phone doesn't work. I was in Vernal Utah and messed up my connection and couldn't remember the password. I called Verizon and they gave me my password and said there is no coverage in Vernal UT. They also said I must have been using an unprotected cell provider.
thanks for the link steve, i gave it a try and it said i loaded up their web page from 2wire.com at about 125 kbps tonight (65 miles south of Indy)

i think i like dslreports.com a little better because it loads random web pages from all over the internet (not just from dslreports.com) plus i get to see that speedometer thingy makes me feel like a computer geek trucker. too bad the test uses flash tho, not sure if there is a non-flash version out there or not for those who dont have flash installed or just prefer the simplicity...

one thing i read about 2wire.com...
apparently their test is not meant to test the speed of your ISP connection
(from 2wire.com)

What does this test actually measure?
This connection tests how fast your computer can load a Web page from the 2Wire Website. It does not measure the speed of your ISP connection, but rather the speed at which the page is received and appears in your browser.

Why do other "bandwidth" meters give different results?
Bandwidth does not always mean the same thing, other meters measure how fast your connection is able to find a requested Website, or how fast you can send and receive email.

How do I determine if my results are good or poor?
Your results should be consistent and should not change dramatically. If you receive inconsistent results, such as a high number then a low number, you may be experiencing a problem with your connection.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Automatic bill-pay 8)

Cingular is quick to pull the plug, but, I still stay with them :roll: :lol:
Don't I know it. Used to run with US Celluar. I could go 2 months without paying, would pay an extra $5 per month late, make my 2 month payment, and everyone was happy. Tried that with Cingular, 15 days overdue and got the "Your service has been temp. suspended, please call Cust. Care."

YUCK!!! But yeah... won't leave em... Sitting here in camphill, pa and have full Signal on the Data card, tested my speed, and hit 1.4Mbs per second, yeaaa baby!!! :lol:

Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Board Member

We had Nextel when the cards were first coming out and then after Nextel and Sprint merged we were able to port our data plan over to Sprint. I spent a lot of time on the phone when we did it but I got the new air card for free. If you keep an eye on their special offers, you can get one for free if you have at least one Sprint phone and you are starting a new data service.

The Nextel card was terrible. Slower than dial up. The Sprint card is way faster than dial up- though I doubt it qualifies as broadband.

We keep dial-up at the house since we have two lap tops and several desk tops. That way we can both go online. We only have ONE air card!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh- and we use it going down the road (but not while driving gman :wink: ) all the time. It's strange- sometimes the air card will have a signal when the cell phone doesn't and vice versa it seems. Usually it's a bad signal if one or the other has one. The air card cannot roam vs. the cell phone which can.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Board Regular

I just got a Verizon aircard. This trip out is my first road trip with it. Already worth it's weight in gold 8) I got a load out of the Grand Junction, CO area yesterday, and a connecting load home for the weekend, thanks to having the card and being able to hunt for loads in my truck while my dispatcher was taking a nap or something... kidding...

As to speed, it is broadband fast in the larger cities, and like a fast dialup/slow DSL in the other areas.

For $59 per month, I am tickled to have it and it will pay for itself in no time. I am having a few technical problems but overall it's great. I listened to the Paragliding Radio Talk show today on online radio while driving from Idaho Falls to Twin Falls instead of the same old XM channels... a nice change :P

Now if I can just get my truck to run on all six cylinders instead of five... ops:
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena;
whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows the great enthusiasms,
the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course;
who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls
who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt