Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Do aircards work while driving? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/25064-do-aircards-work-while-driving.html)

allan5oh 02-23-2007 09:05 PM

Do aircards work while driving?

Do aircards work while driving? What do you guys use? Any complaints?

New requirements at the border pretty much make it necessary for me to have means of faxing items any time/any where. Also, the boss would really like to be able to access the internet while I'm driving.

tootie04 02-23-2007 09:45 PM

Yep, We have the sprint broadband card and I LOVE it. I am on the internet alot while hubby is driving.

Do a search on faxing from the truck there is a good thread I started about that too.

tootie

GMAN 02-23-2007 09:45 PM

The short answer is that the air cards work while driving. However, I hope you won't drive while getting on the Internet. I use Sprint and it works fairly well. If you have a cell phone signal, you should have a signal for your air card, since they operate on the same towers.

jnk2001 02-23-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
The short answer is that the air cards work while driving. However, I hope you won't drive while getting on the Internet. I use Sprint and it works fairly well. If you have a cell phone signal, you should have a signal for your air card, since they operate on the same towers.

Never had an aircard, is it very fast? I have a cable modem and really spoiled on how fast it is..

devildice 02-23-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:

Never had an aircard, is it very fast? I have a cable modem and really spoiled on how fast it is..

they are not as fast as cable.....more like dial-up speeds

tootie04 02-23-2007 11:22 PM

Our Sprint broadband card is MUCH faster than dial-up. In fact we have discontinued cable modem at the house in favor of the broadband card.

tootie

emerlin 02-24-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:

they are not as fast as cable.....more like dial-up speeds

Depends on your signal. At our main terminal I was getting Internet when I couldn't use my cell, but it was slow. Today, in Spokane, it's about as fast as my cable modem at home.

I'm on Verizon, BTW.

GMAN 02-24-2007 10:36 AM

My first Sprint air card was about as fast as dial up. The new one I have seems about as fast as DSL. Much of the speed depends on where I am. If there is a lot of traffic it can slow the speed down somewhat. The air cards are much faster than WiFi you find at many of the truck stops.

Orangetxguy 02-24-2007 05:46 PM

What is the monthly cost of an aircard??

BanditsCousin 02-24-2007 06:32 PM

Usually around 59/mo, depending on your service. i think verizon is around 70/mo.

Of course, they try to get you to buy a 250$ card first, but theres a lot of rebates out there.