User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default want to be o/O

I'm a new driver (6 months) with an OTR van company and interested in becoming o/o. Really want a dedicated route out of S. Florida and back, not interested in running all 48 states anymore. I'm 40 and managed to hide a few bucks away from my daughters (they're in college need I say more) so i can afford to buy a truck. I enjoy driving and was thinking o/o would allow me to run the States I liked and put a few bucks in my pocket. I'm not trying to make millions just hoping to put food on the table doing something I like. Can anyone tell me if this is realistic and where i can find info about becoming an o/o. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:26 AM

I'll start with the first anwser. Stay with your company for some time. You've got six months in, and things are going good I'm guessing. Good to know you have cash saved. Save some more, and when you think you've saved enough, save even more. Keep asking questions, and give it a another year or so to decide if you want to make an investment in the buisness.

I love to drive, but there are days were I'd like to throw my self through the front windshield. I'm still in the begining stages of becoming an O/O, meaing I'm still looking at my options of financing, or straight out buying a decent used truck. . And I've been driving for 6+ years, 5 of those wanting to make the change. Take your time, don't rush.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Same thing serbie said AND remember you need that 2 years exp in order to get ins. that does not restrict your driving distances. Also you will have a much better undrstanding of the trucking business in general.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 02-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You will need at least 1 year of experience to lease to most carriers. Some may require longer. Tootie is correct about it being difficult to find insurance without at least 2 years experience. Some carriers offer insurance to those to whom they lease on, but those may or may not be the best rates. Most drivers get in too big of a hurry to go out and buy a truck. You still have much to learn. At this point, you don't really know whether you want to stay in this business. Buying a truck is a much bigger decision than most realize. There are a lot of hidden expenses you don't know about until you own the truck. I don't want to discourage you from buying a truck, but would encourage you to give it some time. Learn as much as you can over the next year or so. You will need to at least wait until you get a year under your belt. If I were you, I would take this time to check expenses and some of the costs of running a truck. Write everything down in a composition book or ring binder. That will give you an idea of what you can expect running your own truck. If you blow a tire, it will need to be replaced. Unless you are able to purchase on national account, you can count on spending as much as $500 for a single tire. Repairing flats run from about $32-45. I don't recall any time when I have called for road service where it didn't cost at least $200. Most times it runs more than $300. I usually spend around $200 each time I have the oil changed. Dealers can charge close to $300. I try to change my oil at 15,000 miles. That means when I run as I should, I will change my oil between 4-6 weeks. When you purchase fuel, your carrier is likely getting discounts for which you may not qualify as an owner operator. It can be difficult finding discounted fuel with a single truck. There is much more to running a truck than putting in fuel and driving. We have discussed in detail about some of the costs. You may want to do a search to check some of the hidden costs.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Rookie

You really need to pay your dues and 6 months isn't enough.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 PM

Come on is it really all that hard to make it as a o/o ?? Is'nt there plenty of work out there ??
Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Board Regular

No, there is not plenty of work. Unless you want to work for free. There is plenty of cheap freight. I have been sitting here since Monday (now Weds night) without a load this week. Albeit, I needed to stay "local" this week due to a commitment this weekend, next week I will long-haul.

Owner Operator? I have been one now, bona-fide and certi-fied, for one year. I just figured out what I made last year. NOT counting depreciation on my truck, I netted about $3,000 LAST YEAR. THAT IS MY WAGES FOR 2006. Which is not really, cuz that is without depreciation. Now, if you remove my truck payments, and remove my "meals allowance" per the IRS figures, I made about $15,000 last year. The truck payments are just that, payments on a quickly depreciating asset, which I will never see back in the way of "investment". So, if you take that away, and figure your meals you had to eat anyway, I made about $10,000 last year.

If you are a company driver, and you pulled down $35-50,000 last year, count your blessings, keep driving, and put your money in the bank. So why do I keep on as an O/O? For one, I had a DUI awhile back. Meaning, no one will hire me. Ironically, I CAN find insurance and work for myself, but not for anyone else. THAT is why I am an O/O.

This year SHOULD be better. I have my 350 mile restriction off and can run some long loads and Lord Willing, make some money.

But as to "plenty of freight"... sure, if you can figure out how a buck a mile will pay all your expenses plus pay you a living wage. :roll:
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena;
whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows the great enthusiasms,
the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course;
who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls
who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhbull
Come on is it really all that hard to make it as a o/o ?? Is'nt there plenty of work out there ??
Its the good paying work thats a bit harder to find. Theres plenty of cheap work out there
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I just got an offer for a nice haul from Dover NH to Sikeston MO. 40,000 pounds pays $1,450 for 1330 miles. Needs to be tarped also.

My email to this broker below.

Hi Jim,

Pretty funny. 1,330 miles for $1,450 is $1.08 per mile.

Don't call. Not interested in anything you have or may have!

Steve
Old 02-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhbull
If you are asking this question you have no clue. Now go back to watching the qualcomm