User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Poorboy - really look into the mpg - in our shop they are about dead even between cat and cummins. everyone is around 5.8 to 6.3 with one guy I know getting 4.1 (565 cummins). It just isn't as cut and dry as it used to be.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy126
Just a thought if your looking at a 86" studio W900L, I have one with a 500 Detroit, 355 gears, 13 fuller and 280" wb. I get between 5.8 and 6.3 mpg depending on where I run and how fast I run. I like the fuel mileage but The Detroit doesn't come close to pulling like a Cat. Also, my weight with full tanks(dual 150's) is just over 21000 so keep that in mind if you plan on running a lot of 45000 pound loads. I plan on getting a Cummins next, I believe them to be the best of both worlds. Better mileage then a Cat and better pulling power then a Detroit. Just my opinions hope it helps.

I totally agree. We are in an 07KW with an ISX cummins and it is averaging 6.5 MPG but it is a lease truck which is why we are hunting an older used truck. We have been approved for financing BUT need 6,000 down and we are a little short so we need to save up some more.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I have 3406E's in my trucks. They are real work horses. I have over 800M miles on one and it has never had the head off. (Knock on wood) :wink: The truck runs great. It would not surprise me if I got more than a million miles on the engine before having an in-frame. I think it is a good idea to have an oil analysis at least every 3rd oil change. I have known of some who have an analysis done at every oil change. It is one of the least expensive preventative checks you can do to an engine. It can alert you to potential bearing failures or other component problems. It is much less expensive to make repairs before a component fails. Some oil change service centers can give you the results on site before you leave the premises. Flying J at the Grapevine, California will do them on site, or did.
So, Gman, you have a KW with a 3406E cat engine. what yr is it? And what tranny do you have?
you know, everytime i see your avatar, I keep thinking I'll see some guy in a KW with a blue hood, and think, hey! It's Gman...too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
also GMan u did'nt mention the dyno test is this as important as the oil analysis?

cheers

It would probably be a good idea to have a dyno done on any truck you plan on buying. I would not be quite as concerned about a dyno if the engine has just had an overhaul and the seller had the paperwork. But for the cost, it would probably be worth it just for peace of mind. The oil analysis checks different things than the dyno. For a couple of hundred dollars, it is a small price to pay for confidence. You can tell a lot about a truck by driving it and seeing how it has been taken care of by the previous driver or owner. If the interior is well maintained, then the maintenance has probably been done in a timely manner.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I have 3406E's in my trucks. They are real work horses. I have over 800M miles on one and it has never had the head off. (Knock on wood) :wink: The truck runs great. It would not surprise me if I got more than a million miles on the engine before having an in-frame. I think it is a good idea to have an oil analysis at least every 3rd oil change. I have known of some who have an analysis done at every oil change. It is one of the least expensive preventative checks you can do to an engine. It can alert you to potential bearing failures or other component problems. It is much less expensive to make repairs before a component fails. Some oil change service centers can give you the results on site before you leave the premises. Flying J at the Grapevine, California will do them on site, or did.
So, Gman, you have a KW with a 3406E cat engine. what yr is it? And what tranny do you have?
you know, everytime i see your avatar, I keep thinking I'll see some guy in a KW with a blue hood, and think, hey! It's Gman...too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a 98 with a 10 speed. Yea, just look for a guy in a blue mask driving a KW down the highway. :lol:
Old 01-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

A suggestion for "Testing" components on high mileage trucks...Get a test trailer put on it, then haul it down the rad for 30 miles out and back. With at least a gross weight of 65K#'s you will have a chance to feel and hear most problems, on a 60 mile drive.
LOL...Have the Sales-Manager riding with ya too!!!

:moose:
Old 01-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I think the price is fair for the 1.1mil w/new motor and studio. If all the components in the suspension and chassis are as you say (replaced at some time) it could be a hell of a deal. As far as cat engines, I prefer them over the detroit any day of the week. My dad had a cat from his 96 T600 (bought new) and the engine lasted until 750,000miles when he traded it in, and the shop the motor could pass for 1/2 as many miles!

It all depends on how it was maintained, and how it was driven. Also, what it has hauled.

For those of you die-hard ebay/truckpaper browsers, you'll notice sometimes you see "hhg truck" or similar, because a normal (stock) truck for hhg sees a lot of deadhaed and light loads (compared to freight) and usually are grossing 65-70K gross. Of course, more can be added, but I'm sayin on average. Also, if it came from a fleet or not could matter...

I'd love to buy a "fleet truck" if the fleet manager could keep 1 experienced driver in it, not 30 different drivers, 1/2 out of CDL school (nothing against new drivers).

Bandit says dyno it, have it looked at, and make $$ with it. Your depreciation on it will be an added benefit taxwise 8)
Old 01-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
A suggestion for "Testing" components on high mileage trucks...Get a test trailer put on it, then haul it down the road for 30 miles out and back.
Agreed, Bandit 2nd's that in the 3rd person :lol: