Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: used trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
I see that most truckers agree that a Dyno Test and oil analysis is a must for buying a used truck but what if the truck is fairly new like 2-3 years old with no more then 250,000 miles or less.. should u still do both test? Hope I'm not hijacking

Cheers

I have known of engines that have had to be rebuilt with about 300,000 miles. It depends on how well the truck was maintained and driven. :shock:
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 PM

Once saw a CAT with 300k on it that was so bad - complete swap had to be done. We couldn't even get a short block - had to piece it together.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't think I have ever heard of a CAT not lasting longer than 300,000 miles, but the brand doesn't matter if the engine is abused and maintenance thrown to the wind. I think I have heard of more Cummins not lasting as long as Detroit and CAT. But if gunk builds up in the engine it will not properly lubricate components resulting in failure. Frequent oil changes will help prevent or at least prolong component failure. That is why I don't always use mileage as the indicator as to whether a truck is in good shape or not.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I don't think I have ever heard of a CAT not lasting longer than 300,000 miles, but the brand doesn't matter if the engine is abused and maintenance thrown to the wind. I think I have heard of more Cummins not lasting as long as Detroit and CAT. But if gunk builds up in the engine it will not properly lubricate components resulting in failure. Frequent oil changes will help prevent or at least prolong component failure. That is why I don't always use mileage as the indicator as to whether a truck is in good shape or not.
My dad had a 3406E CAT (425hp) that went 800,000 before he did an in-frame on it. He finally sold it at 1.2m and it is still on the road hauling lumber and probably has atleast 1.4 on it now. With that being said... he is religous about PM and has oil analysis done at frequent intervals to keep a check on things.

These new generation CAT engines have a long way to catch up to the old 3406's. The new EPA laws and low sulphur diesel doesn't help it though.

IMO, it is a pretty big gamble to buy a truck without some kinda idea to what is going on with it. You consider most of these engines cost atleast 12-13k to rebuild and an oil analysis makes alot of since! Just my .02 though!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have 3406E's in my trucks. They are real work horses. I have over 800M miles on one and it has never had the head off. (Knock on wood) :wink: The truck runs great. It would not surprise me if I got more than a million miles on the engine before having an in-frame. I think it is a good idea to have an oil analysis at least every 3rd oil change. I have known of some who have an analysis done at every oil change. It is one of the least expensive preventative checks you can do to an engine. It can alert you to potential bearing failures or other component problems. It is much less expensive to make repairs before a component fails. Some oil change service centers can give you the results on site before you leave the premises. Flying J at the Grapevine, California will do them on site, or did.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 AM
Default oil

Thanks GMAN I will get that done on my next purchase..
Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Default oil

also GMan u did'nt mention the dyno test is this as important as the oil analysis?

cheers
Old 01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Board Regular

Unless it is unavoidable my dad hardly ever uses the "big chain" maintenance centers. We have a local mechanic that we TRUST to do all the pm and mild maintenance. Engine work is left to the engine dealers. It amazes me of all the incompetent mechanics out there these days! Not to mention they charge you an arm and a leg for doing anything. I hate having someone work on my equipment that I do not know. I realize that its hard to do all the time, but I recommend trying to find a good mechanic with a trusted reputation.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:42 AM

Gman - that CAT was lunched.

I know of a 3406 mechanical with 2.4 million on it. Guy is religious about his PM's with Rotella and Cat filters.

CAT's tend to have water pumps go out, Cummins - EGR, Detroit (at one time) had a problem with ventilating the block with a piston.

They all have their quirks. I am a CAT man - their warranty/policy department is much more open minded than Cummins.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Just a thought if your looking at a 86" studio W900L, I have one with a 500 Detroit, 355 gears, 13 fuller and 280" wb. I get between 5.8 and 6.3 mpg depending on where I run and how fast I run. I like the fuel mileage but The Detroit doesn't come close to pulling like a Cat. Also, my weight with full tanks(dual 150's) is just over 21000 so keep that in mind if you plan on running a lot of 45000 pound loads. I plan on getting a Cummins next, I believe them to be the best of both worlds. Better mileage then a Cat and better pulling power then a Detroit. Just my opinions hope it helps.