User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It's the first thread I check when I log in every day. Really enjoy reading about your adventure Steve.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
After that a tour bus coming back from the Hover Damn stopped filled with Russian tourists. Half the bus took a turn sitting in the drivers seat of my cab and getting there picture taken.
OMG. Did anybody else bust up on that line?
You must be a fun guy Steve. They will have alot to show the folks back home. If you get any email from them be sure and share it.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I remember having a group of tourists get all giggly when I let them get in the drivers seat. Since it's all cabovers across the pond. I told them my truck is a baby compared to some of the trucks in the states. Damn 244" max wheelbase.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Here's a picture of either a car or tractor trailer burned to the ground. None of us could figure what it was. It was long enough to be a tractor but it pretty much melted. My guess is that it took hours for the fire department to get there. You can see on the sides of the road where MANY cars have burned. I can't figure out why? Not like it's 200 degrees out there.
coulda been a motorhome...they have a habit of doin that.... :?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
It's fun to read, still couldn't get rid of impression, that I'm reading some "cartoon" story....no offense!
No offense taken. :P
Old 12-28-2006, 09:55 AM

When those Russian people came over to me, my truck was parked at the very back of this dirt parking lot across from Dairy Queen in the desert. It was parked in a way that made it a nice picture with the desert and mountains in the background. I at least remembered a little Russian and was able to say goodbye, "Das Vedonea". Not sure the spelling.

I dropped my load off yesterday and the customer was very nice but did not like the state that the crane parts showed up in. It was all cosmetic but they expected there not to be a single scratch on the nice yellow painted parts. Not easy when 10 chains are holding it down and many beams up against one another. It was dirty too from dust getting under the tarp and some parts were already rusting from the condensation that came from the hot and cold. Both wooden skids were crushed from the weight of the hoist motors. I did hit two dips in the road there were unbelievable and no warning and I'm sure that's what did it. The hoist motors are about 500 pounds a piece and should have been on 4x4's and not little skids. One of the motors slid into a steel girder and dented the side panel. When the motor crushed the skid the strap that was holding it down now had enough play that it was able to move. This is my 3rd crane for these people and the last thing to unload is to pick up all the loose pieces laying around. The shipped load a large crate with like 1000 pieces of odds and ends which should be shrink wrapped so everything flys out. I've mentioned this to the shipper but his response is always that it's tarped so it's fine. After dropping the load off I called the management and told them about the customer complaints and the next time a truck is loaded that they should look at it before the tarp is put on and common sense will tell them it's not right. We'll see.

I'm sitting in a Pilot somewhere off Rt 15 about 80 miles north of Carlsbad. I beat feet to the nearest truckstop I could find. It took about 4 hours to get here. 2pm and the traffic was incredible. 4 lanes of stop and go for hours and these people deal with this every day. I can only imagine what it's like at rush hour. All the truckers were telling jokes and being pretty good.

My truck is posted as available for today and we'll see what happens. If I don't get a load today chances are I'll be stuck here for the weekend. There was one load going from here to NY which is close to home so I bid $1.80 a mile. I got an email back with a "ha ha ha, not even close".

I have to tell you, there are a lot of OTR people out there with there own authority driving some of the biggest pieces of crap I've ever seen. I'm talking oil leaking left and right, engine making really bad sounds, smoke coming from the engine and all sorts of other stuff. So, you don't have to have a nice truck to be in this business.

My prepass has been great, get a green light on every weigh station and blow by. It blinks for 20 minutes after I go past and I mentioned it before and found out why. If for some reason the weigh station thinks I didn't get a green light and comes after me they will see that I did indeed get the green.

Not much else to report. It was a good trip all in all and enjoying my down time right now waiting for my next load. Time to clean, tighten, check, wash the truck and all that happy stuff. Had a mean Pepper Steak last night!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth

My truck is posted as available for today and we'll see what happens. If I don't get a load today chances are I'll be stuck here for the weekend. There was one load going from here to NY which is close to home so I bid $1.80 a mile. I got an email back with a "ha ha ha, not even close".

That was a real professional response they gave you there. :roll: I can't stand brokers with that attitude. They'd be the one to get po'd at you if they made a lowball offer and you laughed at them.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:21 PM

I thought today was Friday instead of Thursday so I may have a chance at getting out of here today or tomorrow. I don't really mind, there's a cafe here and I just had probably the best breakfast I've ever eaten!!!

I forgot to mention about last night. I shut off the TV and was going to go to sleep and cracked the window a little. I could hear what sounded like Indian music played on a flute or whatever you call them. Since I was in an area with lots of Indian stores and such I thought the Pilot played this at night for everyone. I was like, this is cool and went to sleep. I woke a few times during the night and it was still playing. Well, this morning I woke up and I'm listening and think, geeze, it really isn't that good whoever is playing it and I think I could do better than that. When I got out of my truck this morning I could here it coming from the tanker next to me. When I looked closer it was the wicked wind blowing over pipes that was making the sound all night...DUH

I see a lot of loads going to Colorado so I'm guessing I may get something there at a good rate maybe since there getting whacked again. I'm up for a snow storm again and chaining up. The desert run was pretty boring and I need a little more excitement.

Back again to edit this post.

Phone just rang and I got a load to Aspen Colorado leaving on Saturday. I could have had the load for tomorrow but they said it didn't matter and it needed to be there on Wed. It's concert equipment. I wonder who's playing next week there after Wed??? I'm guessing it's Aerosmith and he's going to ask me to take his daughter Liv with me because she's always wanted to ride in a truck. lol

Better get the chains ready!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I dropped my load off yesterday and the customer was very nice but did not like the state that the crane parts showed up in. It was all cosmetic but they expected there not to be a single scratch on the nice yellow painted parts. Not easy when 10 chains are holding it down and many beams up against one another. It was dirty too from dust getting under the tarp and some parts were already rusting from the condensation that came from the hot and cold. Both wooden skids were crushed from the weight of the hoist motors. I did hit two dips in the road there were unbelievable and no warning and I'm sure that's what did it. The hoist motors are about 500 pounds a piece and should have been on 4x4's and not little skids. One of the motors slid into a steel girder and dented the side panel. When the motor crushed the skid the strap that was holding it down now had enough play that it was able to move. This is my 3rd crane for these people and the last thing to unload is to pick up all the loose pieces laying around. The shipped load a large crate with like 1000 pieces of odds and ends which should be shrink wrapped so everything flys out. I've mentioned this to the shipper but his response is always that it's tarped so it's fine. After dropping the load off I called the management and told them about the customer complaints and the next time a truck is loaded that they should look at it before the tarp is put on and common sense will tell them it's not right. We'll see.
You accepted the load the way they had it skidded and secured. It is your responsibility, not theirs.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

You accepted the load the way they had it skidded and secured. It is your responsibility, not theirs.
Not my problem, this is the way the shipper wants it. I already spoke to management and they want it this way also. They say it would cost way more to crate and shrink wrap then it would for the field rep to touch up after putting it together. This is the 3rd crane so far that arrived like this. I'm just a little upset that I have to listen to the customer as I pretty much represent the manufacturer in there eyes. I get paid and no blame. I just wanted to make sure the management knew about this and they do.
Closed Thread